What's there to do in Montreal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
I'm going to Montreal this weekend to visit my girlfriend, who's there for job training right now. I've never been, and other than Mont-Royal and the Olympic Stadium, I can't think of any landmarks to visit or touristy things to do. Anyone who lives there/has been there before want to help me out and suggest something to do? Keep in mind I'm only there for two and a half days, and I don't have a car (although our hotel is in the dead centre of the downtown core). Something that will impress the shit out of her would be a bonus (supposedly it's North America's most romantic city, whatever that means). Someone who lives there and goes to school here in Halifax mentioned the biodome, but a big zoo doesn't really interest me unless there's something really amazing there that I shouldn't miss.

Thanks. :up:

Shit, I can't wait :hyper:

Dave,

While Montreal is an extremely romantic city, it doesn't compare, in my opinion, to Quebec City. That being said, I've been around, and there's no city out there that compares to Montreal. But then I'm biased, of course.

Really, it all depends what you like to do. If you want to wow your girlfriend, head down to Old Montreal (Vieux Montreal), which is walking distance from downtown and go to any number of great restaurants in that sector. Some are pricey, but some are affordable, and all offer a unique atmosphere.

Also, there are a number of churches that you can visit, purely for the historical and architectural aspect of it. I'd suggest St. Patrick's Basilica downtown on René Levesque Blvd. and Basilica Notre Dame in Old Montreal.

The Biodome is cool, but it's next to the Olympic Stadium, and you'd have to take a 15-20 minute subway ride to get there. Basically, many of the world's habitats and ecosystems are represented there, with different animals and vegetation.

Does she like to shop? Walk up and down St. Catherine St. and it's a virtual shoppers paradise. There's a plethora of different shops to visit.

What else does she like to do? I'll make other suggestions later.

Really, it all depends what you like to do. If you want to wow your girlfriend, head down to Old Montreal (Vieux Montreal), which is walking distance from downtown and go to any number of great restaurants in that sector. Some are pricey, but some are affordable, and all offer a unique atmosphere.

I'm planning on taking her out for a nice dinner on the Saturday (her birthday was a week ago, and we won't get to see each other again before Valentine's Day), so Vieux-Montréal is where we'll go.

The Biodome is cool, but it's next to the Olympic Stadium, and you'd have to take a 15-20 minute subway ride to get there. Basically, many of the world's habitats and ecosystems are represented there, with different animals and vegetation.

Well it sounds like it would be kind of a neat way to spend an afternoon - is it worth the subway trip?

What else does she like to do? I'll make other suggestions later.

I'll resist the obvious "me" joke here. :wink:

She does love to shop though, so rue Ste.-Catherine will definitely be a stop. I thought it was a bit far from downtown though...? I may be thinking of another street.

Thanks for the recommendations, I was hoping you'd throw your two cents in when I made this thread. :hi5:

I'm planning on taking her out for a nice dinner on the Saturday (her birthday was a week ago, and we won't get to see each other again before Valentine's Day), so Vieux-Montréal is where we'll go.

Good. It's a shame you're going in February, because that area is really hopping in the spring/summer. Regardless, you'll find something there to suit your taste. Hopefully it won't be too cold so you can walk around and explore a little.

Well it sounds like it would be kind of a neat way to spend an afternoon - is it worth the subway trip?

It's a nice way to spend two or three hours. While there you might be able to go up in the Olympic tower and get a panoramic view of the city.

She does love to shop though, so rue Ste.-Catherine will definitely be a stop. I thought it was a bit far from downtown though...? I may be thinking of another street.

St. Catherine is in the heart of downtown. I'd stay on that street between the Guy St. intersection until one or two blocks past McGill College Ave.

Also, if you guys like to drink and party, visit one of the city's main bar streets, Crescent Street. There are numerous pubs, bars and clubs here, and you'll find something where you guys can sit and relax.

Thanks for the recommendations, I was hoping you'd throw your two cents in when I made this thread. :hi5:

No problem. :hi5:

What I saw of Old Montreal when I was there this summer was very cool. Montreal is a city I'd definitely like to go back and explore some more. I definitely need to brush up on my French a little before I go back, though. I found it to be much less bilingual than people told me it was going to be.

I'll resist the obvious "me" joke here. :wink:

You FAILED to resist. :down:

BoMac knows best, but I love the fact that it is a city of neighborhoods. There are some great neighborhoods when you get out of the downtown/old town area.

Hey BoMac...any Cirque shows going on now? Do they still have their "tent" there?

So I've decided to spend the majority of my time in Montreal drinking and attempting to convince my girlfriend to go to the Supersex strip club. I don't think either of those will be very difficult. :up::sexywink:

Anyways, I'm leaving now. See you Monday.

BoMac knows best, but I love the fact that it is a city of neighborhoods. There are some great neighborhoods when you get out of the downtown/old town area.

Indeed. There are some cities where neighbourhoods just bleed into another, but in Montreal, each neighbourhood has it's own distinct feel, culture, architecture. Some of my favourite neighbourhoods are the Plateau, N.D.G., and Little Italy, to name but a few.

Hey BoMac...any Cirque shows going on now? Do they still have their "tent" there?

Well, I think they periodically do shows at their headquarters located in the city's east end. But the tent you are refering to was at the Old Port, and it is no longer there (or maybe it is, I haven't been back home for 4 months).

Incidentally, the Cirque's HQ is part of this massive, sprawling complex that includes the national circus school, and a performing arts centre. It's pretty much the only reason for tourists to visit the east end (and I'm an east ender :) )

So I've decided to spend the majority of my time in Montreal drinking and attempting to convince my girlfriend to go to the Supersex strip club. I don't think either of those will be very difficult. :up::sexywink:

Anyways, I'm leaving now. See you Monday.

Dude, I could have suggested WAY better places than Supersexe. :D

This was the view from my hotel room. And below is the hotel.

The most confusing shopping mall on Earth.

My travelling companions in our seats at the Bell Centre. My girlfriend's the one on the right.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I used a few of 'em and as a result had one of the best weekends I can remember. Montreal is fucking gorgeous, and I'm already making plans to go back next month.

You definitely set me up for it, though. :wink:

There's always next year. All you need is a goalie and a coach and to not let 10 skaters leave for free agency. :hi5:

I'll probably have some free time during the evenings. I was hoping to not spend so much money, but, if there's a chance for me to see a band i like or a musical or something I wouldn't be opposed for that. What are some of the venues I can check for shows that are within commuting distance from downtown?

Speaking of Montreal....on Flow the other day some chick called in and said she and her 3 friends were driving at top speed to Montreal.

Apparently her boyfriend had dumped her. Next day, she went to his place and found that he had cleared out and his friends said he'd moved to Montreal. :ohsnap:
So she and her girls were going there to 'confront' him. 5 hours drive. :huh:

Ummmmmm

:coocoo: :banghead: :doh:

Back
Top Bottom