The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(insert 80's rock high pitch yelling voice)---->BBIIZZCCUUTT!!!!!!
ylsuper.gif

Just thought I would throw that in to make you smile. :sexywink:

ghetofabu said:
(insert 80's rock high pitch yelling voice)---->BBIIZZCCUUTT!!!!!!
ylsuper.gif

Just thought I would throw that in to make you smile. :sexywink:
Hey that is one hilarious smilie! It made me smile!!!
Hey Sicy...I agree with a lot of people here...I think John will end up getting more one on one care at this kind of place....basically that is what it is-long term care facility- and I actually was expecting sometime soon that you would be saying that John would get transferred to a place like that.
His progress will be upped a bit...you'll see...they have all the things he needs there. (And one of them I'm sure....is not good looking nurses!!:tongue: Don't think that is high up on John's list right now!:tongue: )
Let us know what you think of the place....and how John is in his new surroundings!
oxoxo
Autumn:heart:

I dont like it

This place sucks, to be blunt. Imagine going from like a penthouse suite (Standford) to a Motel 6 (this dump). Except the Motel 6 is nicer than this place.

Its like, old.. first of all. The floors, the walls, the beds, the equipment. Old. The bed CRANKS up ok. He cant even adjust his own bed like he could before. Someone has to come and friggin crank it. Its filled with old people and weirdos. If I didnt know better I'd say this is a psychiatric hospital. Weirdos man. And I have not seen one young person there. My brother had to tell the nurse how to change his dressing on his stomach. The room smelled like piss. I had to get janitors in there and clean the floor cuz we just werent having it. The rooms are just like hospital rooms but worse. 3 people to a room. And no sign of any physical therapists. I asked one patient about it and he says they rarely come around. wtf I thought that was the whole point of rehab. He's also had these things that wrap around his legs and pump like air every few seconds.. to keep the circulation going in his legs from being in bed all the time, nowhere to be seen. They dont provide them at this place and you cant take them with you from Stanford. So I dont know what is up with that.

The only good points are he liked the food.. he liked having juice with his medication, there are no visiting hours - you can visit as often as you like whenever. But really, that's about it. He still has a sense of humor though. Everytime some weirdo rolled by in a wheelchair he had a name for them. Skeleton Lady, Laps, Bok Choy, Devil Lady, Big Guy, Citizen Kane etc.

I'm calling the social worker tomorrow to complain. I dont know if it will do any good but there's got to be a better place than this that accepts Medi-Cal. That's the problem I bet.. the money. :rant:

That really blows, sicy. the one thing i would be mostly concerned is the physical therapy. he has to continue that no matter what. i hope you can get him into another place that will help him to recover to where he was before the accident. hang in there, and bitch bitch bitch til you get him into a better place if medi-cal allows it. my prayers are with you and john:hug:

Sicy,

I know what you are talking about. A couple of years a go my 82 year old aunt fell and broke her hip.
She got good treatment at the hospital. Her insurance gave her three rehabs to chose from. I went and checked them all out. I choose the best one. It sounds just a little better than Johns. I went down five or six times a week. I made friends with all the staff I could. I was courteous and appreciative to them. When she said she did not get her therapy I would ask about it. She did not miss it after that. I brought them Krispy Kreem donuts.

The point is the situation sucks. Rehabs are not as good as hospitals. My aunt got the best therapy I could get her. She recovered better than anyone thought she would. She is almost 85 now and still living in her own home instead of a rest home. You got to be smart and work these people to get the best you can for John.

deep said:
You got to be smart and work these people to get the best you can for John.

Yes, but life shouldn't be like that. You shouldn't have to bribe staff with doughnuts to get better care.

Sorry Sicy, that this new place is not what you were hoping for. Be present and take no shit. Good for you for having the floor cleaned. :up:

I have faith it will improve. Maybe its just the initial shock from Stanford. From what I hear it sounds like the best of the best so of course this new place is gonna seem like a slum in comparison. I guess you just gotta have faith in the staff that they care and will do a good job with John.

_______
:wave: If in doubt, there's always Krispy Kreems...

Last edited:
that sucks Sicy, I hope he gets to a better place, but I'm glad to hear he's doing better.

:hug:

Sorry the place sucks bizcut. I was wondering if it was going to be like that.

Angel said:

Yes, but life shouldn't be like that. You shouldn't have to bribe staff with doughnuts to get better care.

I don't want to sound pessimistic BUT this is a way a majority of life is. I am not saying it is right, on the contrary I think it is totally fucked. However, sometime you have to do what you have to do.

He wants out. "Get me out of here" he tells me. It breaks my heart. The nurses dont know how to change his dressings. It took them an hour this morning. They didnt give him a shot they were supposed to last nite for blood thinning, they said they were waiting for it or some shit. The bed is too small for him. The breakfast sucked.

:banghead:

I'm waiting for the social worker to call me back.

ghetofabu said:
I don't want to sound pessimistic BUT this is a way a majority of life is. I am not saying it is right, on the contrary I think it is totally fucked. However, sometime you have to do what you have to do.

I know. You are right. It's just so shitty.

Sicy, I can't believe those lame asses don't know how to change his dressing. :censored: That is aggravating. And what's this about them not giving him his shot last night? :yell: Come to Canada! Not that our healthcare system is much better...

Yknow I could change his fucking dressing. :mad: They have to put like sterile water on the gauze, then shove the gauze into the open wound in his stomach, then cover it up. wtf is so difficult about that.

