What do you like about where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No air pollution.

Lots of pretty parks.

It only takes 20 minutes to get from one side of town to the other, and I only have a 10-minute drive to work.

Low cost of living (of course the flip side of this is the ridiculously low salaries).

We get all four seasons.

Specifically to my neighborhood...I can walk to almost anything I need. I am just blocks away from a variety of restaurants, bars, hair salons, grocery stores, drug stores, retail shops, dry cleaners, and a post office. Even some good friends live just a few blocks away. I have a great walking/biking trail running past my house that I can take downtown or up to the art district of the suburb to the north...or I can just burn off steam after work.

To the state...We should most definitely be on Central Time, but we have daylight until nearly 6 pm in the dead of winter, and until nearly 10 pm at the beginning of summer. I grew so accustomed to that so quickly, I am ready for bed around 8:30 just about everywhere else in the country.

I miss the ocean I grew up next to, and the Amtrak and MBTA commuter rails just down the street (waive to my uncle driving your trail, you Northern Corridor Amtrak users!). But I am very, very lucky and can visit almost anytime I want!

Persians, Persians, and more Persians:drool: Best desert ever!!

I honestly don't know if you live in a desert that's full of Persians and you really love Persians, or if you're talking about something about which I am completely ignorant.

Plz to explain for my benefit?

Mountains and hills--I don't like flat.
2 hours from Philadelphia, 2 1/2 hours from NYC, but close to country.
Recently pretty mild winters
Turkeys flying in front of your car.
AHL hockey 5 minutes from work, Triple A baseball 15 minutes away
Church bells (don't like church, just like the bells) and train whistles.
Big enough to draw in some name music (they do the early tour warmup shows
here so they are ready for the real shows elsewhere:D) and small enough to
see them close.

Turkeys flying in front of your car.

Haha, those things scare me

But I do love having all kinds of wild animals-coyotes, foxes, eagles, deer, wild turkeys..as long as I stay at a safe distance. The park I live near has even had black bears, but I've never seen one. We've also had an occasional mountain lion in the area but I've never seen one of those either.

I live in Ohio, and I don't think it's an armpit. :lol:

As far as where I live in terms of location, I love that I'm so close to two universities, several resturaunts, the library, several stores, a bar, and a movie theater. It's all within walking distance. I could also potentially (although it's dangerous to do it) walk to Bogart's, which is a place that has live bands (I'm seeing Porcupine Tree there in May.)

What I don't like is my apartment. I have slumlords that I'm under, and I have to fight with them in order to get anything done. As soon as my lease is up, I'm out, unless they give me a DAMN good reason to stay.

The people, the schools, the parks, the lakes, the mountains. All my relatives are within a 3 hour drive. We have all 4 seasons (although winter is too long...) We are the summer home of the NYC Ballet and Philadelphia Orchestra and have an amazing outside venue for them to perform in (it also draws bands like Dave Matthews, the Police, Tom Petty--and U2 a long time ago before I lived here) We have what I believe is the oldest horse track in the country too! It's a great place to raise a family and other than a house on tropical beach, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Oh yeah, there are a lot of wonderful sights within driving distance. There's a Zoo within walking distance, and several theme parks about a 30-45 min drive away. There's even a real park right across the street from my apartment.

The beach is just 10 minutes away, if you go by car. Not that I go there all that often, but in summer it's just nice to know that it's always there close by if you feel like it. Also, the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island are always there if we want to go body surfing.

Not too far away from the CBD, and living within a walking distance to a train station and a big shopping centre with the cinemas is quite handy.

The weather - yes I complain about the "bloody Melbourne weather" all the time, but I think I rather like having unpredictable temperatures from day to day.

Cafes and restaurants galore - I think we're really spoiled for choice when it comes to food and different cuisines. Also, theatres and live music.

Trams - I don't even use them all that much but I think they're adorable.

Lots of beautiful spots around in the countryside.

Surrounded by gorgeous parks -tons of great places for the kids to ride / kick the footy / run around like loons safely
Trees galore :heart:
Beach is 20mins one way, the city 20 mins the other
Walking distance to school / work / shops ( and we have two awesome shopping centres to choose from)
My buds and family are all close by
Fantastic coffee within a stones throw from my front door
It feels safe
We get a kick ass breeze running right through our house even on the hottest of days

Haha, those things scare me

But I do love having all kinds of wild animals-coyotes, foxes, eagles, deer, wild turkeys..as long as I stay at a safe distance. The park I live near has even had black bears, but I've never seen one. We've also had an occasional mountain lion in the area but I've never seen one of those either.

