Winter (no, not the song!) - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Oh yes, the media hype was really something. And the Deutsches Wetterzentrum has become so anxious and careful now, for one region they gave out that warning: "Warning for snow. Light snowfall will occur, with no more than 0.5cm of snow in six hours."
Are you kidding me? That's hardly enough to powder the streets, let alone cause any sort of troubles. Might be a bit slippery, but who hasn't figured that out by now won't do so until he greets a tree or pole.

The media seems to be increasingly building every little non-issue into the next big catastrophe, and then they say, "Oh well, hasn't been as bad as predicted". Most people I read are also assuming some sort of pattern, either to attract readers (especially online so you have high clicking rates and attract advertisers), or simply to deflect from some other issues which would be way more worthy some in-depth reporting. Whatever, I wonder how many more times we will hear them crying wolf until the real wolf finally shows up and everyone has grown tired of it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:06 PM
The media has also warned enough for Holland as well, but those were pretty accurate. Though the problems are more under control than expected, the whole country has had quite a lot of troubles because of the what we call 'sneeuwjacht' (when there's lots of hard wind and falling snow causing snowdunes and bad sight and whatever). It was pretty bad in a lot of parts. Also warnings of not to go outside when you don't have to. Which was pretty good, seeing as you could hardly drive on the roads because of the wind and bad sight in combination with the snowfall. I knew some people who really had to get home yesterday, but it took them about 3 times longer than normal to get where they wanted to. On the highways there was no one in sight except for them who had to get home

Though unfortunately I had to get out yesterday by foot to do some grocery shopping, which was an adventure by itself. I slipped and fell almost for quite a few times, despite my winterboots and being careful and staying on the main roads. There was few people on the streets.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:06 PM
More snow.