Your Favourite Recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bump: :wink:

I'm a vegetarian, and I think my favorite winter time food is soup. This is one of my favs:

Taco Soup

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 pound Morningstar Farms Ground Meatless, defrosted (or you can used a textured soy protrein + spices)
1 package Taco Spices & Seasonings
15 oz.can kidney beans (with liquid)
15 oz. can black beans (with liquid)
15 oz. can whole kernel corn (with liquid)
28 oz. can cut tomatoes (with liquid)
Small can sliced black olives (drained)
15 oz. can tomato sauce
Tortilla chips

Directions:

In a skillet, combine defrosted Ground Meatless, taco seasonings and 2/3 cup water. Simmer over medium-low heat 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients except chips in large pot and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat until Ground Meatless is done. Add Ground Meatless to pot and simmer uncovered for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with blue corn tortilla chips.

Serves: Many!

Preparation time: 15 Minutes

Here's one I've used a lot lately. It's a family recipe. Until today, it's never been written down, only passed on by spoken word. I'll call it "Sweet Fudge" because I hate dark chocolate and love this:

1 egg
5 TBsp cocoa
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 stick oleo
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Melt oleo. Add vanilla, salt, and cocoa. Wait for it to cool slightly (but not harden) before adding the egg (you don't want to cook the egg!). Mix in 2 cups powdered sugar. Mix in more if you like it sweeter. Spread your fudge in a 9x9. Refrigerate until it hardens a bit.

Mmmm, it's so creamy and yummy! I HATE fudge that's made with melted choco chips. This is way better. The secret is the raw egg. Just make sure you don't serve this at a party where it sits out for hours.

Bowtie Pasta
Alfredo Sauce, store bought, but I kick it up with Sriracha sauce, lime juice, and Emeril's essence. Its a totally zesty tangy spicy pasta!

Found the vegetarian chili recipe!!! :hyper:

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 14 oz cans of kidney beans
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
2 tablespoons chili powder plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon cheyenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
dash of salt
2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use the diced jarred kind and it comes out fine)
1 medium onion -- chopped
1 medium green pepper-- chopped
olive oil

Directions:

In a large stock pot, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, pepper and garlic until tender.

Add the can of tomatoes and spices (be generous w/ the chili powder!). Lower the heat.

Drain and rinse beans and add them to the pot. Stir and allow to simmer for flavors to combine. Adjust seasonings. Cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes. :)

I usually serve w/ mac n' "cheese" for a yummy chili-mac, you can add some vegan shredded cheese if you like!

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes (plus cooking time)

Here's another of my faves for you veggies/vegans out there...

Black Bean Soup (Vegan)

Two large onions
3-4 cloves garlic
Small bag of baby carrots
Two large red peppers
Two large orange peppers
Two large yellow peppers
Three Jalapeno peppers**
One Habanero pepper**

Six 12 oz cans of vegetable broth
Five 12 oz cans of black beans (black soy beans can be substituted for carb-conscious folk but they don’t taste as good)

Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large stockpot; puree the garlic and onions in a food processor and add to the olive oil over medium heat. While the onion, garlic and olive oil are heating, puree the remaining vegetables and add to the pot (be sure to remove the seeds from all the peppers except the Habanero. Don’t even touch that thing, it will burn your hands. Remove the stem and throw into the food processor whole).

Add the broth, stir, etc, then add the beans. You can puree them in a blender/food processor before adding to the vegetable mixture, or add them to the pot whole and puree the whole thing using one of those wand things you can stick directly into the pot. The wand is better and faster, and results in an overall smoother texture for the soup, so use that if you have one.

Cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, add salt to taste and you’re good to go. Refrigerates and reheats beautifully.

**the Jalapenos and Habanero are optional…if you like it with a lot of heat, add them. If you prefer a milder taste, leave them out.

Any recipes for eggnog?

just so I know whether to :barf: or :tongue:

raw egg/no raw egg being the crucial factor.

you buy eggnogg in the refrigerated section of the store next to the milk. You can add rum at home if you like. I think few people make their own and it would be cooked

recipe:
3 cups whole milk
7 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup bourbon
1/3 cup Cognac or other brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla

Special equipment: an instant-read thermometer
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg

Bring milk just to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Whisk together eggs and sugar in a large bowl, then add hot milk in a slow stream, whisking. Pour mixture into saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture registers 170°F on thermometer, 6 to 7 minutes.

Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into cleaned large bowl and stir in cream, bourbon, brandy, and vanilla. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 24.

Cooks' note:
Flavor of eggnog improves when it is made a day ahead to allow alcohol to mellow.

mmmmmmmmm. so it's a bit like unscrambled scrambled egg with lashings of alcohol?

I like how you use cups to weigh stuff.

As if I would use a DIRTY large bowl lol!

Thank you redkat. *goes off to make eggnog shopping list*

1stOne said:

Nooooo! Cups are way easier than all that measuring. Is a cup a l'il thing that goes with a saucer or can it be a greaaaaaaaaaat big cup? *thinking of the alcohol*

If you keep on taking a 'sample' 'sip' of the alcohol as a 'tester' to make sure it lives up to your high quality control standards while making the eggnog then I don't you'll be too fussed either way :wink:

TheQuiet1 said:

If you keep on taking a 'sample' 'sip' of the alcohol as a 'tester' to make sure it lives up to your high quality control standards while making the eggnog then I don't you'll be too fussed either way :wink:

:drunk: LMAO I've been doing that already all week!

Maybe I'll not bother with the scrambled egg bit of the recipe lol!
Sounds a bit too much like hard work!

OK, on a more sober note; @ yertle-the turtle, did it take long to perfect your recipe posted earlier in this hot thread? Could come in very useful in the festive season. Is Yorkshire water suitable?

:wink: Liverwhurst, swiss cheese and pepperoni on a toasted bagel with a dash of mustard. Now you may be thinking :eyebrow: but I can tell you this EVERYONE who has tried it, tells me they think it's awesome.

Not feeling THAT DARING? :ohmy: , try this. Chunky peanut butter and apple sauce on a ritz cracker

http://myspace.com/pridetheu2show

Danish Apple Cake

2 cups toasted bread crumbs
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups applesauce containing
sliced apples
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 T. sugar

Crumbs may be from dried French bread, toasted white bread, zwieback,
cake, or a combination of these. Brown crumbs in a skillet with 1 T. sugar,
cinnamon, and butter. Place prepared crumbs in well-buttered 9x9x2-inch
baking dish in layers alternating with cooked applesauce. Bake 1 hour
at 350 degrees. Unmold. Serve cold with a generous helping of whipped
cream, sweetened with 2 T. sugar. Decorate with dabs of red jelly.

Last edited:
:bump: :D

Need more recipes. Who has something good for dinner & relatively simple (with chicken or beef preferably).

\kthanxbai!

1. Pick up phone
2. Dial pizza delivery place
3. Order pizza
4. Wait for pizza delivery guy/girl to arrive
5. Pay
6. Eat pizza

Back
Top Bottom