a predicament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I just tried listening to HTDAAB for the first time since the ticket fiasco mess. I got terribly depressed and had to switch to Hesperus. I am really starting to feel like my favorite band has been ripped off from me. Damn this avalanche of hate. It's not George Bush who makes me want to leave the U.S and never want to come home, it's these haters. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
Hm, this makes me think seriously of available men in Turkey. If I marry one I can become a Turkish citizen, I think. Does anyone know any more about this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
Punkass 71 said:
one time i had a friend from turkey ask me to marry him. he wanted to be a u.s. citizen. i kindly said no...

It's vice versa for me. I want to become a Turkish citizen. Maybe I should just contact the Turkish embassy and ask how you become a citizen. I just applied for membership on a Turkish listserv, and hope to find out more soon. I know this is drastic, but this calls for drastic action. It is too f:censored:g hard for me to live here. It's emotionally draining, and it's making me miserable. It's not worth the extra living standard. No standard of living is worth a damn if you're miserable. That's about my situation now. I'd rather live around nice, supportive, people, I've had my fill of life among the :censored:holes. If I can get away from them, I'll be happier, that's for damn sure. I'm desperate. I'm so tired of this situation I could die.

Last edited:
Of course if this doesn't work I have family in Italy. My niece has chosen Italian over U.S. citizenship. This doesn't surprise me as she's grown up there, is attending university there and will be working there. It's home to her. The only time she even speaks English is when she's visiting us.

Last edited:
Would leaving your friends and family make you feel that much better? Maybe you could start with a holiday to clear your mind a bit. Or even learning Ostrich syndrome.
:hug:

verte76 said:
I just tried listening to HTDAAB for the first time since the ticket fiasco mess. I got terribly depressed and had to switch to Hesperus. I am really starting to feel like my favorite band has been ripped off from me.

Aw, verte. :hug: Just remember that NOBODY can take the band and all the great music and great things they've done away from you. And there are lots of us who feel exactly like you do about the hate and bad stuff being expressed out there. We love the band and will be loyal no matter what anyone says. :heart:

On a happier note, your trip to Turkey sounds great! I've never been there myself, but I have been to Jordan, and I know that people in the eastern Mediterranean part of the world are generally very kind and welcoming. I know you'll have a great time! And you'll have lots of good stories to tell all of us! :)

It would be so hard to leave my family and home. I shouldn't rush such drastic decisions. But honestly, it shouldn't be hard to beat this awful situation. I'm damned tired of life here. I'll never be happy here, why even try? It's too cutthroat, you never know when some jerk is holding out a razor, waiting to get a buzz off of cutting your thoat. I'm sorry, this situation has made me very paranoid.

Re: Re: a predicament

Shaliz said:

Aw, verte. :hug: Just remember that NOBODY can take the band and all the great music and great things they've done away from you. And there are lots of us who feel exactly like you do about the hate and bad stuff being expressed out there. We love the band and will be loyal no matter what anyone says. :heart:

On a happier note, your trip to Turkey sounds great! I've never been there myself, but I have been to Jordan, and I know that people in the eastern Mediterranean part of the world are generally very kind and welcoming. I know you'll have a great time! And you'll have lots of good stories to tell all of us! :)

Thanks, maybe (particularly) we need to start a club, to show each other support? Maybe I could stand life here with this. Emigration to these places is tough, and in some cases impossible. Yes, the band will always have my support and support from many others as well. I shouldn't let a few :censored:holes steal them from me. I'm looking forward to my trip. Screw the :censored:holes who are telling me a single woman shouldn't go to Turkey. It sounds like this tired old Islamophbia to me. I don't want to hear it.
I know, I shouldn't let :censored:hole idiots take the band away from me. It's not their band that they can rip off from me. But honestly, I never thought that even fair-weather U2 fans could cause me this kind of pain. I'll be honest, I'm sitting here getting stinking drunk trying to get rid of this pain. Admittedly, I'm stiill istening to klezmer. :wink: Thanks, everyone, you're wonderful and I'll never forget you, no matter when I am and what my citizenship is.
Oh, yes, I even have a hilarious story from Turkey for you, courtesy of Tom Brosnihan, a tour guide in Turkey who's originally from Boston. It orignally came up from a Michael Moore controversy on FYM, let me try to get some sleep first. And oh yes, if this f:censored:d virus doesn't kill me first, I'll keep a diary from my trip and make a blog out of it when I come back, even if that's temporary (and quite frankly right now I hope it is temporary). My "homecoming" had better be temporary. I can't wait to get away from these :censored:holes who are making me so damn miserable. I've got to get away from these :censored:holes.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've had more time to think about it and I think I'm not going to do it. It is harder for me to think rationally right now. You really can't *escape* things like this. When you go somewhere you take your blues with you. Also, I'm a linguistic klutz and don't think I could learn the Turkish language. This pisses me off, but there's nothing I can do about it. I will visit Turkey, but I'll come back. Trying to move would just be too much of a f:censored:g pain in the ass. I did sign up on a Turkish woman's listserver. She promotes Turkish women's causes and Turkish culture in general and has an international award to honor the accomplishments of Turkish women all over the globe. She also now lives in the U.S. and is a U.S. citizen. That list should be fun. I'm just trying to figure out a way out of this predicament. I had so hoped 2005 would at least be an uneventful year after a traumatic 2004, and it didn't happen. To say this is a disappointment and traumatic is an understatement. Hey, did you see Larry's open letter on the U2.com site? It's in the free section so anyone can read it. It's really cool, and I must agree with the last part of it in particular. Check it out!

