Travelling to Europe alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nightlife is good in Berlin and in London as well. You'll have a blast in the southern Mediterranean - Barcelona is a big one, Ibiza, and I know people who have had great fun in the south of France and in Portugal as well. January is not the best time to go to Europe, weather-wise, though, so dress warmly.

I have been to Paris twice and I think it's beautiful with great food and great sites, but it's also a bit big, overrun with tourists and slightly impersonal. You have to see it, but it's also the sort of place where you want to go to museums and galleries. I personally loved London every time I went there, it's a very cool blend of continental Europe and North America in some ways and I'd very much recommend it.

There aren't many places that you can go wrong. Honestly the only country in Europe that I expected to like a lot better than I did was the Netherlands, but that was because I went at the end of January and I swear they have the worst imaginable weather and I say that as a Canadian.

London. and the London Walks programs are fantastic for getting out and about with groups of people, some locals and mostly tourists. They even have a few pub walks at night which is a great way to spend your evenings with other people out and about.

have fun :)

Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Florence, Berlin... Been to all those cities and most of them are really great, others only just the cities 'you have to have seen at least once in your life' :) But, it's really a personal choice. Some people prefer one city over another, or visit some big, famous city and then don't like it as much as some other cities.

Have you requested some brochures of the main cities yet? You can do that online and usually it's for free - sometimes they only charge a small amount for shipping fees.

The nightlife in Berlin is fantastic, but you do really need to get in with a local (my sister lives there) as most of the good stuff is not at all obvious, or overt. It's not really secret or underground, not in any wannabe/too cool way, its just a more casual/pop-up/temporary scene e.g. That shop is going to be vacant for the next month? Okay, let's set up a bar in it's backyard and put a DJ and dancefloor in it's basement. If you just wander around you'll find great established bars, pubs, clubs etc, but that sort of temporary pop-up thing is everywhere, and makes a night out feel like a bit of an adventure.

Also, we should definitely have some kind of ongoing travel thread where we are just continually dumping questions or tips or recommendations.

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for all your responses and help. I agree with some of you that Europe is simply too cold in January, so I decided to change my destination. After doing research, I'm really leaning towards going to Brazil, particularly Rio de Janeiro, in January. Rio has a great nightlife and its a good way to meet people (not to mention, beautiful women). Is anybody here from Brazil or ever been there? I'd love to hear your opinions about it. :)

Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Florence, Berlin... Been to all those cities and most of them are really great, others only just the cities 'you have to have seen at least once in your life' :) But, it's really a personal choice. Some people prefer one city over another, or visit some big, famous city and then don't like it as much as some other cities.

Have you requested some brochures of the main cities yet? You can do that online and usually it's for free - sometimes they only charge a small amount for shipping fees.

Yes I have surfed online for tourist information, and you're right, most of them seem great, which is why its so hard to choose. But you can't go wrong it seems like. :)

The nightlife in Berlin is fantastic, but you do really need to get in with a local (my sister lives there) as most of the good stuff is not at all obvious, or overt. It's not really secret or underground, not in any wannabe/too cool way, its just a more casual/pop-up/temporary scene e.g. That shop is going to be vacant for the next month? Okay, let's set up a bar in it's backyard and put a DJ and dancefloor in it's basement. If you just wander around you'll find great established bars, pubs, clubs etc, but that sort of temporary pop-up thing is everywhere, and makes a night out feel like a bit of an adventure.

Yeah I'll definitely have to do Berlin perhaps next summer. :)

Madrid -> Sevilla -> Cadiz -> Gibraltar -> Malaga -> Valencia -> Barcelona -> Marseilles -> Nice, Cannes -> Genova -> Milan -> Verona -> Venice -> Vienna -> Prague -> Dresden -> Berlin -> Hamburg -> Copenhagen -> Amsterdam -> Brussels -> Paris -> London -> Southampton -> Bristol -> Dublin

would be a decent tour.

What a trip that would be! :hyper: Too bad I don't have money.

save some and then get your ass over here :D

as for the time, you can always split it into 2 trips: one from Madrid to Berlin, the other one from Berlin to Dublin, hehe

Back
Top Bottom