Virgin Atlantic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I chose Virgin Atlantic for my trip to LA. British Airways never appealed to me...:shrug:

BA is pretty good.

to be honest, knock on wood, i've never really had bad experiences with any airlines.

my dream is to fly emirates first class one day.

Mrs. Edge from SFO to IAD...ask her...also dsmith (devlin) from LAX to JFK...

That's Virgin American.

I have not flown Virgin Atlantic (or Virgin American or Virgin Blue), but it is one of the airlines I would like to fly.

Coach on ANY airline is going to be somewhere in between painful and tolerable, but rarely "comfortable." Virgin has a few different classes of service and has a certain hip factor that may make a long trip a bit more tolerable.

Knowing where you are flying out of and your direct options, I would say Virgin might be a better choice on the long haul despite the frequent flier points you may lose out on.

Just my opinion though. :)

have you had the chance? ever been in your own "cabin"?

that looks pretty rock star.

I haven't had the opportunity. I haven't even been on my own airline in first class overseas yet (not that I have attempted).

Emirates is the current "Gold Standard." I found out yesterday one of my employees is going to work for them. They put you up in Dubai tax free.

I flew Delta to Milan and my seat was right in front of the exit row, which meant my seat would not recline back. This meant me and the guy I was seated next to were forced to get to know each other very well, thankfully he was nice. It was so uncomfortable and irritating to watch everyone around us laid out snoring, while we were packed in like sardines. Never again.

I saw on the Virgin Atlantic website the levels of seats and even if I am seated in the lowest of the coach, I think I will be more comfortable than the crap seat I had on Delta. BA flies direct out of Atlanta, where Virgin does not. If the BA flights are cheaper, I will chose them, but I really want to fly on Virgin.

Doesn't Singapore Airlines have the same luxury cabins for the first class as Emirates?

I flew Delta to Milan and my seat was right in front of the exit row, which meant my seat would not recline back. This meant me and the guy I was seated next to were forced to get to know each other very well, thankfully he was nice. It was so uncomfortable and irritating to watch everyone around us laid out snoring, while we were packed in like sardines. Never again.

I saw on the Virgin Atlantic website the levels of seats and even if I am seated in the lowest of the coach, I think I will be more comfortable than the crap seat I had on Delta. BA flies direct out of Atlanta, where Virgin does not. If the BA flights are cheaper, I will chose them, but I really want to fly on Virgin.

Doesn't Singapore Airlines have the same luxury cabins for the first class as Emirates?

Singapore and Emirates are fairly similar.

I flew Delta from Maui to Atlanta two weeks ago. This was really my first time flying them. My seat reclined and it was not very comfortable. Their seats (at least in the 767s) recline different than I am used to.

With that being said, I CANNOT sleep on a plane anyway.

You should try Virgin! Is it direct from ATL?

I've flown Virgin Atlantic and Virgin American. I was really impressed with both. The service is great, the seats comfortable (although I am only 5'2 so don't need that much leg room) and I liked all the entertainment options. My only tiny complaint was they serve Virgin soft drinks :yuck:

Aer Lingus was also great and sometimes has fab deals from New York and Boston to Shannon, Dublin and London (like $100 each way).

My advice is to judge the aircraft and not the airline companies. Most of the big airline have a wide range of fleet with oldest and newest aircraft.

I'd recommend you get a few alternative flights and find out which aircraft are being used. There are then loads of comparison sites that show configurations, legroom, best seats etc.

Beware of codeshares though.

Most seat pitches (space between your seat and the one in front of you) and width in coach are about the same (they vary an inch here or there). The Virgin coach seat (according to seat guru) 32 inch pitch and 17.5 width. The plane MVD75 would take directly to London from her hometown on Delta has a pitch of 31-33 inches and 17-18 inch width (depending on the seat). So, about the same.

I think the Delta seats lack cushion (supposed leather). Virgin has cloth seatbacks.

It seems as if Virgin also gives you an "amenity kit" in coach (Eyeshades, toothbrush and toothpaste).

DON'T DRINK THE WATER COMING OUT OF THE SINK IN THE LAVATORY.

Aer Lingus was also great and sometimes has fab deals from New York and Boston to Shannon, Dublin and London (like $100 each way).

I have flown on Aer Lingus and enjoyed my flight. That is also another option I should consider.

The seat space on the 767 in front of the exit row is tight. That is all I know. Never again. However with that said, if Delta has a better deal, I will fly Delta and avoid that seat. I will either be returning from either Paris or Manchester.

Ive flown into salt lake and Atlanta quite a number if times. Delta operate hubs at both so i'm quite familar with delta. Generally they are good. But do your homework.

Pfft.

Don't blame the hubs and connections, blame the city you choose to live in! :D

IF you live in a hub city (or a MAJOR metro), you don't have to worry about connections. :up:

there isn't an airline on earth who believe it is possible to fly from auckland to memphis on the same itinerary. and hey, i live in the major city in my country!

here's what the next two days have in store for me:

akl-lax on air new zealand
the next day:
lax-slc on delta
nearly four hours to wait:
slc-mem on compass.

all because nwa.com wasn't interested in getting the reservation system to work for me so i could get the non-stop la - memphis flight. and it's not like i can say "screw northwest, i'm flying delta!" because the money goes to the same place now.

still, it's totally worth it.

and it's not like i can say "screw northwest, i'm flying delta!" because the money goes to the same place now.

Oh how I know (personally and professionally) :(

My Maui trip was booked on NWA Worldvacations, and I ended up flying Delta both ways. I would have LOVED to see Salt Lake City. Too bad they failed us in Indianapolis. We got to see Cincy, LAX (twice) and Atlanta. :doh:

Have you been to LAX before? PM me. I have a suggestion for you.

Oh how I know (personally and professionally) :(

My Maui trip was booked on NWA Worldvacations, and I ended up flying Delta both ways. I would have LOVED to see Salt Lake City. Too bad they failed us in Indianapolis. We got to see Cincy, LAX (twice) and Atlanta. :doh:

Have you been to LAX before? PM me. I have a suggestion for you.

i'm not loving a four hour connection in salt lake city, i'd rather go right to memphis, but there should be some nice scenery on the way in and out. plus, the highest i've been above sea level without being on a plane, so that should be a laugh.

i get to see atlanta for 95 minutes on my way back, woooo

last time i was in lax was 10 years ago, so i'll pm you.

FWIW Ian, if your layover happens to be during daylight hours, the SLC airport, while small and no-frills, does at least offer fantastic panoramic views of Salt Lake City with the mountains in the background. I was there at sunset the one time I went through--just gorgeous.

FWIW Ian, if your layover happens to be during daylight hours, the SLC airport, while small and no-frills, does at least offer fantastic panoramic views of Salt Lake City with the mountains in the background. I was there at sunset the one time I went through--just gorgeous.

thanks yolland. it happens that is when i'm there. i'll make a point of finding my next gate and then go do some exploring.

here's hoping i have enough sd cards for the ridic number of photos i'm expecting to take, before i even get the the final destination.

Back
Top Bottom