Who's the best comedian you've seen live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though it's getting cliche to say, Louis CK is the best I've seen. I think it's been about 5 times now and I'm always in tears from laughing so hard. Patton Oswalt is up there too. Haven't seen David Cross live, but his live albums are amazing.

I have to say though, the single funniest night of comedy was last year at a small comedy club in Toronto during Just of Laughs. It was hosted by Andy Kindler and there were 5 or 6 comedians on the bill. By the end, with all the impromptu guests (Louis CK was one!) it had devolved into this shapeless shit show of comedy and it was a joy to behold. James Adomian did his entire set in the persona of Jesse the Body Ventura (complete with costume). He's one of the few impressionists that take it beyond just doing a funny voice. Great night

The best I've seen was a tag-team of Chelsea Peretti and Pete Holmes. By the end of Holmes' set I was physically uncomfortable, because I'd reached the point where I couldn't handle laughing any more but Pete was still going through bits. If it had been a YouTube video I'd have hit pause and taken a walk around my room to compose myself, so the next best alternative I seriously considered was leaving the auditorium into the hallway outside.

kanye-west-laugh.gif

I saw a comedian earlier this year by the name of Greg Fleet, who told the story of his life as a heroin addict. It was mesmerising. He did a show about a decade ago where he claimed to be clean; he was lying the entire time, and would race out after the show trying to score heroin.

This year's show he did a small, dark room. Just him on stage, one light, and a microphone, and he told all these stories about being a heroin addict, and how close he came to dying. He got cornered down an alleyway in Edinburgh during the Edinburgh fest by junkies brandishing two-pronged razors designed to leave a small bit of skin in between the cuts they would slash on people's faces, leaving horrific scars that couldn't be stitched up normally. One of them recognised him from Neighbours, and they gave him cheap heroin for the rest of the festival.

It was one of, if not perhaps, the best comedy show I've ever seen. I've never had the experience of being on the edge of my seat for an entire show, listening to some horrific stories balanced with some exceptional humour.

I've only seen two comedians ever, and neither of them were good enough for me to care to remember their names.

I've seen a fair share.
Robin Williams was hilarious and frenetic as all hell.
Saw Chris Rock with my feet resting on the stage, he was damn funny as well.
Steven Wright also quite good.

Lots of local guys many who have been good, some less so. (one time at this very small comedy club in Boston saw some guy who was bombing badly, then he says, "now I'm going to do some impressions, first I'd like to do Julia Roberts", and I yell out "so would I" and that got the biggest laugh of the night, he replies,"great now you're stealing my punch lines", I'm sure that dude didn't go far)

Less than impressed with Eddie Murphy.

It has been many, many years since I've seen comedy live.

Larry David though. Long, long before Seinfeld. Thought he was wonderful. I was
doing an article on Improv comics and he is the the one I featured because his comedy was just so much smarter and odder than everyone else's.

Would love to see Robin Williams. Eddie Murphy. Louis CK. I'm just lazy. I mean really lazy.

How much is a Louis CK show in the States? It was over $80 in Sydney I think. I'd love to see him live but I have a real problem with paying more than $40 for live comedy.

I'm a huge fan of Jason Byrne but he's charging in excess of $50 now. No matter really, I achieved my goal of being brought onstage for one of his shows.

Got to see Louie for about $45. His "cutting the middle man" business model is what levied the costs; not sure if other comics at his level of popularity have tickets as affordable.

The Just for Laughs (JFL42) is coming back to Toronto if anyone is interested and in the area. The headliner was better last year (Louis), but it's all the other acts throughout the week that really make it a fun event.
Basically, you buy a ticket to see the headliner, then are given 4 credits to redeem at any of the 42 other acts throughout the week. After you see an act, you get your credit back and can put it toward another.
This years headliners are Aziz Ansari, Sara Silverman, and "Family Guy Live". Not the most exciting (I picked Sara Silverman as Aziz is the unfunniest man on the planet), and so far have reserved spots for Bill Burr, Andy Kindler (usually a multi-comic show with him), Hannibal Buress, and Janeane Garofalo (last one wasn't my choice). They still have about 30 more comics yet to announce too. Marc Maron will probably be the next I reserve.
Not sure it will reach the heights of last year, but it should still be fun. It would be hard to top the list I saw at last year's though:

Louis CK twice
Patton Oswalt
Amy Shumer
Todd Barry
Todd Glass
Andy Kindler
James Adomian
Pete Holmes
J Kamau Bell

Oh and a pass is $100. Not bad considering

Dude, please go see Sam Simmons. He's on the 21st and 22nd according to the site. Aussie dude and his absurdist humour is some of the funniest, most unique shit I've ever seen.

Also don't miss Set List, watching established, genuinely funny comedians doing improv is thrilling. I think I saw it three times at MICF this year alone.

The Just for Laughs (JFL42) is coming back to Toronto if anyone is interested and in the area. The headliner was better last year (Louis), but it's all the other acts throughout the week that really make it a fun event.
Basically, you buy a ticket to see the headliner, then are given 4 credits to redeem at any of the 42 other acts throughout the week. After you see an act, you get your credit back and can put it toward another.
This years headliners are Aziz Ansari, Sara Silverman, and "Family Guy Live". Not the most exciting (I picked Sara Silverman as Aziz is the unfunniest man on the planet), and so far have reserved spots for Bill Burr, Andy Kindler (usually a multi-comic show with him), Hannibal Buress, and Janeane Garofalo (last one wasn't my choice). They still have about 30 more comics yet to announce too. Marc Maron will probably be the next I reserve.
Not sure it will reach the heights of last year, but it should still be fun. It would be hard to top the list I saw at last year's though:

Louis CK twice
Patton Oswalt
Amy Shumer
Todd Barry
Todd Glass
Andy Kindler
James Adomian
Pete Holmes
J Kamau Bell

Oh and a pass is $100. Not bad considering

That's pretty cool.

Aziz Ansari is even less funny than Dane Cook. That's quite the achievement that I didn't even think possible.

Saw Aziz last year at The Comedy Cellar in NYC. He was unannounced so at first it was pretty cool and exciting, but that soon faded. Dude was road testing new material off his iPhone, lame and unfunny.

Louis CK was also a surprise at the Sydney JFL a couple if years ago, amazing.

Ed Byrne is very, very funny, seen him a couple if times.

....even if you take it to mean alive, you still have to answer which you think was the best. The question wasn't "which comedians have you seen live". Goddammit, wannabe

I've tried to watch the first episode of that show twice now, and can't. It's too painfully unfunny.

Back
Top Bottom