SEPTA!
Space Moon!
Moon in space!
Knowing people!
KNIFE CRIME!
Juvenile puns!
Concern for Bono's safety!
Atlanta!

We've had a lot of fun here at Interference over the years.

But not anymore, really.

Since Bono needs to take a few years to let out/melt down his gold pants, it has been proposed that we need something to lift forum spirits. Nobody else could settle on one survivor and the suggestions were gradually becoming more unrealistic, so I settled on the third most absurd idea we came up with.

Here's the skinny:

You guys decide on 20 of your favorite Interference threads. Rank them and send them to me via PM. If you can't come up with 20, whatever. Just make sure they're ranked so I can assign points. It doesn't matter what forum the thread is from, really. This is taking place in one of the board's many wastelands specifically so we can use whatever we want (and, worse comes to worst, this thread won't drop off the front page until at least December). I would suggest that, if you want to represent a whole series of threads (such as Shuttlecock, the Superthread, etc.) you should probably pick the one that started it. Obviously, if there's a funnier spinoff, that's cool too.

Once I've gotten enough ballots, I'll make up a tournament-style bracket large enough to accommodate the threads we have a consensus on and we'll get this rolling.

Again, I really don't care what you guys pick. It could be a U2 Song Title thread.

But uh, please don't do that.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:45 AM
No matter what happens, Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein will be the winner for me.

I'd like to take this chance, however, to remind people of an old thread from 2004 that I fear may be forgotten in the submissions, but I think is an Interference classic: I'm Disappointed In Everything U2 Has Ever Done

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Wow, great call. I only vaguely remember skimming that.

This is why we need to have a discussion thread, because otherwise I'm gonna forget all kinds of quality candidates.

The HTDAAB leak thread got deleted I think, but that should be top 5. Funniest shit ever.

Now.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

It's the only Interference thread in my bookmarks (not that I bookmark much). I can find Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein and the tuf bono respect thread easily, and it's hard to reduce the Superthread or the Survivor that spawned it to an individual thread, but I knew saving the link to that one would come in handy some day.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
The Male

For the Superthread, you've got to go with that one Pop survivor thread, I would think.

But yeah, one of the big challenges of this survivor is going to be finding links, particularly for threads older than 2005. We'll manage.

Now.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Isn't the nostalgia more for memes than specific threads?

Anyway, the first 5 or so Shuttlecock threads (pre-Out Of Control banishment) are probably better than anything else on here, ever. And the Beatles Remaster threads were pretty tops for me.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
Isn't the nostalgia more for memes than specific threads?
No, there are some specific threads that deserve as much recognition as the memes, though they spawned none of their own. For pure entertainment value, the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein thread destroys the original IS BONO OK thread, though the latter spawned a classic meme.

By the time it's all said and done, the bracket will contain plenty of both.

Now.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
45:33

Post the threads in here, don't worry about PM'ing them. I'll come back to this but Pop survivor, the one Axver posted, Kunstmuseum, one of the threads explaining Fake Edge all come to mind.

I've missed out on a hell of a lot though.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Vocal parasite

Yeah, I think what we really need first is to brainstorm some of the classics - I certainly know I'm forgetting some favourites. I wonder if any Desert Island thread is worth nominating? It's been a positive B&C fixture but I'm not sure any single thread stands out. There were also some absolutely classic setlist parties during the second and third legs of the Vertigo Tour. And as much as we shit on FYM, there have definitely been some really interesting, constructive, and thought-provoking discussions in there over its history that probably deserve an honourable mention.

Though I know the top of my ballot will be:
1. Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein
2. tuf bono respect
3. The Pop Survivor thread (it was the first round, wasn't it?)
4. I'm Disappointed in Everything U2 Has Ever Done

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #10

I don't know if I could even do five without including stuff like the Morrissey thread and the Highest Grossing Tour thread. I know tuf bono is awesome but again I missed most of it and don't reeeeally get the jokes.

Someone should trawl through IO, there's been some rippers in there. I'd put IO: Bart Simpson up there. It's like the only pure thread on the forum.

There's even been some good zoo confesh threads!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
Vocal parasite

I admit, I've never really read IO (I probably have about two posts in there), so I've missed its classics.

I'll definitely be including the Morrissey and Highest Grossing Tour threads in my final list. What other mindbogglingly hilarious argument threads have we had? I feel like there are a whole bunch of worthy candidates just escaping my memory right now.

Oh, and tuf bono, I'm honestly not sure there's much more you need to get beyond the Ian McCulloch quotes in my sig and Bonnie being drunk.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #12
Vocal parasite

Oh! Somebody needs to dig up the best of jick. We cannot have this tournament happen without at least one jick thread.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #13

It would also be good for some of our elder statesmen (looking at you, u2popmofo) to see if they can't dig up some really old threads, like Atty Club era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'll definitely be including the Morrissey and Highest Grossing Tour threads in my final list. What other mindbogglingly hilarious argument threads have we had? I feel like there are a whole bunch of worthy candidates just escaping my memory right now.

Oh, and tuf bono, I'm honestly not sure there's much more you need to get beyond the Ian McCulloch quotes in my sig and Bonnie being drunk.
There's been a few that Zoomerang started that descended into fighting. I'm sure there's some great Garrison/Kieran threads in there as well. U2man. Zoots. Beav. Rating interference posters. I live under a bridge. Assigning superpowers to posters.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #14
The Male

If you guys think we can throw something together in here, it's a hell of a lot easier on me.

A few favorites offhand:

Business Trips ... Are They Legit When There's Closing Involved ??
kanye west opening for u2 .... why?
http://www.u2interference.com/forums...ds-192666.html
Ok, Rush vs U2 LIVE

Now.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #15

Hell yes to that Kanye thread.