I think they have his shot now.. I just called. They couldnt get it last nite because it was late and they had to order it. whatever.

About that kissing ass thing or whatever.. I find it really difficult to be nice to people that dont know what they're doing. I know it would probly help him to be all buddy buddy with the nurses etc.. but everything about this place pisses me off so it makes it hard for me to suck it in. I'm a tell it like it is type of person. :yell:

This is the most fucked up situation. I talked to the social worker and basically this is the only type of facility that he can be in because of the insurance crap. She's going to get me a list of all the places closer and I'm going to have to call them and get on waiting lists to be transferred. But they're all going to be the same type of facility. He cant bear weight on his legs so there wont be any real therapy for 4 or 5 weeks. He has to do bed excersizes.

I guess tonite was better

I tried that 'being nice' thing today. John's nurse is pretty nice. She's the only decent looking nurse there. We talked about our hair. I spoke to the nurse director also. When I left they were working on getting him a longer bed. They also come in everyday to try to get the urine smell off the floor. :| I hate to have him moved again because he has nice roommates. They're not :coocoo: like the rest of them. He liked the chicken today and I got him a taco. His friend brought him a tv and a stereo. Some weird lady came into the room in a wheel chair and was all 'hi.. what name' and said a bunch of stuff we couldnt understand :der: My brother started speaking jibberish back to her and she left :laugh: His roomates laughed.

Still working on getting that list of other facilites so I can call them and get on waiting lists.

I hope there is a better place you can get him moved to. I am so glad he went to Stanford to get his critical treatment. That was the most important. I think it is a good move to talk to the director and the staff, he will get better treatment this way. I would talk to the therapist and the administrator, too. Good luck

Oh yeah I forgot. The therapist came to see him today. He said she was nice, but she said he cant do any therapy really until the pelvis heals. She said he shouldnt even sit up because it puts pressure on it. She was surprised that the people at Stanford had him sit on the edge of the bed and swing his legs around.

Re: I guess tonite was better

Sicy said:
My brother started speaking jibberish back to her and she left :laugh: His roomates laughed.

that made me laugh too...I can picture it now :lol:

good luck with finding another place Sicy :hug:

Sicy said:
Oh yeah I forgot. The therapist came to see him today. He said she was nice, but she said he cant do any therapy really until the pelvis heals. She said he shouldnt even sit up because it puts pressure on it. She was surprised that the people at Stanford had him sit on the edge of the bed and swing his legs around.
you know Sicy...all along I was a little surprised too that he was sitting up and stuff like that with the state that his pelvis is in.
It just so happens that our thickest bones are in this region...for the sole purpose of weight-bearing. And in order for John's to heal....the pressure that weight contributes would definitely slow down his healing process...
Atleast we know he has a therapist that knows what she's doing!
But still....get on waiting lists to see if you can move him outta that fookin dump.
Still praying away over here
:wave:

mmmBono said:
see if you can move him outta that fookin dump

lol.. thats funny. I think I'm being really over protective. I mean.. its a crappy place.. but we're starting to get to know the staff, and they're getting to know John's routine. His nite nurse Jenny he likes. She does a good job changing his dressing. The guy that brings his food is good friends already with my mom and my brother likes him. He jokes with his roommate all the time and they pretty much watch tv together because only one or two stations come in. We're still trying to get him a longer bed but they're working on it. And I called a couple places to see if we can move him but every place I call is a bust. One doesnt take young people, one is not admitting any patients, one has a 6 month waiting list.. so I dont know. There's only a few around here that he qualifies for. He has two appointments at Stanford. One on the 23rd and one on the 31st for his arms. I think on the 23rd they'll take the cast off his right arm. Then on the 31st they'll probly assess the left elbow to see if its ready for the nerve graph. My poor mother has been staying the nite there since he's been there.. sleeping on a recliner type chair.

Sicy said:

My poor mother has been staying the nite there since he's been there.. sleeping on a recliner type chair.

:hug: for Sicy's Mom! That got me all :sad: just thinking about how much love a mom can have for her children. She'll be ok, she just needs to be near John until she feels certain the nurses, etc. are ok.

I'm still sending good thoughts and prayers all of you!

Things are going ok I guess. John was telling me he was crying really hard the other nite. I asked him why and he said that he was happy he was alive. :( Sad but I really like his attitude about all this. I wasnt sure in the beginning how he would handle it.. if he would be pissed off everyday yknow. But he's being really patient and knows he's very lucky. He hasnt complained about the place he's at anymore. He's getting used to it I think. His room is so nice and quiet. The rest of the hospital and the rooms are just loud and filled with crazy people. :coocoo: I guess that nite his nurse Jenny got a call from the philippines that her cousin got in a bad motorcycle accident and they had to cut his head open. :huh: So my brother got emotional and felt very lucky. It really is a miracle. Its obvious he didnt land on his head and his head didnt touch the ground that much because if he would have landed on his head no helmet could have protected that at 80mph. He would be dead. Just doing some reflecting... the people that called 911 that nite came to visit tonite. They brought him air freshners for his room :laugh: and chocolate and candy. Hearing them talk about their version of the accident was really hard.

Anyway.. I'll still keep updating. I want to thank everyone that's been following and replying.. it really helps me to be able to come here and talk about it and share experiences.

:heart: you all.

Good to hear the new place is going better Sicy. I agree, thx for the updates. I'm always checking on this thread. :)

That's very cool that the people who called 911 came to check up on John... so sweet of them to bring gifts and all!

Back
Top Bottom