.... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > Zoo Confessionals
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,598
Local Time: 07:52 AM
I figure this would be as fitting a place as any to follow-up on those kittens... only one managed to stay with me after all was said and done--Mr. Binx.

He hasn't quite been himself lately, so my wife and I took him to the vet. Turns out Binx has a large growth in his abdomen, and the vet believes it would be best if we have him euthanized... this is hitting me pretty hard :/

2018 has been pretty dreadful: our other cat, a rescue that we adopted, collapsed one morning and died; my grandmother, at ripe old age of 96, passed away; and my mother suffered a sudden and tragic demise following a fairly standard operation. Mr. Binx has just sorta been this constant in my life, and I guess I just figured he'd be kicking around for at least a few more years. That, unfortunately, will not be :'(
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_170923.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170719_003924-1.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	12192Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_165821.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	12193Click image for larger version

Name:	20170325_092142.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	12194
__________________

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
MsPurrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Heartland (Indiana, USA)
Posts: 47,148
Local Time: 08:52 AM
I am so very sorry to hear this, Catman. Having lost our dear Callie earlier this year, I know that it is never an easy decision to make, even though you know it is the right decision. 2018 has indeed been a year of loss for you, and I know your pain. Many hugs to you and your wife. You gave your Binx a good life; he will always be with you, and you WILL see him again!
__________________

__________________
MsPurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,598
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Thanks for the kind sympathies, Purrl <3

So regarding euthanizing a furry loved one, you've been down that road before? This will be the first time I've had to decide when to "pull the trigger," so to speak, and I'm absolutely dreading it I have this image in my head of Mr. Binx snuggling close to me in some unfamiliar environment, trusting that I'll protect him, only to have that trust betrayed minutes later as his pulse begins to wane... ugh :'(
How did you know when it was time to finally say goodbye to Callie?
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 25,947
Local Time: 08:52 AM
I'm so sorry Catman, so many losses in your life.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier
 
MsPurrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Heartland (Indiana, USA)
Posts: 47,148
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Thanks for the kind sympathies, Purrl <3

So regarding euthanizing a furry loved one, you've been down that road before? This will be the first time I've had to decide when to "pull the trigger," so to speak, and I'm absolutely dreading it I have this image in my head of Mr. Binx snuggling close to me in some unfamiliar environment, trusting that I'll protect him, only to have that trust betrayed minutes later as his pulse begins to wane... ugh :'(
How did you know when it was time to finally say goodbye to Callie?
She had SO many things wrong with her: arthritic back legs, dental disease, deafness, early kidney disease treated by special food, once in a while she would get a weird head tilt to the side--the vet said probably something neurological, they could do tests, but probably nothing could be done re surgery, as she was 15 years old. On April 22 when we got up, she was still on her pillow with a blanket over her, so we let her sleep. Then she appeared to have two seizures. After a while she awoke, but couldn't stand on her legs. She wanted to eat, but her head was tilted to one side and she couldn't stand, so that wasn't happening. We decided it was time to go to the emergency clinic at the university (as it was a Sunday and our vet's office was closed). The doctor who worked with us was wonderful--so kind, caring, and understanding. He said they thought she'd had a stroke, and she appeared to be blind. My hubby and I decided it was probably "time", so they inserted a port into the vein on her right front paw and brought her to us wrapped in a little fleece blanket so we could hold her for a while. Even though she couldn't see us or hear us, I'm pretty sure she could tell it was us. She went quickly and peacefully. A very difficult decision, but (I tell myself) we did the right thing. Sometimes I still hear her chirping meow and feel a cat jumping on my bed although there is no cat there. My lap misses her!

So it was a fairly "easy" decision, if it ever can be. When we had to say goodbye to our 20-year-old Miss Purrl in 2005, she had the kidney thing going, but was doing well otherwise until she began bleeding from her nose. Turned out she had gum cancer that had eaten through her nasal cavity. So making the decision with her was even tougher!

