Wow! You really do look better when I'm drunk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
THE next time you hear someone blaming "beer goggles" for their behaviour, you may have to believe them. People really do appear more attractive when our perceptions are changed by drinking alcohol.

There have been few previous attempts to investigate idea that people seem to find others more attractive when drunk. In 2003, psychologists at the University of Glasgow, UK, published a study in which they asked heterosexual students in campus bars and cafés whether they had been drinking, and then got them to rate photos of people for attractiveness. While the results supported the beer goggles theory, another explanation is that regular drinkers tend to have personality traits that mean they find people more attractive, whether or not they are under the influence of alcohol at the time.

To resolve the issue, a team of researchers led by Marcus Munafò at the University of Bristol in the UK conducted a controlled experiment. They randomly assigned 84 heterosexal students to consume either a non-alcoholic lime-flavoured drink or an alcoholic beverage with a similar flavour. The exact amount of alcohol varied according to the individual but was designed to have an effect equivalent to someone weighing 70 kilograms drinking 250 millitres of wine - enough to make some students tipsy. After 15 minutes, the students were shown pictures of people their own age, from both sexes.

Both men and women who had consumed alcohol rated the faces as being more attractive than did the controls (Alcohol and Alcoholism, DOI: 10.1093/alcalc/agn065). Surprisingly, the effect was not limited to the opposite sex - volunteers who had drunk alcholol also rated people from their own sex as more attractive.

This contrasts with the Glaswegian team's results, where there was only an effect when men were looking at pictures of women, and vice versa. One explanation, says Munafò, is that alcohol-boosted perceptions of attractiveness tend to become focused on potential sexual partners in environments conducive to sexual encounters. He aims to repeat the experiment after showing students a video of people flirting in a bar, to provide some appropriate social cues.

Munafò also intends to study how the effect varies with the amount of alcohol consumed - although ethical constraints rule out exploring doses at which our ability to focus on a face breaks down. "We can look at smaller doses and we can look at slightly higher doses," he says.

As well as changing perceptions of attractiveness, alcohol also encourages us to engage in behaviour we would otherwise avoid. In a study by Robert Leeman of Yale University students reported they were more likely to engage in risky sexual acts after drinking - which could be due to alcohol lowering our inhibitions through a direct effect on the brain or by providing a convenient excuse for such behaviour.

link

So get that guy or girl that's out of your league drunk and you just might have a chance! :flirt: ...at least until he/she sobers up and gives you this :yikes: look. :D

Dear Christian Bale and/or George Clooney:

Would you like to get a drink many drinks sometime?

xoxoxo,

Me

Dear Christian Bale,

When you've finished with cori and u2f4e, get some drinks into me and we'll see what happens, apparently I find members of the opposite sex attractive too

Take care,

Daniel

Dear Rory Gilmore,

I know you're a fictional character and everything, and I know you don't usually drink that much but if you stop by my apartment we can crack open a bottle of Dom Perignon '53 and read some Faulkner to eachother. If you know what I mean...

Love,

GAF

I have a policy of never, ever, flirting or fooling around with someone that seems even remotely under the influence.

The reasons for this are two-fold: First, it wouldn't be right, at least for me, to take advantage of someone in that state. Secondly, I would want to hook up with someone that wants to be with me because she wants to, rather than someone whose insobriety has caused her to want to be with anyone, regardless of her own personal tastes when sober.

I have a policy of never, ever, flirting or fooling around with someone that seems even remotely under the influence.

The reasons for this are two-fold: First, it wouldn't be right, at least for me, to take advantage of someone in that state. Secondly, I would want to hook up with someone that wants to be with me because she wants to, rather than someone whose insobriety has caused her to want to be with anyone, regardless of her own personal tastes when sober.

Reason #4,567,890 why BoMac rules. :up:

:up:

yeah...unless you yourself are also under the influence... :uhoh: then it's just a whole heap of trouble.

Dear Bono,

I will give you many drinks if you give me the new U2 album. Totally fair trade.

<3,
Someone who totally isn't interested in leaking the new U2 album, or in being in any way "friendly" with you

Reason #1 why BoMac seems morally superior :(

So, if GAF saw a hot girl, through double vision, he would tink they were twins and that it was his lucky night.

Spoken, Ive had a wee share of eejits asked me out when pissed.

:down:

I'm sure you have no shortage of idiots asking you out, drunk or otherwise. :)

Not sure about double vision, but if you double the age of most girls GAF takes a liking to, you end up with a Running Back's uniform #.

ach wee GAF, he needs to come here and get proper p*ssed.

it would do him better.

better than good.

no, Spoken, that used to happen, not now. they dont want older girls!
always 40 or 50 year old suits that walk over. yesh!

Older? How old are you??? Younger than I am, that's for sure. Where are you hanging out that 50 year old suits are approaching you?

GAF and you, spending a weekend together, getting proper pissed....nice.

To honor GAF, I was thinking Walter Payton's.

I think he is a little young to remember sweetness. I was going to give him Cedric Benson, but we know about his issues. That leaves us with current Bear greats Kevin Jones (no Drew) or Adrian Peterson (the bear, of course).

Last edited:

Nice :hi5: I like where your head is at. That spiel works like 75% of the time, buddy. Boost that up 90% if you've given them a few drinks first. But I bet you knew that already. :We need a smiley of a guy pointing at his buddy in an approving matter:

Back
Top Bottom