A Christmas Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nurse chrissi

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This Christmas I was prepared to throw myself a full on, no holds barred “I’m miserable and sad” pity party since I had to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day night shift from 1900-0700. While my friends and family gathered around to celebrate and in general have good times and merriment I was driving to work in a slushy snow to coordinate between four units of critical ill patients and other RN’s that felt as merry about spending the holidays in the ICU as I did. It is really amazing how easy it is to fall into a mood that is completely self centered around your own personal sense of entitlement and gratification.

While I can’t go into the specific details of the case I accepted a patient into our ICU from an outlying hospital who had, for no apparent reason, showered unknown blood clots from her heart to her brain. Keep in mind that the day before this was an apparently healthy young woman who had gone out with her friends the night before. She was now unresponsive, unstable, and in need of getting to a hospital with more experienced neurologists than the hospital she was currently at could provide her. The patient was also in her early 30s which in ICU years still just a baby. My normal patient age is around 70 so anything less than that gets my attention.

She arrived to the hospital of Christmas Eve night and after going through a battery of procedures it was discovered that despite all of our best efforts she was declared brain dead shortly before midnight on Christmas Eve. No person who works in a hospital relishes the idea of calling a family member to tell them that their loved one is not going to get any better but it takes on a whole different level of wrongness when you have to do it on a holiday.

After a family meeting, the husband and her parents decided the best thing to do was to attempt to donate whatever organs were still viable. This is not an easy decision - it is very easy (and completely normal) for family members to be so consumed by their own grief that the idea of a surgeon harvesting organs from someone who still has a beating heart is unbearable. Even if you sign the back of your drivers license your family ultimately has the final decision concerning organ donation. Her family could have gone down the “why us” and “why now during Christmas” route and none of the ICU staff would have thought poorly of them. This, for lack of a better word, sucked

From a medical standpoint the staff had to now go into overdrive. The local transplant organization was contacted and their staff basically camped out in the ICU ordering the necessary tests and procedures need to assess for organ viability. The hospitals own MD’s on staff were asked to come on Christmas Day to perform procedures and the nursing staff had to bring in an extra RN as the patient became a 1:1. By the time I arrived to work on Christmas Day the transplant team had found recipients for almost all of her viable organs. That means that over half a dozen people received calls on Christmas Day that they would be receive a new organ and a new lease on life.

By late in the night four different surgical teams had flown in from around the country to help harvest the organs and fly them back to their respective hospitals for transplantation. My hospitals surgical OR team was called in and we had everyone in place to take her down to the surgical suite. At this time it was time for her family to say goodbye to her. The experience was both life affirming and physically gut wrenching. Her husband and parents stayed until the very end loving on her and telling her how much they would miss her. These people had every right to be angry, mean, hateful and spiteful - but they didn’t. They had every right to question a higher power why this had to happen to a young person who had so much to live for. Instead they hugged the staff (who at this time - myself included - was bawling along with the family) and thanked us for helping them find hope in a tragedy. She was taken to OR and was taken off of life support shortly after. It is possible that one of the recipients received their new organ in the final hours of Christmas Day.

I’m sharing this story with you all for a couple of reasons. It is really easy to fall into self pity because we don’t get what we want or don’t have the life we feel we are entitled to have. I was there on Saturday and more than likely I will revert to my old ways soon and throw myself another pity party for some stupid reason. Right now I’m holding my family and friends a little tighter and unabashedly telling them how much I love them (this includes many on this site :hug: ) For now however I’m going to take with me that there is hope in the face of tragedy, truly selfless and good people in the world and that Christmas miracle come in all different forms.

That was beautiful, sweetheart. Doctors and nurses truly are heroes and that isn't celebrated nearly enough. :hug: :heart:

Wow :sad: :sad:

I'm bawling my eyes out right now, and feeling awfully petty for the day to day usual grievances I carry around.

Thanks so much for sharing - you and all people in your profession do amazing work. :hug:

That was absolutely beautiful, and altho I also sit crying alligator tears, I thank you for posting this for several reasons. I believe Christmas is a time of giving.....no matter what it is, no matter how small or well thought out. What this family did was so special, especially during this holiday season. IT couldn't have been easy for them. I know what it is like to experience this as my family experienced somthing similar, although it happened 12 years ago and dueing the month of August. I doubt the family was thinking much about the holidays.