We have bears around and everyone in the world but me has seen one wild. Haven't seen a coyote either. But possum (opossum for the purists), badgers, the very occasional eagle and I am awed by the hawks. (I like crows too)

I love where I live because there's only about 1,000 people here. We've got lots of horses, cows, deer, 2 camels, some llama, more wildlife than you overseas folk probably want to know about, 1 roundabout, no traffic lights, 3 pubs (yes, the pub : people ratio really is that bad) and the beloved river. It's peaceful and beautiful. We're close enough to a big town/small city to not feel like we're isolated, and civilisation is on average a 30 min car trip. I've thought about starting a picture thread on where we all live for ages. Photos we've all taken, not website stuff. I like a good stickybeak.

I didn't realise you were so far out of Sydney. :silent:

I like the pub and restaurant culture, the nearby long beaches that are never crowded, the close proximity to urban and suburban shopping centres, the palette of colours the sky brings out at sunset, the hills, the way the moon hovers over the hills and the city at dusk, driving across the whole city at night, staring absent mindedly at the Rundle Lantern while waiting to cross Pulteney Street, buying a bunch of fresh produce from the Central Market and then leaving most of it to rot in the fridge, going to a game at AAMI Stadium and seeing us beat the home side...

... though I still want to move.

A few more good things:

- One of the best coffeehouses is right down the street, so I can walk to it.
- There's a nice church I go to that's within walking distance, too. So all I have to do is walk to church every Sunday morning.
- There's a CVS, and a regular grocery store, right down the street.
- There's a public library right down the street (which is great, because I read a lot and have easy access to thousands of books, cds, and DVDs.)

I'm about 2.5 hours from Philadelphia, and 2.5 hours away from NYC, meaning I can pretty much see whatever tour I wish to. Going to NYC just for the sake of it is a common occurence for myself.

We actually have a locally owned record-store chain around here (that I frequent as much as possible).

Two smaller-sized cities (Wilkes-Barre and Scranton) nearby, along with all of the shopping districts and eateries that go along with them. We even have an arena...but the last concert I saw there was in 2001...:reject:

EDIT: 'BonosSaint', are we in the same area?

I love where I live because there's only about 1,000 people here. We've got lots of horses, cows, deer, 2 camels, some llama, more wildlife than you overseas folk probably want to know about, 1 roundabout, no traffic lights, 3 pubs (yes, the pub : people ratio really is that bad) and the beloved river. It's peaceful and beautiful. We're close enough to a big town/small city to not feel like we're isolated, and civilisation is on average a 30 min car trip. I've thought about starting a picture thread on where we all live for ages. Photos we've all taken, not website stuff. I like a good stickybeak.

I want to live there. Camels?

Now that I think about it, not that much.
It's just a quiet little town where nothing happens. I'd say my friends who live here and my house.

Very much.

Enjoying the benefits of urban life, still having parks very close and being able to visit the city's "green belt" in only about half an hour. Having a lot of traditional coffee houses and pubs/restaurants nearby, many of them with gardens where you can enjoy food and drinks in summer. Living very close to the city center, being able to walk to the center and to work. Museums, theatres, concert halls, a great public transport system. I grew up in the countryside, but I never liked it there, I enjoy living in the city so much more, even though I also like the city's green surroundings and parks.

What I don't like: People here tend to be grumpy, negative, pessimistic and complain much. There's something totally whiney about people here that I haven't seen with anyone else in any other city. It's just a part of people I don't like, but I guess it's the mentality.

The beach is just 10 minutes away, if you go by car. Not that I go there all that often, but in summer it's just nice to know that it's always there close by if you feel like it. Also, the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island are always there if we want to go body surfing.

Not too far away from the CBD, and living within a walking distance to a train station and a big shopping centre with the cinemas is quite handy.

The weather - yes I complain about the "bloody Melbourne weather" all the time, but I think I rather like having unpredictable temperatures from day to day.

Cafes and restaurants galore - I think we're really spoiled for choice when it comes to food and different cuisines. Also, theatres and live music.

Trams - I don't even use them all that much but I think they're adorable.

Lots of beautiful spots around in the countryside.

what suburb do you live in? :)

personally i absolutely love our weather. it's been immortalised in song, it's completely unpredictable (though it ruined Pyramid Rock) and it's better than Queensland, where the weather is either hot, fucking hot, stinking hot or cyclonic.

I want to live there. Camels?

Indeedly so, and you should definitely live here. It's horse country! My daughter used to go to an after-school care that ran from the property with the camels. She'd get picked up by the owner in her Mercedes and then play with camels. It's awesome! :D

There's also a guy who owns a lot of land around here who runs a retirement home for old circus animals. He apparently has lions and stuff. Í've never seen then though, but some neighbours say they've heard a wild cat in the reserve that either belongs to him or has escaped. I can't remember what type they say it is. I tend to think they may be imagining it? It'd be awesome if it were true though.

Back
Top Bottom