Which American accent do you have? Quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[q]North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before. [/q]

I am from Minnesota but more south, not up north like the map showed. I've never been asked if I was from Canada! :madwife:

midland...which, i am from the midwest, so there you go

i guess i don't have much of an accent. I like to spell stuff with u's though

Northeast New England

The kind of accent they have in Boston. There is more to it than just r's. Like, you say "don" and "dawn" the same while the people down in NYC don't.

Apparently, there is more to it because I think I pronounce most of my R's.

Northern too. I've always lived in the south-southwest so I would've thought I'd be prone to hillbilly speak but no. :wink:

Actually, I think it has a lot to do with how the people around you talk when you're young. My mom's from New York and I was never really around people with really thick southern accents, so for me it makes sense. :)

Got Philk? said:

Me too!

Northern?
Who'd a thunk it. Since I was born an hour from Chicago, then lived in Wisconsin, 10 minutes away from Minnisoooooota, Lived in Iowa for a short bit, and now in Michigan...;)

What city/town did you live in WI?

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Yup! :wink:

West Michigan does have some weirdly accented words, but none were on this quiz. We also have some words with Dutch accents, also not on the quiz.

The All-American one, lol.

My mom is English, so I first learned to speak with a British accent. It went away when I started attending school, but I still use English phrases a lot ("rubbish bin," etc.) I was born in New York city and my dad's family is from New York, so there are NY-isms that pop up when I talk ("whaddya want?") Grew up mostly in Maryland, so there's a bit of Maryland-ese when I say words with long "o" sounds (Imagine 'Coke' being said sort of in Valley-girl speak, with a pronounced long "o" -- that's the Maryland accent). Now I live in California, and I went to college here, so I use all the sweet Cali phrases (we say "dude" at work, etc.)

So, one big mish-mash of accents, I guess... people always ask, "where the F*** are you from?" lol

:wink:

[EDIT: oops, posted without taking the quiz, lol. I got "southern." Weird. I guess Maryland is technically a southern state, maybe that's what did it.]

Last edited:
Somehow, it came up with southern for me, when everyone I've met from outside states pegs me for being from Philly. I don't trust that quiz.

What is the result for Philly/South Jersey accents anyway?

phillyfan26 said:
Somehow, it came up with southern for me, when everyone I've met from outside states pegs me for being from Philly. I don't trust that quiz.

What is the result for Philly/South Jersey accents anyway?

I got midland which defiantly isn't the Philly/South Jersey accent that I speak.

WildHoneyAlways said:
My Results:

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

*ding ding ding* We have a winner!

Same here.

North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

Pretty good considering I am Canadian! (And I don't say "aboot" for about and frankly don't know of anyone who does!)

Northern

Lila64 said:
is there no such thing as a west coast accent? I'm confused :scratch:

I got Midland as well. Seems they didn't ask any questions to tag people as Valley Girls, like if you alway inlfect at the end of a sentence or drop the middles out of words (ie, bu-on for button or moun-ain for mountain).

Back
Top Bottom