What I have to commend you on, Chrissi, is that I gather from the story that you, as part of the hospital staff, seemed so professional and well organized as well as respectful of the family during this ordeal. This is SO important whenever anyone is faced with this dilemma. The opposite happened in our situation. My father was 58, he suffered a blood clot in his brain. Every step of his care was botched up from the paramedics who arrived at the house at 4am after my mother's call for help. They banged the gurney into the wall on the stairwell and a nice chunk still remains as a nice "memento" of what became 2 weeks of hell for my family. My father was transported to the nearest Kaiser Hospital 5 miles away and my mother was not allowed to ride in the ambulance. A neighbor drove my mother to the hospital. Once they arrived, they found my father lying on a gurney in the hallway in the ER. At that point my father was somewhat conscious, complaining about having been bumped and jostled about then left by the doctors. My mother said the hospital seemed deserted. Finally a team of doctors arrived and advised they could not treat my father, he would need to be transported to another Kaiser hospital 45 miles away, where they had a more experienced neuro team. My father was transported about 2 hours later, with my mother following. They reached the 2nd hospital at 8am. Doctors immediately checked my father over then advised he needed a CAT but their machine was not in operation since it was a Sunday! Dad was admitted to ICU. By the time I arrived about 2pm he seemed stable, altho he would slip in and out of sensible conversation which concerned us. Nurses kept telling us they were waiting for the Neuro team. My sister flew in from OR and my aunt from So Cal and that night my sister discovered while doing a huge no non (reading my dad's chart on the sly) that in bold letters had been written ALCOHOLIC MALE we realized that my father wasn't receiving what we felt was necessary medical care because of this. My mother refused and still refuses to do anything about this. That night my father began to slip in and out of consciousness and was restrained as he tried to pull his IV's and catheters out. The next day he was finally taken for a battery of tests and heavily sedated for thrashing and again we were told for his having attempted to remove tubes, etc. I knew at that point my father was upset and just wanted to let go. We sat vigil for the following 12 days as my father slipped into a coma and eventual vegetative state. It took several days before our demands to meet with the head of neuro were obliged only to be told there was nothing that could be done, that my father was apparently in such poor health that he wouldn't survive surgery, so they couldn't attempt to drain fluid from his brain. My family knew my father was gone. We called in a priest for last rights when my fathers B/P was very low and we were told we were about to lose him. Miraculously the B/P raised and he hung on 2 more days.

On the day before my mother finally realized it was time to remove my father from his life support, we were told NOT ASKED, that various recovery agencies had been notified and were waiting to speak with us hoping we would be willing to donate anything from my father to help others. My mother was so angry at this especially the fact the HOSPITAL was seemingly forcing her to cut my father up to save others when they hadn't done what she felt they should have to save her husband. My mother was almost hospitalized, but instead was given a mild sedative and medication to lower her B/P and she stabilized quickly. It made me ill how the recovery personnel were like vultures and were literally hanging around the hospital waiting for my mother to make a decision and sign paperwork! My mother finally decided she would only donate some tissues and my father's corneas. It took forever for my mother to sign her name on the paperwork before she was profusely thanked.

We were then ushered in to the room to say our goodbyes to my father. No one can ever be prepared for that. We were asked to then leave the room and would be allowed one last visit after his support had been disconnected and he had been pronounced dead. This only took about 10 mins. About an hour later we found ourself numb sitting at the cemetary office making arrangements.

Later that night my sister and I received a phone call from the recovery team responsible for dealing with my father's corneas and were told that the recovery was not successful as there was miscommunication and delay in moving my father to a mortuary and by the time the team arrived, apparently it was too late and the corneas were too dry. We laughed and cried simultaneously. We didn't dare tell our mother instead requested the recovery people to send an apology letter to my mother care of us which we planned to one day share with our mother.

I am sure these kinds of things happen and for reasons we have no control over. I believe things happen for reasons, and there are pro and con to nearly everything. We got through services for my father and his passing. That first year was very difficult and to this day his void is felt, especially at Christmas which was the most fun and his favorite time of year. We were finally able to share the letter with my mother much to her great relief. We laugh about it now. But none of us can bring ourselves to be treated at a Kaiser facility.

I have since experienced losing another family member while in hospital, and must say it was quite the opposite of the experience with my father (it was not a Kaiser hospital either). It is so very important for the hospital staff to be as respectful as possible with the patient's family at such a difficult time of decision and loss. More importantly, subtly ask the family if they are interested in donating, don't allow recovery teams to assume and hover as happened with us.

