We're Going to Ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to book through a travel agent, so maybe they could find me a hotel. I'm going to write some names down and see what they come up with. I called them today and told them as soon as I get an announcement I'll be there.

Karen, we are paying $2550. That includes transportation from here to Chicago, airfare from Chicago to Shannon, the motor coach/driver in Ireland. We go to Galway, Killarney (I think . . .), Kinsale, then Dublin, two nights lodging in four-star hotels in each city. Not sure about Galway and Killarney--I'll have to check the itinerary at work tomorrow. Full breakfast each day, two lunches, flight from Dublin back to Chicago, motor coach home from Chicago. I know there are stops at the Cliffs of Moher and the Rock of Cashel, but can't remember what else. :reject:

That's a good deal. The best part about one of those tours is that they deal with your baggage and transfers and the coaches are very nice and comfy. The drivers are usually very nice....tip them and be very friendly and you'll get even better service and attention from them!

The tour we were on, Go Ahead Tours, was 21 days and included flight from San Diego to Shannon plus all accomodations, breakfast every day (hearty at that!), all but 4 dinners, entrance fee to the included sites, the private coach, airport transfers, baggage handling, the ferry from Dublin to Wales, airfare from Edinburgh Scotland to London, our tour director and local tour guides.....that was around $4k including trip insurance and a few extra excursions we included--day trip to Bath and Stonehenge, day trip to Isle of Skye (which ended up being cancelled boo hoo). We were in Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England. It was the trip of a lifetime!

One big tip.....check with the tour and airlines especially about weight and size restrictions on luggage. Allow for anything you will buy and bring back. It's sooo much easier to use one piece of checked baggage & one carry on bag per person (the weight limitations are different for Int'l than for domestic) I believe we were restricted...and I mean they were enforcing this STRICTLY!! 45lbs for checked baggage and that includes the weight of your suitcase as well. I had to pay $50 from SD to Ireland. I bought a 2nd wheeled bag in Dublin so from that point to the end of our trip I had 2 bags I split my stuff into. I also brought a neat expandable bag for my carry on on the way home because I bought a bunch of stuff at the end of our trip at the Duty Free shops at Heathrow.

So be REAL careful what clothing you bring and do not over pack. My girlfriend and I did hand laundry in the hotel at night..socks, bras and underpants. We bought the microfiber stuff that washes easily and dries real quick. Most of the B&Bs and hotels have those nice toasty warm heated towel warmers that also double as clothes dryers!!

I have other tips so maybe PM me and I'd be happy to share!

Thanks for the info, Karen. What is a good tip for a driver?

Our itinerary includes Cong, Connemera, the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch, ferry across the Shannon River, Dingle Peninsula, Blarney Castle, Blarney Woolen Mill, Cobh, Middleton, Jameson Whiskey Distiller for a tour and lunch, then on to the Rock of Cashel on the way to Dublin.

I'm so excited! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom