The Interference Thread Survivor - Preliminary Nostalgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Retractable roofs!
SEPTA!
Space Moon!
Moon in space!
Knowing people!
KNIFE CRIME!
Juvenile puns!
Concern for Bono's safety!
Atlanta!

We've had a lot of fun here at Interference over the years.

But not anymore, really.

Since Bono needs to take a few years to let out/melt down his gold pants, it has been proposed that we need something to lift forum spirits. Nobody else could settle on one survivor and the suggestions were gradually becoming more unrealistic, so I settled on the third most absurd idea we came up with.

Here's the skinny:

You guys decide on 20 of your favorite Interference threads. Rank them and send them to me via PM. If you can't come up with 20, whatever. Just make sure they're ranked so I can assign points. It doesn't matter what forum the thread is from, really. This is taking place in one of the board's many wastelands specifically so we can use whatever we want (and, worse comes to worst, this thread won't drop off the front page until at least December). I would suggest that, if you want to represent a whole series of threads (such as Shuttlecock, the Superthread, etc.) you should probably pick the one that started it. Obviously, if there's a funnier spinoff, that's cool too.

Once I've gotten enough ballots, I'll make up a tournament-style bracket large enough to accommodate the threads we have a consensus on and we'll get this rolling.

Again, I really don't care what you guys pick. It could be a U2 Song Title thread.

But uh, please don't do that.

Wow, great call. I only vaguely remember skimming that.

This is why we need to have a discussion thread, because otherwise I'm gonna forget all kinds of quality candidates.

The HTDAAB leak thread got deleted I think, but that should be top 5. Funniest shit ever.

It's the only Interference thread in my bookmarks (not that I bookmark much). I can find Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein and the tuf bono respect thread easily, and it's hard to reduce the Superthread or the Survivor that spawned it to an individual thread, but I knew saving the link to that one would come in handy some day.

For the Superthread, you've got to go with that one Pop survivor thread, I would think.

But yeah, one of the big challenges of this survivor is going to be finding links, particularly for threads older than 2005. We'll manage.

Isn't the nostalgia more for memes than specific threads?

Anyway, the first 5 or so Shuttlecock threads (pre-Out Of Control banishment) are probably better than anything else on here, ever. And the Beatles Remaster threads were pretty tops for me.

lazarus said:
Isn't the nostalgia more for memes than specific threads?

No, there are some specific threads that deserve as much recognition as the memes, though they spawned none of their own. For pure entertainment value, the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein thread destroys the original IS BONO OK thread, though the latter spawned a classic meme.

By the time it's all said and done, the bracket will contain plenty of both.

Post the threads in here, don't worry about PM'ing them. I'll come back to this but Pop survivor, the one Axver posted, Kunstmuseum, one of the threads explaining Fake Edge all come to mind.

I've missed out on a hell of a lot though.

Yeah, I think what we really need first is to brainstorm some of the classics - I certainly know I'm forgetting some favourites. I wonder if any Desert Island thread is worth nominating? It's been a positive B&C fixture but I'm not sure any single thread stands out. There were also some absolutely classic setlist parties during the second and third legs of the Vertigo Tour. And as much as we shit on FYM, there have definitely been some really interesting, constructive, and thought-provoking discussions in there over its history that probably deserve an honourable mention.

Though I know the top of my ballot will be:
1. Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein
2. tuf bono respect
3. The Pop Survivor thread (it was the first round, wasn't it?)
4. I'm Disappointed in Everything U2 Has Ever Done

I don't know if I could even do five without including stuff like the Morrissey thread and the Highest Grossing Tour thread. I know tuf bono is awesome but again I missed most of it and don't reeeeally get the jokes.

Someone should trawl through IO, there's been some rippers in there. I'd put IO: Bart Simpson up there. It's like the only pure thread on the forum.

There's even been some good zoo confesh threads!

I admit, I've never really read IO (I probably have about two posts in there), so I've missed its classics.

I'll definitely be including the Morrissey and Highest Grossing Tour threads in my final list. What other mindbogglingly hilarious argument threads have we had? I feel like there are a whole bunch of worthy candidates just escaping my memory right now.

Oh, and tuf bono, I'm honestly not sure there's much more you need to get beyond the Ian McCulloch quotes in my sig and Bonnie being drunk. :lol:

Oh! Somebody needs to dig up the best of jick. We cannot have this tournament happen without at least one jick thread.

It would also be good for some of our elder statesmen (looking at you, u2popmofo) to see if they can't dig up some really old threads, like Atty Club era.

I'll definitely be including the Morrissey and Highest Grossing Tour threads in my final list. What other mindbogglingly hilarious argument threads have we had? I feel like there are a whole bunch of worthy candidates just escaping my memory right now.

Oh, and tuf bono, I'm honestly not sure there's much more you need to get beyond the Ian McCulloch quotes in my sig and Bonnie being drunk. :lol:

There's been a few that Zoomerang started that descended into fighting. I'm sure there's some great Garrison/Kieran threads in there as well. U2man. Zoots. Beav. Rating interference posters. I live under a bridge. Assigning superpowers to posters.

Thaaat's right. That was a great thread. I think Vik was more a meme than a thread though. Maybe after this we can do a meme survivor.

In which anyone who votes wrongly is forcibly moved.

I can't believe I forgot about this! Definitely a lock.

Incidentally, I bet you some musique concrete/field recordings/lowercase/whatever-masturbatory-genre-you-like artist has done a fridge cover of So Cruel by now.

Ooh yeah, this one definitely merits inclusion too.

Have fun living in the past. This is a terrible thread.

Nostalgia sucks. It's the sad acceptance of a slow and painful death.

Let's create new threads that we can proud of, instead of reminiscing about these stale, flea-ridden threads of the past. This is what we've come to? Has the well truly run dry? We're making threads that rehash old threads?

I don't believe the good times are over. Start one about a new band, or a new album, instead of a thread highlighting some dumb jokes that Dalton made five years ago.

But I guess if you guys want to waste your time stroking each other over some shit that's already happened, that's cool. I still love you.

We'll make sure the world only spins forward has douchebag seats for the meme survivor.

I figure it's at least an original idea in the stagnant world of Interference survivors. And it'll probably be funny. Maybe someone will get pissed off and start a new meme. Von Schloopen will probably call our threads too white and samey, Mr. Brau style.

I still love you, LeMel. I really do. And I still love Axver and Laz and Cobbles all the other people posting in here.

I just think this shit reeks to high heaven. But I'll get out of the way and let you guys have your fun. I'm busy composing my analytical essay about the song structure of "Ronan", anyway.

"what are you smelling" 90383656 threads ago was an "original" idea, technically speaking, since there was no thread for that before. Still doesn't make it worth discussing. Look how funny we were in 2007 is about as useless a thread as the ongoing insights into everything Carek sees/hears/tastes/thinks. I'd agree with GAF here, but I don't love any of you.

You guys say that as if we're taking ourselves seriously. Who gives a fuck? I think looking back at some stuff that was been funny can provide some fun. No big deal :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom