Which American accent do you have? Quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which American accent do you have?
Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

I sound like I should sound! :D

I'd have to look thru it to see where I might be droppin' R's or not. :lol:

Thanks VP, I enjoy this kind of stuff!

I did hear (on a radio piece about accents reccently) that pronouncing Mary, Merry & marry all differently was something that i think only North Easterners do.

.......Northern You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

That's about right, even though I was born and raised in NYC...whenever I go places people tell me that I don't sound like a New Yawker and I've always thought myself to have more of a generic Northern accent. Not sure how I escaped a Noo Yawk accent as my dad and brother and sister all have Bronx accents of varying degrees; I guess I take after my mother who also has a more generic Northern accent (she's from Manhattan).

When I went by bus across the USA by bus twice....I often was told that I "didn't sound" like a NOO YAWKer .

I assumed it meant I didn't sound like.....
the old "toity toid street" ? irish-influenced accent - that certainly showed up in a lot of movies with NYC as it's location

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

i'm nothing.. bland... :sad:

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.
Or maybe I´m NOT american :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have the northern accent.

Some folks tell me they can hear the "Wiscaaaaaaaaaaaaahnsin" when I talk, but other folks tell me they can't hear it at all.

I never noticed the flat Midwestern speak when I lived there, but now when I visit home, I hear it in the voices of some of my family members and friends, but not others'. My parents don't have it, but a few of my aunts and uncles do, and one of my close friends seems to have picked up a really strong one in the past few years; I certainly don't recall her having it when I lived there.

At least I don't have that really scary Wisconsin accent that sounds distinctly like the accents heard in the movie Fargo. My uncle has that. (And now he lives in North Carolina, and does a spot-on impression of their accent.)

Back
Top Bottom