Who's the best comedian you've seen live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Comedy culture, or really any other performance etiquette, outside of the States fascinates me.

Is there a different social protocol when it comes to shows, Cobbler? Does it play into the different styles of comedy/performance one may find in Oz vs. the States?

I've seen a few Australian comedians comment on how in the States audiences are ready for a good time, supportive, cheering, clapping, all that, whereas in Australia the tendency is sometimes for the audience to sit back and wait to be impressed.

I think that might just be Australian gigs in general, comedy, music or otherwise. Crowds often feel as if they're full of frightened rabbits afraid to make a move.

Yes, definitely true. It's annoying for people like myself, who hate motionless crowds. Bruce Springsteen made a comment about it at his Australian shows. Him, Jeff Tweedy and Matt Berninger are just three straight off the top of my head who had to literally urge the crowd to get into it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how people are so blown away by that. Lots of "starting a revolution" hyperbole being tossed around with little substance. He's disenfranchised with the political system, but doesn't really offer anything up. It's not what he's saying is complete bullshit... but he doesn't really say much here. And I generally like him

I'm with you. Even as a leftie, I find it strange people are going so apeshit over it. I guess that's what you get in the internet age. Just comes across as a verbose rant to me.

Back
Top Bottom