Things to do/sites to see in greater San Francisco area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
My lady friend and I are trying to plan a trip out the area for a week this summer. We'll planning on spending a few days at Yosemite to do some hiking and tourist stuff, we'd also like to go through Big Sur, and visiting a friend in Fresno. Yes, it'll be a lot of driving, but we're up for it and we want to eat as much In 'N Out burger and drink as much Fat Tire as we can handle. :wink:

So I was just wondering what are some cool things to do between SF and Fresno or nice places to stay? Outside of the Valley Floor what are some other must sees in Yosemite? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would definitely try to tour Alcatraz (need to buy tickets in advance online), if that's something you think you might be interested in. :up:

Exquisite views from Glacier Point in Yosemite if you can make the twisty winding road :up: Just driving thru is beautiful You can stop almost anywhere and have a nice picnic, or if you are lucky enough to have a reservation to stay there it's an awesome breath of fresh air!

In SF defintely do the Alcatraz tour, visit Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, ride a cable car, go down Lombard Street (crookedest street in the world), cross the Golden Gate Bridge. There's tons of shops and places to eat in Sausalito on the other side of the GG bridge. Do some wine tasting if you are into that kind of thing...Napa/Sonoma's not too far north of SF or in San Jose is Paul Masson, and the Winchester Mystery House :lol: Catch a SF Giants or an Oakland A's baseball game.

If you have time make a trip to Santa Cruz to the Boardwalk and Monterey/Carmel....there's the 17 mile drive and some gorgeous scenery there. You can even cruise thru Gilroy, the garlic capitol of the world and Castroville, the artichoke capitol of the world.

Drive safely and have fun! Take lots of pictures!

If you like getting out in nature, check out Muir Woods - just a quick 10 minute drive north of the Golden Gate - and a beautiful and easy walk through a nice redwood forest.

I didn't like the Haight, either.

To me it was just a bunch of filthy hippies burning incense into perfectly good fresh air and selling organic soy patties and hemp tee shirts.

The Japanese Tea Garden was nice. Alcatraz was great.

I did love the Monterey Bay Aquarium, been there several times.

China Town
Twin Peaks
Castro
Angel Island
Treasure Island
Golden Gate Park
Ocean Beach
Stinson Beach (north of SF)
The Cliff House

So it appears that we'll be spending a couple of days in Santa Cruz for some chill time at the beach and exploring the coast before we hit the trails at Yosemite.

We'll probably visit the GG bridge while in SF and possbily Alcatraz - have to see what else time will allow. Thanks for the input!

Has anybody here hiked Half Dome? I know that it's epic/badass and was wondering how truly badass it is. I've done a fair amount of hiking here in New England (Mt. Washington, Franconia Ridge, etc) which come out to be about 6-8 hour hikes if you move pretty quickly. Is there any comparison at all?

glad I wandered into this thread. possibility that my husband and I are going to SF to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary in June, for about 3-4 days. I wasn't sure how much there would be to do/didn't know much else than the GG bridge and Alcatraz. :up:

Back
Top Bottom