What do you like about where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
First off, please, if the only thing you can think of in answer to this question is something such as "That I'm getting the hell out of it soon" or "That it isn't Ohio (or other place you may consider an armpit)", don't post in here. I don't mean you can't mention anything bad about your area, I just would like to the focus to be on the positive (even if it's only that decent bagel place down on Third Street). :)

Some things I like about where I live:

1) the weather. We get four distinct seasons here, and I like that, even though I sometimes think the names of those seasons are: Spring, Summer, Autumn/Fall, and Dreary. The weather here is generally fairly moderate -- yes we can get 100 F days here, but we usually only get a few; we can get below 0 F days here in the winter, but again, we usually only get a few. And although the summers do tend to be humid, they aren't nearly as humid as they could be.

2) Cost of living is fairly low here. The neighborhood I live in now, while not ritzy, is nice. The properties are generally tidy and well kept, and the people are friendly and helpful. Taxes (such as sales and property), food, gas, housing costs are all pretty reasonable.

3) The city and surrounding metro area is big enough to offer a variety of hospitals, veterinary offices (including two emergency/specialty centers), restaurants, concert venues (although I have to admit I've only seen one concert here :reject: ), shopping, etc. It's also small enough to get around, and get out of, easily.

4) The pace is slower than in a lot of larger cities and people met in casual situations seem more even tempered. For instance, when my car died in the middle of a main road during rush hour, several people stopped to make sure I was ok and could get help (ie., a tow truck), then pushed my car to a safe spot at the side of the road. And everyone -- including the motorists blocked from moving by me and my poor little dead car -- was calm and pleasant.

5) Proximity to other cities. Half the population of the US is within 550 miles of where I live, so the things not here (such as concerts I actually want to see) are still within fairly easy reach.

The Olympics to the west, the Cascades to the east, Mount Rainier to the south, lots of green all year round, proximity to water. The scenery in this whole region is to die for.

Big, but not too big. Mild winters, lots of culture, open-minded people.

Seattle rules. :)

I live just south of New Haven, CT. New Haven is best avoided. However, I love that my house is just 1 mile from the beach. It's nothing like the beaches south of here, but the crashing waves are refreshing nonetheless. My university is also on the beach. One of my favorite things to do here is take a nice brisk run or walk along the shore.

I also appreciate the variety of seasons here. Winters are cold, the spring is already mild (70s all weekend!) I'm sure the summers will also be pleasant.

There's definitely a diverse community around here, and that is also reflected in the various local restaurants. My house is right behind a Peruvian restaurant, and a bar that has a banner claiming to have the freshest Guinness pint in town.

Then there's the proximity: NYC is just a 90 minute train ride away (the train station is just minutes from my house). I go there once or twice a month. Boston is about 2 hours away (I haven't been yet, but will likely go at some point this summer.) I love living so close to the train line, where I can just hop on a train to go to NYC, Boston, or DC, and any place inbetween.

I think the best part is living so close to the majority of my friends and family. I moved here in December, and went from being lonely most weekends, to having something to do every week, social-wise.

Minnesota=10,000 lakes! I just moved back from Phoenix last summer. While living there I had a hard time grasping the fact that life didn't revolved around being near a lake or river, as it does in the Twin Cities. It was so beautiful there but I felt so landlocked. Even though MN is not on the coast, there's water everywhere. :heart:

Cheap housing and cheap cost of living. I'm looking at 1200-1500 square foot homes, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a nicely done postage stamp yard in a nice safe neighborhood inside the city for 80-120K. (Now the economy, jobs, and salaries here are probably half that of elsewhere...)

Lake Michigan - like an ocean but no salt! There are some really great beaches, lighthouses, islands, dunes, and the national lakeshore area.

Proximity to Chicago - Chicago is more of a "home town" than Detroit. We go there half a dozen times a year or more. Family in that area, lots of dog shows, or just going for the sake of going. It's far enough to not get sick of each other, close enough where we can go for a weekend or even a day and not waste a ton of time traveling.

I hate the fall and winter here but I love that the summer does get hot and often last until mid-October. Last summer was very mild, but the one before that we were often the same temps as central Florida. I need to be able to go to the beach and do "summer" things so I need some 80s-90s degree months.

People say hi to you instead of hiding their faces while walking around the supermarket.
Lots of people walk or run around the area and they are extremely polite.
We have the best McDonald's in the US....also the best KFC. Weird, but they are also very nice in both locations.
Everything's close shops wise.
No smog.
Great weather year round.

I like that you can drive twenty minutes from the heart of Omaha, a medium-sized city, and feel like no one is around. Even in the city people here tend to be very nice and helpful. There are places and events in the city that I enjoy too. There's a top zoo in the United States, the College World Series, Creighton games in the Qwest Center, the Old Market, the Joselyn Art Museum and far too many to keep naming.

I also love the weather in the summer where you can lie on the ground see endless blue without a cloud in the sky. I think this part of the country is stereotyped as being flat and boring a lot. It is quite beautiful though. There is this unexplainable peace and calmness to it. I've lived here all my life but I have never stopped being inspired by it. :up:

I like the fact that I live close to everything. I live 4 train stops from New York Penn Station. I also live 1 hour and 15 minutes from Philly, 4 hours from Boston and 5 hours from DC. I can also hop on Amtrak and go to those cities for the day. I live 40 minutes from the Jersey shore, and 2 hours from skiing. There is always something to do. I have all 4 seasons so the weather changes every couple of months.