Last edited:
OK, here's the funny story. The tour writer Tom Brosnahan, who has one of the best sites about Turkey on the Internet, was in some Turkish town, I forget which one. He saw a chalkboard in front of a restaurant. It had the word "spit" on it. It turned out that the Turkish owner of the restaurant had wanted to advertise meat cooked over a fire, but some English-speakers had drawn different conclusions. The guy didn't speak English, he'd gotten the words out of an English-Turkish glossary. When he found out what some people were thinking when they read his sign, he was horrified and very embarrassed. Tom told him not to change his "wacky sign", he was getting better business because of it!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, yeah, still listening to klezmer, Ukrainian folk, also Hesperus.......my HTDAAB CD isn't going anywhere, it'll sound great when I get over these blues. I'm from a musical family, my grandmother was a church organist and piano teacher, and my first memories of music were when my parents were listening to "West Side Story" and Gershwin. I was still in the playpen. So this is a particularly unforgiving kind of depression, it's almost like a death.

Last edited:
That "spit" story really made me laugh, verte :eeklaugh: :eeklaugh:

I feel the exact same as you about all these u2 haters, never mind them eh? We still have the music&the memories of the guys and of everything they've done to give us so much pleasure! :wink:

Well pleased with Larrys' statement today too!

Gershwin, eh? I totally adore that music. It is INCREDIBLE.
I'm actually about to begin an Open University course in Classical music& hoping&praying i'll get on ok with it! I also go to a summer school for a week as part of the course, then 50% of it is made up of an exam! EEKS!! Fingers crossed i can get that far.....

Yeah, I know now that I have friends who love this band and haven't been involved in this horrid nastiness. I think certain people have really shot themselves in the foot. They know who they are, and so does U2. Some of the stuff on some of the sites really pissed me off, they were penalizing all of us for something we didn't do. I'm a really sensitive person and I get hurt easily. That's why this stuff was so painful. Now the people who caused me the pain have egg on their face as Larry's apology was everything it had to be, it was really cool. I mean, is there a law that they even have to give us a presale, at all? No. We're spoiled. We're much luckier than Beatles fans were, and no offense to the Beatles, I'm a Beatles fan myself. But their whole careers only lasted eight years and they stopped touring after four years. By contrast, U2 have been together making music and touring for 25+ years. That's amazing when you think about what a stressful business they're in. I cannot imagine for a second how they can stand all of the stress. The money wouldn't be worth it for me.

Yeah, Gershwin is great! Just a couple of years ago I went to see a fantastic performance of "Rhapsody in Blue". It was amazing. Also a Birmingham native was in "Porgy and Bess" when it came to town. My fingers are crossed for the success of your endeavor.

Thank you verte i get quite upset at a lot myself so i'm totally with you on all of that, but you are very articulate, though.
Definitely more so than myself, i think.
You come across as a very intelligent individual! :wink: :up:

Thanks Susan! I feel much better today. The main reason I was depressed was actually my health issues, especially shingles, which depresses anyone who gets it. It tries your patience big time because it lasts for years. The nasties hurt really badly, though, too. I have got to stop letting :censored:holes get to me like this. A friend of mine in my medieval re-enactment group is currently getting screwed by some disgusting, trite, petty, stupid people. I'm mad as hell about this. People like this are all over. I've got to figure out a way for :censored:holes not to bother me like this. I've been struggling with this my whole life. It's frustrating. It's so hard for me to get this s:censored:t off of my mind.

verte76 said:
I think certain people have really shot themselves in the foot. They know who they are, and so does U2.

A musician I like commented to a friend of mine that he noticed the fans who bitch the loudest and nastiest about everything are the ones who come up to him at shows (often with a stack of things to sign) and blather on and on about how great he is and what a terriffic album the new CD is, blahblahblah...all the stuff they were slagging off on the bulletin board. Anyway, he told her (paraphrased here) "And I'm standing there listening to them and I'm thinking, 'I know who you are, and I know what you said!' " And then they both laughed at the jerks who really thought they were fooling him.

I thought you might get a kick out of that story.

I did get a kick out of that story indra, thanks! I had a great time at the medieval re-enactment event today! Even if certain parts of the medieval OB-GYN class were a bit gross. :wink:

verte76 said:
Even if certain parts of the medieval OB-GYN class were a bit gross. :wink:

:yikes: Oh my! I don't even think I want to imagine that....

The lady who did the class is a nurse, so she thinks nothing of anatomical graphicness.......is that a word? I'm not like that. When I was growing up I wanted to be a nurse, then, uh, I changed my mind and became a historian.

Back
Top Bottom