This will make you rethink facebook a little bit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me it boiled down to a "why am I checking this shit five times a day when I don't even like it?" kind of thing. Anyone I want to keep in touch with is a phone call or text away, and I'm sick and tired of seeing engagement announcements, ultrasound photos, and general nincompoopery from idiots I went to high school with. I hate to use a stereotypical complaint, but the thing was better when it was just for college. But that's not how Marky Zuckz makes his billions.

Obviously this is no slight against anyone who uses (and enjoys) Facebook. Just a personal preference. I still remain obsessed with Twitter, for what it's worth. There is just so much more interesting content on there.

The writer's reasoning (and the reasoning of some others) is something like you deciding not to have a beer with dinner occasionally because of the alcoholic next door.

I agree. I mean, to each his own, but I always say if you have to make a point to avoid something so much and it's such a big deal to you, then it's controlling you as much as someone who's addicted.
Everything in moderation, including moderation

I also got that NSW email, and I'm a little perturbed that you all know one of my email accounts now. Fuck off.

I still have Facebook. I stopped posting status updates pretty much entirely once I got fully enveloped in Twitter. I mostly use Facebook for its messaging feature (which I use frequently) and to keep tabs on what potentially career ruining photos of me are floating around online.

With Twitter, I'm still trying to balance using it for my line of work and using it as an outlet for detached, humorous commentary on what's going on. My general rule of thumb is to only say something if I think it's funny or if I think it's important. I find the latter harder to control than the former. The medium is heavily influenced by what you're reading. Who you follow shapes what news you're reading, and what you're tempted to post. The last two months have been particularly trying since I was just overrun with stuff about the scandal here. People following me who weren't from Penn State probably thought I was overposting about it, but I was trying my hardest to say as little as possible, and I was if you compared it to what I was reading.

It's still a very strange but often rewarding tool.

What's your username on twitter? I'll follow you. Twitter frustrates me. I like it, and I'm balancing journalism stuff with social, funny commentary and interactions with friends who have it, but I can't help but escape the feeling it's utterly futile and pointless. Me using it, that is. I only have 50 followers and most of them are probably people from overseas I don't care about and who are not of use to me.

Facebook has been a real life-line for me, keeping in touch day-to-day with friends and family far away... it's been brilliant for that... but i also make sure my privacy settings are solid... and my friends list is strictly limited to er friends lol

I also have become more involved on Twitter quite a bit recently. Like Imps, I find the content more interesting, and I use it in a professional capacity as well. My tweets are mostly music and sports related, along with work related stuff. I also sync my tweets with Facebook at times, in order to initiate discussion.

My Facebook posts consist of articles and items I find interesting in the hopes that it will spark interest and debate and discussion. It doesn't always work.

And I've blocked many people from my news feed for their mundane, boring status updates that I don't care for. And if you use bad enough grammar that it makes me want to reach through the screen and knock some sense into you, then you're blocked as well. :wink:

And I've blocked many people from my news feed for their mundane, boring status updates that I don't care for. And if you use bad enough grammar that it makes me want to reach through the screen and knock some sense into you, then you're blocked as well. :wink:

Oh, man, my block list is HUGE. There are certain people whose statuses just make me angry because of how stupid they are.
Then when facebook did the big update a couple months back, those people started showing up in my newsfeed again :madwife:

why have them as your facebook friends then?? why not just stick to people you care about??

Like many people, I feel a social obligation. And I've seen things as inconsequential as unfriending someone turn into a big overblow ordeal.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that my mother spends hours upon hours a day on it to the detriment of our family, which certainly contributed to my psuedo-boycott.

Oh, man, my block list is HUGE. There are certain people whose statuses just make me angry because of how stupid they are.
Then when facebook did the big update a couple months back, those people started showing up in my newsfeed again :madwife:

If you're blocking them, why are you friends with them?

Sometimes hiding people from your feed is much easier than dealing with the fallout drama if you actually de-friend them.

The writer's reasoning (and the reasoning of some others) is something like you deciding not to have a beer with dinner occasionally because of the alcoholic next door.

