a true confession...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
....ok, this isn't so serious, but it is a confession: I just took out another student loan (I'm already about $50,000 in debt for school) so I could afford more U2 tickets. Hehe, and I co-signed it as my dad (good thing I have all his employment info on file!).

But just listen....most people buy their tickets with credit cards, right? And the interest rates I'm getting on my student loans are sometimes less than HALF the interest rates of credit card debt...so this was an OK choice, right? Not to mention I can defer payment until I'm done with school.

:D

did you GET the tickets?! If so, I doubt anyone HERE'S going to complain...:wink:

blahblahblah said:
did you GET the tickets?! If so, I doubt anyone HERE'S going to complain...:wink:

Well, not yet. I'm probably buying them from the same broker I used for the previous shows I went top, since I can't find any available from fans. I just got the e-mail saying my dad's credit was approved, so I have to print the loan, sign it, have my dad sign it, have the school approve it, have it disbursed, and go to school and have them write me a check before I can get the tickets, but I should have the $$$ in hand within a month. It won't be too complicated b/c the majority of the loan covers a summer class I'm taking, so I'll tell them the additional balance is for textbooks and summer living expenses.

I spend a lot of money travelling (well and on U2) and my philosophy is when you have over $50K in *educational* loans, what's another 1000 or 2000? I figure travelling is SO worth it.

:up:

I'm proud to say I have not touched any of my credit cards to help see U2. But if I was eligible for student loans, I don't know if I'd be able to hold back. ;)

All is fair in love and war..... so....

one more in the name of love, so to say :yes:

Tax deductable...... mmm....

As a person with such horrid credit that I'll never be able to buy a house of my own (at least for 7 years) I'll go ahead and agree with Iris. :sigh:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
As a person with a lot of debt, I am going to be the first one in here to say this was not a smart idea.

Well, the thing is though, a lot of this student loan is going towards an actual class for this summer so it's not like she just got this for tickets. Only a smaller portion of it.

But when she's done with school...and i become a professional baseb...ahem....slow pitch softball player. Debt won't be an issue...:help:

Never even thought of this. I'm having such rotten luck finding summer employment as a student that I should've enrolled for a summer course, got the student funding and used some of it to see U2 somewhere this summer! Damn, why do all the good ideas come to me after the fact?:mad:

I would never have taken out a loan to see U2. I don't think they're worth it. :silent: I coud cry already at the thought of the amount my university life is costing me. I can't not go abroad either and the pay I'll be getting is "just enough to scrape by on", add flights home/ Spain/ France on to that plus a 2 month stay at a French university, I'll have to borrow more money.

I can see myself living at home for a long, long time. My friend is 26 this year and he just moved out of his parents house. He's on a pretty high wage too. :huh:

Yeah, like Phil said, I would've taken the loan anyway. I owe my mom over $500 already so there was no WAY I could pay the $1290 for my 3-credit summer course before June 20 (due when the class starts). When you're over $50,000 in debt already (and I don't even have a house, car, or credit card), what's another $400?

With all of that debt, there's no way I would have gone further into debt just to see U2. Hell, I'm not into that much debt...but even I decided to just pass on this tour.

With the last two tours, there was no question about it: I felt like I absolutely HAD to see U2. I've come to realize that seeing U2 is not the necessity it sometimes seems. It's a luxury, and I can't always experience luxury.

Bonochick said:

With the last two tours, there was no question about it: I felt like I absolutely HAD to see U2. I've come to realize that seeing U2 is not the necessity it sometimes seems. It's a luxury, and I can't always experience luxury.

Yes, a luxury it is. I guess my excuse would be I've passed up on a lot of other things to make this happen. I never buy music CDs, attend other concerts (the only other concerts I've ever been to in my life were at my school, cheap student-rate $3 tickets), I don't own an iPod or even a regular stereo/radio, and I've never owned any type of cell phone. I guess if I had done all these more "normal" things, it would amout to way more than I'm spending on the concert tickets. I'm also grateful that I don't really have to travel to see U2. We can drive to Chicago and stay with relatives downtown. There's no WAY I'd ever be able to fly or pay for hotel rooms.

I also have a pretty conservative personality and all I really have ever done since I started high school was school and work. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where within the next year, things will get serious and right now I need just one chance to (literally) go for broke and have a great time.

martha said:
Plus, when you get to itemize on your tax deductions, student loan interest is deductable.

:D

I have a home equity line of credit just sitting there, interest of which is also tax deductible. Home repairs or U2? :hmm:

But I'm too practical. :|

Last edited:
martha said:

I've seen them 9 times in the past four years. My house is the worst-looking house in the neighborhood.

I believe one of us has her priorities straight. :angry:

I only saw them 7 times in the last 4 years, lol, and am trying to get the brand new condo ready to put it back on the market because I fucking hate it. So actually, I could use the HELOC for a couple of shows since I'm going to pay it off when I sell it anyway. :hmm:

i have amassed $20 000 in student debt picking up my BA and half my masters while attending several concerts (including U2), hockey games, taking flights and buying beer.

we must live!

Back
Top Bottom