A dilemma that I have... Need your help! :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
So I have a friend. We use to work together for 12 years, have known him since we were kids etc. and we recently got laid off together. Naturally, we both since have gone our separate paths in life with family and career wise... Now here comes the interesting part.

He has gotten into becoming one of those that help you out with your 401 (k), IRA's etc. and he seems to be liking it a lot and I'm really happy for him. As for myself, I'm going back to school and trying to learn a new trade etc., a totally different career path from the office related work we both did together.

My beef is this: for the past couple of weeks he has been persistant in trying to get come over to my home and talk to me about retirement and advice on rolling over my 401(k) from our previous employer. I'm not trying to stonewall him or anything... I've been really busy with school and family. I spoke to him yesterday to catch up and he was explaining what he does and I told him what I was up to and that I would let him know when was the best time for him to come over and chat about finances and such. Well, thanks to the wonderful world of Facebook, I see this post from him on the main wall:

"There will always be a few who will not accept free knowledge given to them in order to dream and plan for their future or their kid's future... why is that? Are they scared to dream big? are they scared to fail? do they simply not care? Everyone starts somewhere. Make time to listen to someone who simply wants to help you."

Now, I keep reading this over and over and can't help but think that he is indirectly referring to me. He might not be... he could be talking about someone else but, why do people post stuff like this??? Doesn't he sound so self-righteous??? I'm seriously considering confronting him on this via text (not FB).

What do you guys think? How should I handle it...?

i wouldn't bother confronting him, i would just ignore him/his statement... he sounds manipulative...

eta: or comment on his status with "or maybe they're just busy and will get round to it when it's convenient?" and make him lighten up (and look foolish) lol!

I would just ignore it, it's just petty. He's lashing out at you because he somehow feels insulted that you aren't jumping at the chance to have him deal with your finances. Bottom line is, that's completely your right. His ego just can't handle it.

Yeah, ignore it. I had a similar situation where an ex coworker kept hounding me to switch my life insurance policy over to her company and she actually got salty when I wouldn't set up an appointment with her.

I'm personally a big believer that if you get into sales, leave family and friends alone. I'm very against Pyramid Schemes for this very reason.

Ignoring is best. He can always pretend it's not about you, and turn it against you. So why bother? He seems to lack self-esteem, so he tries other ways to get his feelings related to you.
It's a shame when a job does that to someone. I would also say, keep friends and work separated. But with these schemes it's almost impossible. The first source are family and friends.

i'd ignore it as well. i agree with everyone else too in that it's a good idea to keep friends/family separate from finances. if he were to make bad investments with your money and you have a bad return it could affect your friendship, but of course they never think about that when pestering people to invest with them.

I think he is being a little self-righteous but he also may feel as if you really are blowing him off. Though that's more of the kind of thing girls do when they feel blown off. I'd ignore it, but I wouldn't look down on him too much for it.

Back
Top Bottom