And then discovering that you're actually a raging alcoholic, just like Ben Gibbard

For me it boiled down to a "why am I checking this shit five times a day when I don't even like it?" kind of thing. Anyone I want to keep in touch with is a phone call or text away, and I'm sick and tired of seeing engagement announcements, ultrasound photos, and general nincompoopery from idiots I went to high school with. I hate to use a stereotypical complaint, but the thing was better when it was just for college. But that's not how Marky Zuckz makes his billions.

Obviously this is no slight against anyone who uses (and enjoys) Facebook. Just a personal preference. I still remain obsessed with Twitter, for what it's worth. There is just so much more interesting content on there.

I guess maybe I just enjoyed my time in high school then, because even the people I didn't like all that much then, I still find it cool to see what they're up to in their lives today, even if I never comment on their statuses or anything.

I find Twitter to be a wasteland. I use it, and I follow celebs (because I don't think the site should be used for anything else), but it's not like they really add much of anything of substance to the world with it, save the random announcement now and again.

martha said:
If you're blocking them, why are you friends with them?

Because people get bent out of shape when you unfriend them. and some of them are alright in real life, they just don't know how to conduct themselves on Facebook

Sometimes hiding people from your feed is much easier than dealing with the fallout drama if you actually de-friend them.

Because people get bent out of shape when you unfriend them. and some of them are alright in real life, they just don't know how to conduct themselves on Facebook

Fair enough to both.

I find Twitter to be a wasteland. I use it, and I follow celebs (because I don't think the site should be used for anything else), but it's not like they really add much of anything of substance to the world with it, save the random announcement now and again.

I grudgingly got a Twitter account just to get information from local music venues. I don't "tweet" (MY GOD I hate that word in that context), but I've come close to ditching the whole damn thing because nearly the same information is on facebook and all the sex spam follower requests are ridiculous. It used to be that you could report those, but now there's no option to report them. Do people really have sex with whores who follow them on Twitter?

I just wish news agencies wouldn't use twitter for breaking events. It's irresponsible and bush league journalism

I think Twitter is important because it frequently helps celebrities expose themselves as the boneheads they truly are.

I read Twitter for a while - followed a few blogs, a few friends and Roger Ebert. Was seeing too much cross-posting between Twitter and Facebook and gradually just stopped visiting the site.

Every so often I get an email telling me about new followers, like @GeneralFurnitureStore.

And that's always very exciting, because it's nice to know that people are interested in the utter silence I've got going on in my Twitter.

I just wish news agencies wouldn't use twitter for breaking events. It's irresponsible and bush league journalism

Why? I literally came back from a meeting earlier and tweeted a breaking news event. Our job is to inform our readers on whatever platform is available, a service than many on Twitter find useful.

It's not our sole platform, but it's one of the most immediate, which makes it an exciting tool.

Why? I literally came back from a meeting earlier and tweeted a breaking news event. Our job is to inform our readers on whatever platform is available, a service than many on Twitter find useful.

It's not our sole platform, but it's one of the most immediate, which makes it an exciting tool.

Because it's unverified and bullshit gets passed around far too quickly. Journalists are supposed to report on news, not rumours

I agree, of course, but what's unverified about going to a city council meeting and tweeting the results of a highly contentious vote? I'm using that as an example, but I think you get the idea.

Oh, i mean getting the info from twitter. There have been a few instances where the news shows have gotten bogus info from twitter and reported it on the air. That's bushleague

Hmm? What do you mean by this? It's a pretty powerful tool in journalism and PR, it gives anyone around the world the ability to track big events such as natural disasters, and yesterday it saved someone's life:

Twitter rally saves teen's life | Adelaide Now

There is your problem right there. I use Twitter to stay up to date on breaking news and sports rumors, and it has been invaluable in keeping me in the know.

I used celebs as a large, large overarching header. I pretty much do the same, and then also get amused by the bonehead tweets that come from following actual celebrities.

But my friends and shit on Twitter and all these people wanting me to repost stuff? Worse, by a million miles, than Facebook.

Back
Top Bottom