Carek :hug: I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible experience. We have an amazing pallative (end of life) program at our hospital that caters to the family (everything from gift baskets and blankets to just having a shoulder to cry on). Our stafff has had many hours of training in dealing with grieving families but the bottom line is that you have to have staff that actually cares. I have absolutely no shame in crying in front of a family and I've seen my fellow staff and MD's do the same thing.

The death of a loved one is traumatic any way you look at it - nothing I could do last night could have eased that families pain but I can do everything in my power to ease their suffering in any way I can. When the day comes that I don't feel this way I will move into another aspect of nursing

I'm glad you shared your story and I hope you communicated with that hospital your feelings.

Prayers to you and your family

That poor girl must have been an angel put here to save others. What a christmas story...I admire you nurse chrissy, you do something I could never do.

Thank you Chrissi for sharing your story. I was in hospital myself for the first time at the beginning of this month. I was terrified when I was admitted, because of the fear of the unknown and also my particular local state funded hospital tends to be in the news whenever things go wrong. I have nothing but praise for how I was treated by the doctors and nursing staff - it restored my faith that there are still people involved in both professions who actually care about what they are doing. :up:

A stint in hospital also does wonders for concentrating your thoughts on what is important, whether it be the present or the future.

Chrissi thank you for sharing your story I needed to read that :hug: My heart goes out to that poor girl and her family. Hope they find it somewhat comforting that new lives have possibly been saved.

Carek I really am sorry for what your father went through :hug:

:hug: Chrissi, thanks for sharing. I only got to spend like an hr w/ you guys in St Louis, but you're such a sweetie.

One of my best friends died of cancer at age 20. This was a few years ago, at the beginning of our final exam week, just like 10 days before Christmas. I'm still feeling kind of bitter about it (like stuck on that 'anger' stage) b/c she was the sweetest person ever and fought for so long (starting with the removal of an 8 lb tumor, then the resurfacing of cancer after over a year in remission, then complications like a blood infection, etc), but her family always seemed so pulled together and peaceful about everything.

Chrissi and Carek :hug: x 1.000.000

I had a so-so Christmas time and I were so unhppy for various things that happened on that day. But now, everything hasgot another, a new perspective...
I realize I am lucky, even if I had not a merry time.
I have my family, all them are alive and even if they suck sometimes, they're good people.
I have friends, and even if I can't always rely on them, they're there and can help me someway, even when they don't do what I'd like them to.

I have a place to go, and maybe I'll have a better one soon.
I have dreams, I have goals to reach.
I am lucky to have all this... And I think I will tell myself more often that I have to be proud of what I have, because there are people around who are living in such messy and unbearable situations.

That is such a beautiful story Chrissi, thanks so much for posting it. You are indeed a hero :hug: thanks so much for what you do every day to help people and their loved ones.

I'm sorry carek for what happened in your situation :hug:

nurse chrissi said:
Carek :hug: I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible experience. We have an amazing pallative (end of life) program at our hospital that caters to the family (everything from gift baskets and blankets to just having a shoulder to cry on). Our stafff has had many hours of training in dealing with grieving families but the bottom line is that you have to have staff that actually cares. I have absolutely no shame in crying in front of a family and I've seen my fellow staff and MD's do the same thing.

The death of a loved one is traumatic any way you look at it - nothing I could do last night could have eased that families pain but I can do everything in my power to ease their suffering in any way I can. When the day comes that I don't feel this way I will move into another aspect of nursing

I'm glad you shared your story and I hope you communicated with that hospital your feelings.

Prayers to you and your family

Thank you Chrissi.....the program and training you speak of should actually be a part of every hospital and medical center where staff deals with such crisis - it would make a world of difference.

Thank you to everyone for the hugs, caring and kindness in response to my sharing what my family endured. We chose not to pursue communicating with the hospital out of respect for my mother's wishes. Sometimes it's best to just let things go. Nothing we could say would change what happened or bring my father back. But if sharing what we experienced can help one family or one medical professional in any way I'm satisfied for having shared.

It doesn't sound like you will ever become bored in your profession, Chrissi . You are doing wonderful things even through your tears and I commend you. Kepp up the good work, it can't be easy what you do. But I can say it can make a HUGE difference. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom