Which American accent do you have? Quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Total U2 Nut said:

Ditto :up: I personally don't think British accents sound much northeastern american accents, but maybe that's just me :wink:

I don't really either, but my mother was from the Boston area and people here (SW Ohio) always thought she had a British accent. Go figure.

I got Midland, which as I'm from Ohio is just what I should be. :)

Southern
People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.

full754912005eo7.jpg
'Everyone wants one'...yeah, right.

Ok thank God I'm not the only one who got southern...

But what the hell...how did I get southern :huh: I'm from NORTHERN Indiana...I practically live in Chicago, and everyone tells me I sound like I'm from Chicago...:hmm: this quiz is...quite interesting

phillyfan26 said:
Somehow, it came up with southern for me, when everyone I've met from outside states pegs me for being from Philly. I don't trust that quiz.

What is the result for Philly/South Jersey accents anyway?

Mid Atlantic

Also known as a "Philadelphia accent" but also heard in south Jersey, Baltimore, and thereabouts.

full_674423600.jpg

My Results:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Which is funny but not surprising to me. I'm a native SE North Carolinian but I detest a super thick drawl so I've made an effort for years to get my accent pretty generic. I don't know how I sound to others (New York St Patty's crowd??? -- any comments?) but I know I get asked by folks here on a pretty regular basis where I'm from. :wink:

I'm from West Virginia, but I got:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Yeppers! Chi-Town for sure. :D With a little bit of New York, too, even though I've never been there hahaha

another midland accent here. and i've only been in that area one time! i've been on vacation in chicago and that's it. :huh:

i guess it's really true though when i say i have no accent, i just sound american.

waynetravis said:
Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)

It's the same for me! I wonder if that's because we're both from the same area of the UK? :hmm:

Total U2 Nut said:

Ditto :up: I personally don't think British accents sound much northeastern american accents, but maybe that's just me :wink:

Personally I think it just gave me that because it didn't know where else to put me. For all those "do you pronounce the vowel like-" type questions I just guessed as for most of them I didn't pronounce the vowel like any of the options given (if that makes sense).

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life

Another Midlander here. I grew up in Wisconsin and lived there until I was 26. Once I moved to the northwest, I had some people tell me they could hear a midwest accent (Wiscaaaaaahnsin), and others tell me they couldn't tell at all.

:shrug:

Northeast New England accent! :lol: That's funny cos the only accent I probably have is a slight Indian accent. I guess my English pronunciation is most similar to a Bostoner's accent.

Zootlesque said:
Northeast New England accent! :lol: That's funny cos the only accent I probably have is a slight Indian accent. I guess my English pronunciation is most similar to a Bostoner's accent.

alright the test is officially bogus :wink:

Back
Top Bottom