Sorry to unload on you like that. I don't know if that's any help or not. Hold Mr. Binx and love him, and definitely be with him as he leaves to soar among the stars. And you WILL see him again.
__________________
MsPurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,598
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Well Mr. Binx managed to make it out of 2018 alive, surprisingly enough. He just sorta coasted into the new year, and we weren't sure if he was getting any better or not. Turns out he wasn't, sadly, and we had him put to sleep last Friday. So it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm so sorry Catman, so many losses in your life.
Thanks, MrsSpringsteen Yeah, 2019 isn't off to a great start, but things'll get better... right? I mean, there's only so many loved ones in my life, so at some point it's gotta be slim pickings for Death, ya know?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
She had SO many things wrong with her: arthritic back legs, dental disease, deafness, early kidney disease treated by special food, once in a while she would get a weird head tilt to the side--the vet said probably something neurological, they could do tests, but probably nothing could be done re surgery, as she was 15 years old. On April 22 when we got up, she was still on her pillow with a blanket over her, so we let her sleep. Then she appeared to have two seizures. After a while she awoke, but couldn't stand on her legs. She wanted to eat, but her head was tilted to one side and she couldn't stand, so that wasn't happening. We decided it was time to go to the emergency clinic at the university (as it was a Sunday and our vet's office was closed). The doctor who worked with us was wonderful--so kind, caring, and understanding. He said they thought she'd had a stroke, and she appeared to be blind. My hubby and I decided it was probably "time", so they inserted a port into the vein on her right front paw and brought her to us wrapped in a little fleece blanket so we could hold her for a while. Even though she couldn't see us or hear us, I'm pretty sure she could tell it was us. She went quickly and peacefully. A very difficult decision, but (I tell myself) we did the right thing. Sometimes I still hear her chirping meow and feel a cat jumping on my bed although there is no cat there. My lap misses her!

So it was a fairly "easy" decision, if it ever can be. When we had to say goodbye to our 20-year-old Miss Purrl in 2005, she had the kidney thing going, but was doing well otherwise until she began bleeding from her nose. Turned out she had gum cancer that had eaten through her nasal cavity. So making the decision with her was even tougher!

Sorry to unload on you like that. I don't know if that's any help or not. Hold Mr. Binx and love him, and definitely be with him as he leaves to soar among the stars. And you WILL see him again.
Yeah, the general decay of our respective feline companion sounds pretty similar. When it came time to place the call to our vet, there wasn't any real reservation on my end that ol' Binxy cat's time had come. I'm happy I was able to spend a couple more weeks with the guy, but whoo... that drive to the vet was pretty rough
 
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 25,947
Local Time: 08:52 AM
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:27 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
MsPurrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Heartland (Indiana, USA)
Posts: 47,148
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Well Mr. Binx managed to make it out of 2018 alive, surprisingly enough. He just sorta coasted into the new year, and we weren't sure if he was getting any better or not. Turns out he wasn't, sadly, and we had him put to sleep last Friday. So it goes.
I am so sorry, Catman. I'm glad you were able to spend a few more weeks with him. He is sailing among the stars now, free of pain and running free. And you WILL see him again; I am sure of it! Your picture is heartbreaking.
__________________
MsPurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,598
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Thanks for caring, MsPurrl and MrsSpringsteen <3 I know it's just some small, furry quadruped in the grand scheme of things, but the little guy carried a lot more weight with me than his diminutive stature would indicate. Forgive the aggrandizing, but he felt a lot more like family than many of the peeps with whom I share a considerable amount of DNA with.

It's sad; it sucks, but c'est la vie: to have something happen that begets such sorrow must mean that what came before brought a lot of joy. I suppose it's a fair tradeoff...
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
MsPurrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Heartland (Indiana, USA)
Posts: 47,148
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Thanks for caring, MsPurrl and MrsSpringsteen <3 I know it's just some small, furry quadruped in the grand scheme of things, but the little guy carried a lot more weight with me than his diminutive stature would indicate. Forgive the aggrandizing, but he felt a lot more like family than many of the peeps with whom I share a considerable amount of DNA with.

It's sad; it sucks, but c'est la vie: to have something happen that begets such sorrow must mean that what came before brought a lot of joy. I suppose it's a fair tradeoff...
You gave him a good life of love, and he knew it and returned that love. Sometimes I tell myself that the reason furry critters don't live as long as we do is so we can love and take care of more of them. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
__________________

__________________
MsPurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com