I love the bay area, and will miss it dearly when I move. Great diversity, great food, (mostly) great weather, gorgeous coastlines, forests and mountains within an easy drive, and of course the fabulous wine country.

uhhh. we have a pretty cool tower. oh, and the only worthwhile international airport in the country.

but seriously. there's many decent beaches nearby - if i want a lazy swim at a calm beach i've got one side of the country, if i want to be nearly killed by the surf i can go to the other side of the country and it won't take much more than an hour to get there. at the most i'm less than two hours flying time from anywhere else in the country, whether it be a regular city, a tourist trap, a mountain resort or some of that shit you all saw in lord of the rings. the pacific islands and australia are a cheap three to four hour flight away. public transport is alright.

traffic's worse than sydney, which is nice given we're 1/4 of the size in just about every way measurable. it's still home and i always appreciate it more when i'm coming back.

fuck me it's humid though.

I love the bay area, and will miss it dearly when I move. Great diversity, great food, (mostly) great weather, gorgeous coastlines, forests and mountains within an easy drive, and of course the fabulous wine country.

I'm new to the Bay Area so it's hard for me to wax eloquent about it just about now. I'll let the above speak for me, though.

Diemen, when/where/why are you moving?

The mountains.
The ocean.
The 2010 OLYMPICS!!!
Fresh (and delicious!) seafood all year round.
Gorgeous parks.
Beautiful seasons, despite the sometimes constant rain. :wink:
Friendly people.
The suburbs (where I live). It's far enough away from the city to feel less busy, but close enough to go downtown easily whenever I'd like.
So many fun outdoor things to do, and great indoor stuff as well.
We have a fantastic NHL team, and the city is full of crazy fans.
The fact that you can go snowboarding and waterskiing on the same day.
Great locally brewed beer.

I'm new to the Bay Area so it's hard for me to wax eloquent about it just about now. I'll let the above speak for me, though.

Diemen, when/where/why are you moving?

Though it's not completely set in stone, yet, I'll most likely be moving to Chicago in July. I just couldn't stand the thought of you being nearby (cue Jew joke).

Actually, if this all works out I'll be leaving my job and going back to school to do something that I can actually be passionate about. And moving in with the girlfriend (who has been amazingly supportive and gung ho about moving halfway across the country and in together).

Yes, I'm copying you. :wink:

Though it's not completely set in stone, yet, I'll most likely be moving to Chicago in July. I just couldn't stand the thought of you being nearby (cue Jew joke).

Actually, if this all works out I'll be leaving my job and going back to school to do something that I can actually be passionate about. And moving in with the girlfriend (who has been amazingly supportive and gung ho about moving halfway across the country and in together).

Yes, I'm copying you. :wink:

My Girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago, so, don't copy me too much!

:)

Best of luck with everything. Chicago was decidedly not for me, but, it's still a great city, a real city.

Ian, who says we didn't boof in Chicago?

Well ...

- High living standard
- Quiet, newly built area
- On the foothills with a nice view of rolling hills and the ocean
- Close to the CBD (city centre)
- Cooler weather than suburban areas

sunshine.JPG

echo-park-lake1.jpg

dodger_video_scoreboard.jpg

los-angeles-elysian-park.jpg

NewBeverly.jpg

griff.jpg

switzer_1.jpg

214717645_c542e8f2b8.jpg

mhh, maybe I like this city so much because it is just a crazy metropolis. like you go to the supermarket and the next day you're a model.

ohh and spring. omg spring! :drool:

The change of seasons

I can be in a major city, at the beach or at the mountains or in a very small town all within similar time frames. But I still have the quiet of my suburb and I live a very short walk from a park with hundreds of miles of open space.

The sports

The social progressiveness in a few areas

Rich in history

:up: I love the bay area too. I cant believe you're moving. :tsk:

I love that I live close enough to San Francisco to visit it whenever I'd like, but I prefer a quieter city as the one I'm in. Lots of trees, great weather, and every store or shop and restaurant I could possibly need within a 5 - 10 mile radius.

1) The weather. I believe seasons are overrated and thus like my lovely SoCal weather. We average between 60-80 most of the year occasionally getting in the the 50's or 90's.

2) The Beach. I love going to the beach and can get there within 30 minutes depending on traffic.

3) The Mountains. I do occasionally like to breathe clean air. ;) Seriously, I love going up to the mountains, and we aren't all that far from Sequoia National Park.

4) My particular neighborhood is also awesome. I'm walking distance to the Metro Red line, thus close to Hollywood. I can take the train to various awesome concert venues, the Music Box, Palladium, Hollywood Bowl, The Wiltern, Nokia and Staples. If I'm staying on the Eastside/Downtown I don't need my car. And there are like 50 Thai places within walking distance (I live in Thai Town).

5) My sports teams have awesome venues. I think the LA Coliseum and Dodger stadium are just perfect. For me nothing beats BBQing some TriTip or Carne Asada on campus at USC on game day. Is it September yet?

6) In general, I also love my State, I can drive to San Diego, Monterey, Yosemite, San Francisco and Vegas (not in my state) very easily. There's pretty much everything I could want within an easy drive.

ETA How could I forget?

7) The food! Being in the 2nd largest city in the US we can get just about every food you can think of. The street food runs the gamut from "suicide" dogs (bacon wrapped hot dogs that you eat at your own risk) to gormet food trucks. The Mexican, Thai and Korean food in this city are amazing as is the Sushi. Oh and In-n-Out Burger, Fatburger and Tommy's have :drool:worthy burgers.

1The Mexican, Thai and Korean food in this city are amazing as is the Sushi.

How could I have possibly forgotten the sushi?! :drool: We have some pretty phenomenal sushi places here. The best one is on the first floor of my office building. The employees there all know my name, and the dishes I regularly order. :reject: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom