Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
If you wanna go to Eastern Europe, here's something interesting from Lonely Planet.

Top 10 Eastern European getaways - travel tips and articles - Lonely Planet
Speaking of lonely planet there's a Lonely Plant Thorn Tree site where you can ask questions and read about other people's experiences.

Thorn Tree travel forum - Lonely Planet

You can select individual countries to read more specifically.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:30 AM
I third the Berlin recommendation. Vienna & Lisbon are probably my other two favourite cities in Europe that I have visited.

Would you consider extending the trip to 3/4 weeks, if so, I would suggest inter-railing.

I wouldn't have any worries about travelling alone, plenty of people do it.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:30 AM
I've traveled alone through Europe a few times and never had any issues.

I don't have a lot of advice beyond what's been posted already, so this post is largely useless.

I will just say that of all the place I've visited, Vienna was the one that I liked best. Just a wonderful experience.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Vienna is on my list of places to visit before I die.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 PM
I think I'll get to visit Vienna at around New Year's -- I'm very excited.

I love Budapest -- the Paris of the East, they say.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

It couldn't hurt to let Liam Neeson where you're going to be at all times, especially if you're following U2 around. You know, in case you get kidnapped:

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Speaking of lonely planet there's a Lonely Plant Thorn Tree site where you can ask questions and read about other people's experiences.

Thorn Tree travel forum - Lonely Planet

You can select individual countries to read more specifically.
Ooh, cheers for that.

(I read that as "Thom's Tree travel forum" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleVertigo View Post
I think I'll get to visit Vienna at around New Year's -- I'm very excited.

I love Budapest -- the Paris of the East, they say.
I thought that was Bucharest in Romania?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 PM
It looks like both Budapest and Bucharest lay claim to that title.

Paris of the East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Ha! I was (half) right!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post

As a Berliner I could also recommend you my town. Most of the people that've visited told me it has been the greatest city they've been to so far.
That's because they haven't been to Vienna

Seriously, I second that. I love Berlin so much, I go there a lot and I always discover new things. I have seen many European cities, but Berlin certainly stands out. My other favourite European cities are Prague and Barcelona.

Vienna is my hometown, but I still love to see it with a visitor's eyes.

Berlin is also cheap compared to other cities, it's definitely cheaper than Vienna.

It's hard to make a decision here. I love arts, culture, architecture, it's the main reason for me to travel, so many European cities and countries are very attractive in my eyes.

Have a great time
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 05:30 AM
When you're in Europe, what do you want to do? See museums? A culinary trip (if so, what kind of food do you like)? Hiking? Going to beaches? Nightlife?

There's a lot to do, so giving people a sense of your interests and what you would like to do would help better narrow down the options. In short, though, you cannot really go wrong with your decision. Every city, town, and village is unique.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_C View Post
When you're in Europe, what do you want to do? See museums? A culinary trip (if so, what kind of food do you like)? Hiking? Going to beaches? Nightlife?

There's a lot to do, so giving people a sense of your interests and what you would like to do would help better narrow down the options. In short, though, you cannot really go wrong with your decision. Every city, town, and village is unique.
Good question. I'm not too interested in museums/historical things as I have seen a lot of that before. I'd rather do something where I can meet a lot of people - so Nightlife definitely. I really like this Couch Surfing idea that others mentioned in this thread and I even created an account with the site.

You're right, I probably really can't go wrong with anything. But in order to help narrow down, I found out that I will be taking this trip in January, right after new years, for 2 weeks.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for all your responses. I'm surprised and happy to see that so many of you are suggesting the same cities - Berlin and Vienna, because it really helps me narrow down my choices. But what is it about them that is so much better then the other big cities, such as Paris and London?

As I wrote in my previous post, I'll be making the trip in early January for two weeks. I think Berlin may not be enough for two whole weeks, so I'm thinking of going to one or two other nearby cities as well. Would Munich be a good addition for my goals on the trip? Does anyone have any other suggestions to add along with Berlin?

Thanks especially to Vincent Vega for suggesting Couch Surfing, it seems awesome, I'm definitely going to be doing that.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
She's the One

You may not have a butt when you get back. It may freeze off, but the Europeans can speak more to that than I can.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung11 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all your responses. I'm surprised and happy to see that so many of you are suggesting the same cities - Berlin and Vienna, because it really helps me narrow down my choices. But what is it about them that is so much better then the other big cities, such as Paris and London?

As I wrote in my previous post, I'll be making the trip in early January for two weeks. I think Berlin may not be enough for two whole weeks, so I'm thinking of going to one or two other nearby cities as well. Would Munich be a good addition for my goals on the trip? Does anyone have any other suggestions to add along with Berlin?

Thanks especially to Vincent Vega for suggesting Couch Surfing, it seems awesome, I'm definitely going to be doing that.
No worries, you are very welcome.

Berlin in January usually is pretty cold, especially with the wind from the east. But I think we've seen the worst this January, so the next one should be milder.
Since you mentioned you wanted to do nightlife rather than historical stuff I'd say Munich isn't really the place to go. It's also a big city and certainly has its places for nightlife, but it's way different than Berlin would be. People from Munich usually say it's more of a town than a big city.
If you book early, you might be able to get a cheap flight to a place abroad, maybe more south again. E.g. Barcelona. Nightlife there is also very famous, and you could regain some body heat. With the added bonus of seeing another country for some time.
If you look for something closer, I'd prefer Hamburg over Munich.

I don't have the answer to the question why people seem more amazed with Berlin or Vienna than they are with London, Paris or other places. Maybe it's a thing of expectations and people just have heard so much about Paris or London that it will always be a letdown when being there for real (similar to this Paris-disease some Japanese tourists apparently suffer from). Or those cities have lost some of their authenticity. But I haven't been to either one, so I can't say.