Two travel questions: Chicago and Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NSW can give you a little more insight on SEPTA since he's been to Philly as a traveler, but I have not had many problems in my experiences with SEPTA. I do hear quite a bit of bitching about it, but I think that comes with any public transportation. The subways seem to be pretty reliable and cover a good amount of area.

1. If we wanted to drive from Chicago to Central Indiana on January first, will it snow like a bastard? Or do we have a decent shot at making it?

I'm in central Ohio and generally we don't get much snow until into mid January and February. Central Indiana should be fairly similar, but I'm not sure about Chicago. Perhaps someone from the Chicago arae could let you know usual early January conditions there.

I've spent many a winter holiday in East Chicago and Gary, IN. We got assloads of snow there :| Yet, my family drove each time, so it's still driveable. But, that's further north than where you're going. When choosing a route, perhaps you can choose one that takes you immediately south and away from the lake.

1. Wouldn't be surprised but it has never stopped us from traveling to or past Chicagoland for the holidays (and we come from west Michigan so we are screwed the moment we step out the door). Just don't be surprised if it adds and hour or so to your trip (in addition to whatever time should be added for traffic).

Strangely I was in Philly this weekend. I drove around a lot. Which was a nightmare. But the busses are pretty fantastic. :up:

Stay away from the subway though.

1. If we wanted to drive from Chicago to Central Indiana on January first, will it snow like a bastard? Or do we have a decent shot at making it?

You'll be able to make it, but it'll probably be colder than a polar bear's toenails in the car.

Well, the Chicago plans are over. That was only a remote possibility anyway. But Philly's still on the table.

Glad a Bloomington New Years is not in your future.

Now, a question for YOU. What are you hoping to do in Philly with public transit?

Most of the attractions are within the downtown area and are almost walkable. You would end up going one or two blocks here and there on the bus to get around.

The trolley is interesting - but serves neighborhoods. I have used the bus and trains/subways to get a few places - but have not used the subway extensively.

Oh no, we're still going to Bloomington in January. Grandma's only turning 100 once. I just wanted to go to the Black Keys' New Year's Eve concert in Chicago first.

Steve wants to go to Philly to see the Duchamp exhibit at the Art Museum in November, and I think I found him an inexpensive hotel. I needed to know if he'll be able to get around easily without a car.

Yeah, Martha, if you'd've been driving through NW Indiana in January, that's a really big chance there.

Oh no, we're still going to Bloomington in January. Grandma's only turning 100 once. I just wanted to go to the Black Keys' New Year's Eve concert in Chicago first.

Steve wants to go to Philly to see the Duchamp exhibit at the Art Museum in November, and I think I found him an inexpensive hotel. I needed to know if he'll be able to get around easily without a car.

Never have had a problem getting around without a car, the public transport is good - subway, bus, trolley, whatever. If you're staying in Center City (which it sounds like) you wouldn't want to drive around anyway.

Philadelphia Center City subway map

http://www.septa.org/maps/center_city_map.pdf

Subway Map

SEPTA

I spend a lot of time in Philadelphia and never have a car there. Both the subways and buses are easy enough, although occasionally annoying when you have to switch. Other than the occasional stupid mistake on my part, I've never had a problem.

This post was gold Jerry gold. :love:

Thanks for the advice and all, everyone. Steve's headed to Philly in a week or so, and I think he'll be able to get around just fine thanks to my fine Feedbackians. :hug:

Oh shit. I just realized that Steve will be in Philadelphia during the World Series. I'm going to have to give him a crash course in baseball language. He does know that there are nine innings.

The world series may not be in Philly though. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom