What do you like about where you live? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenCaNaDiAn View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_(pastry)

* click the link that says did you mean Persian Pastry*
Yeah, I did have the desert/dessert thought, but ....

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #47
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Surrounded by gorgeous parks -tons of great places for the kids to ride / kick the footy / run around like loons safely
Trees galore
Beach is 20mins one way, the city 20 mins the other
Walking distance to school / work / shops ( and we have two awesome shopping centres to choose from)
My buds and family are all close by
Fantastic coffee within a stones throw from my front door
It feels safe
We get a kick ass breeze running right through our house even on the hottest of days

Old 03-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah, I did have the desert/dessert thought, but ....

Thanks!
Clearly I don't know how to spell
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Haha, those things scare me

But I do love having all kinds of wild animals-coyotes, foxes, eagles, deer, wild turkeys..as long as I stay at a safe distance. The park I live near has even had black bears, but I've never seen one. We've also had an occasional mountain lion in the area but I've never seen one of those either.

We have bears around and everyone in the world but me has seen one wild. Haven't seen a coyote either. But possum (opossum for the purists), badgers, the very occasional eagle and I am awed by the hawks. (I like crows too)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #50
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:45 AM
I love where I live because there's only about 1,000 people here. We've got lots of horses, cows, deer, 2 camels, some llama, more wildlife than you overseas folk probably want to know about, 1 roundabout, no traffic lights, 3 pubs (yes, the pub : people ratio really is that bad) and the beloved river. It's peaceful and beautiful. We're close enough to a big town/small city to not feel like we're isolated, and civilisation is on average a 30 min car trip. I've thought about starting a picture thread on where we all live for ages. Photos we've all taken, not website stuff. I like a good stickybeak.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 PM
I didn't realise you were so far out of Sydney.

I like the pub and restaurant culture, the nearby long beaches that are never crowded, the close proximity to urban and suburban shopping centres, the palette of colours the sky brings out at sunset, the hills, the way the moon hovers over the hills and the city at dusk, driving across the whole city at night, staring absent mindedly at the Rundle Lantern while waiting to cross Pulteney Street, buying a bunch of fresh produce from the Central Market and then leaving most of it to rot in the fridge, going to a game at AAMI Stadium and seeing us beat the home side...

... though I still want to move.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Also cool - occasional whale sightings (if you're lucky enough):

PHOTOS: Gray whale spotted at mouth of Duwamish River
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #53
War Child

A few more good things:

- One of the best coffeehouses is right down the street, so I can walk to it.
- There's a nice church I go to that's within walking distance, too. So all I have to do is walk to church every Sunday morning.
- There's a CVS, and a regular grocery store, right down the street.
- There's a public library right down the street (which is great, because I read a lot and have easy access to thousands of books, cds, and DVDs.)
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #54
Babyface

Local Time: 08:45 AM
I'm about 2.5 hours from Philadelphia, and 2.5 hours away from NYC, meaning I can pretty much see whatever tour I wish to. Going to NYC just for the sake of it is a common occurence for myself.

We actually have a locally owned record-store chain around here (that I frequent as much as possible).

Two smaller-sized cities (Wilkes-Barre and Scranton) nearby, along with all of the shopping districts and eateries that go along with them. We even have an arena...but the last concert I saw there was in 2001...

EDIT: 'BonosSaint', are we in the same area?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
I love where I live because there's only about 1,000 people here. We've got lots of horses, cows, deer, 2 camels, some llama, more wildlife than you overseas folk probably want to know about, 1 roundabout, no traffic lights, 3 pubs (yes, the pub : people ratio really is that bad) and the beloved river. It's peaceful and beautiful. We're close enough to a big town/small city to not feel like we're isolated, and civilisation is on average a 30 min car trip. I've thought about starting a picture thread on where we all live for ages. Photos we've all taken, not website stuff. I like a good stickybeak.

I want to live there. Camels?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabguy View Post

EDIT: 'BonosSaint', are we in the same area?

We are. Gallery of Sound? Was there today.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Now that I think about it, not that much.
It's just a quiet little town where nothing happens. I'd say my friends who live here and my house.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Very much.

Enjoying the benefits of urban life, still having parks very close and being able to visit the city's "green belt" in only about half an hour. Having a lot of traditional coffee houses and pubs/restaurants nearby, many of them with gardens where you can enjoy food and drinks in summer. Living very close to the city center, being able to walk to the center and to work. Museums, theatres, concert halls, a great public transport system. I grew up in the countryside, but I never liked it there, I enjoy living in the city so much more, even though I also like the city's green surroundings and parks.

What I don't like: People here tend to be grumpy, negative, pessimistic and complain much. There's something totally whiney about people here that I haven't seen with anyone else in any other city. It's just a part of people I don't like, but I guess it's the mentality.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #59
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
The beach is just 10 minutes away, if you go by car. Not that I go there all that often, but in summer it's just nice to know that it's always there close by if you feel like it. Also, the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island are always there if we want to go body surfing.

Not too far away from the CBD, and living within a walking distance to a train station and a big shopping centre with the cinemas is quite handy.

The weather - yes I complain about the "bloody Melbourne weather" all the time, but I think I rather like having unpredictable temperatures from day to day.

Cafes and restaurants galore - I think we're really spoiled for choice when it comes to food and different cuisines. Also, theatres and live music.

Trams - I don't even use them all that much but I think they're adorable.

Lots of beautiful spots around in the countryside.
what suburb do you live in?

personally i absolutely love our weather. it's been immortalised in song, it's completely unpredictable (though it ruined Pyramid Rock) and it's better than Queensland, where the weather is either hot, fucking hot, stinking hot or cyclonic.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #60
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I want to live there. Camels?
Indeedly so, and you should definitely live here. It's horse country! My daughter used to go to an after-school care that ran from the property with the camels. She'd get picked up by the owner in her Mercedes and then play with camels. It's awesome!

There's also a guy who owns a lot of land around here who runs a retirement home for old circus animals. He apparently has lions and stuff. Í've never seen then though, but some neighbours say they've heard a wild cat in the reserve that either belongs to him or has escaped. I can't remember what type they say it is. I tend to think they may be imagining it? It'd be awesome if it were true though.