volunteering in an orphanage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
In January i'm leaving to Nepal for 4 months to offer my services to an orphanage there...i've never done anything like it and i'm excited/nervous/scared about the experience. Has anyone ever done this in another country? Can you tell me what it was like?

In January i'm leaving to Nepal for 4 months to offer my services to an orphanage there...i've never done anything like it and i'm excited/nervous/scared about the experience. Has anyone ever done this in another country? Can you tell me what it was like?

Wow - that's awesome! I've volunteered at orphanages in Russia and South Africa. It can be incredibly heartbreaking, especially at some of the poorer places that don't have any money. They were some of the best experiences I've ever had, though! The kids we met in both countries were so beautiful, and most of them were so happy, despite the tough circumstances they lived in.

One in particular we visited in Russia was for AIDS orphans, and the conditions were pretty bleak there. The nurses wore masks all the time, and never held the babies, so they had never seen a person smile before, and they had not been held much. It was so hard to leave the kids we met there, as we all got so attached to them. :love: I wanted to adopt one of the baby boys that I was with the entire time, but I was too young and of course didn't have the means to care for another person, let alone myself at that point.

It's not always hard. We had a lot of fun playing games with the kids, teaching them English, learning their languages, etc. I think the good times far outweighed the hard parts. I hope you have an amazing time! Take lots of pictures. :)

Thanks for the input Thora...i'm excited about it, i'm only nervous about all the immunizations I have to get...6 different needles! So i'm going to be in the orphanage for 4 months and then doing a 2 week trek to the Mount Everest base camp.

That's fascinating.

I haven't volunteered in a foreign country yet, but my wife and I talk about it a lot. Please be sure to post your experiences here.

As far as vaccinations go, don't worry too much about them. The only one I didn't care for was the Typhoid doses. They make you queasy for a week. Are you getting a Rabies vaccination? I don't know if that is a problem in Nepal or not. I didn't plan far enough ahead to get mine for Mongolia. I would have felt more comfortable if I had. It's one of the few diseases that if you don't get treatment within a day or two, it WILL kill you.

Mark

they told me I need rabies if i'm going to be working in rural areas but I believed i'm going to be placed in urban Kathmandu

Back
Top Bottom