Undergraduate Research: Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyNumber7

Blue Crack Addict
Hi everyone,

I'm conducting some undergraduate research investigating the relationship between media sensationalism and the public delivery and understanding of science.

I have constructed a survey to help aid in this research, and I was hoping to reach as large and diverse of an audience as possible. If you could please take some time to complete this, I would greatly appreciate it. On 77 respondents to this point, the average time to complete the survey has been 13 minutes. It is live at the following link:

Influence of the Media on Science | QuestionPro Survey

Thanks!

Chris

Wow. I did the survey earlier and I just realized that I am 100 percent apathetic towards science and world events. It took me ten minutes to finish the survey.

Thank you, and thank you everyone for your participation! I received a significant spike in respondent count from Interference, thank you all! Getting people to take surveys is (not surprisingly) difficult.

I look forward to seeing the results when I get enough participation for statistical significance, and I would be happy to share them here!

Music may indeed be my religion . . . either that, or the forests. :wave:

:up:

We're preaching from the same root system... ;) And I'm resisting the temptation to digress into a forest photo thread.

I'll bring it back to research! "The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness." -- John Muir

Thanks all.

This data is messssy. Took one stab at it, conclusive in my initial stratification but some strata were statistically insignificant.

Took another crack at restratification -- inconclusive results.

Took yet another crack at it, and finally I'm on to something.

Well so I had a wild night last night. I sat down with my data and wrote 64 pages on a 24 hour marathon. No sleep, no food, just one cup of coffee.

Sadly, I didn't get what I was looking for. Got a null. However, I did get a side result. It's an obvious one, but even providing statistical evidence for obvious claims is a nice feat.

The obvious was... individuals who hold pseudoscientific beliefs are more likely to
1) be less exposed to scientific media
2) keep up to date with science news less frequently
3) view science as less important in their lives

The demographic was undergraduate students age 18-24.

There was actually a really big relationship between hours devoted to religious activity and number of pseudoscientific beliefs as well. A little surprising, not entirely. But my sense is it's not actually religious, it's probably political.

Another surprise was that there really wasn't any educational discipline among the individuals with pseudoscientific beliefs. In fact, given that my survey was pretty physics-population biased, I was quite shocked that they didn't find their way out of the mix. Learn something new every day though!

Back
Top Bottom