The Interference Recipe thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Contrary to popular belief, brown eggs are not a healthier alternative to white eggs. There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs.

The color difference is due to the specific breed of hen, according to the Egg Nutrition Center. Hens with white feathers and white earlobes lay white eggs, whereas hens with red feathers and matching-colored earlobes lay brown eggs.

ooo so scientific of you RR. What website did you plagerize for this info? :D

Here's a fun easy and quick recipe I learned about today:

CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

cake.jpg

cake1.jpg

cake2.jpg

Right, if I want to mix molten chocolate into cream, can I just wait for the chocolate to cool down and mix it straight into cold cream?

Or should I be lazy and just mix cocoa into cream?

^ whether or not I do either of the above depends on if anyone answers within the next 30 mins.

Contrary to popular belief, brown eggs are not a healthier alternative to white eggs. There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs.

The color difference is due to the specific breed of hen, according to the Egg Nutrition Center. Hens with white feathers and white earlobes lay white eggs, whereas hens with red feathers and matching-colored earlobes lay brown eggs.

:hmm: Wow that's interesting. Never knew you were so well educated on the chick front Carlos. :wink:

What kind of oil does the cake in a mug need? I've never used oil for chocolate cakes(always use butter) so I've no clue.

VP haz skillz. :drool:

IMG_2241.jpg

:reject :

:cute: This looks awesome Carlos.

Here's what St Patty's day looked like:

IMG_2452.jpg

OMG. :drool: This looks amazing.

We need a big interference meetup and hire Arw as our chef!

Great idea. :up:

chickens have earlobes? :eek:hmy :

:lol: That suprised me too.

CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

cake2.jpg

Oooh yummy, this looks nice and easy to do. Thanks. :up:

Two things I love; Google and copy/paste.

lol

lol Google. :love:

CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil

I posted one earlier in this thread where you use 9 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix in place of the cocoa, sugar and milk. It also called for 4 tbsps of flour, and 3 tbsps each of oil and water, along with the one egg. The cooking method and times were the same. Mine's for the uber lazy. :wink:

Here's the link: http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Make_Cake_in_a_Mug

Plain. :sexywink:

Usually a recipe states self-rising if that's what's required. If it doesn't specify, you can assume all-purpose.

Cake. :D Tough Ive seen near identical recipe for cake with plain flour. :shrug:

You still need baking powder for SL Flour usually so I dont get whats so "self raising" about it. Unless its got yeast in or something.

So I bought creamed coconut to put in a cake, but it isnt so much creamed as it is...just a solid block of coconut. :scratch: What do I do to soften it up?

I'd say either coconut milk or a simple syrup (equal parts of water and sugar, boiled until the sugar is dissolved). I can ask one of my chefs at work tomorrow if they've ever used this. I've never heard of it. Anything I've used with coconut has never been a solid block. :huh:

Right, I figured out if you leave it in hot water it softens up. Added it to cake mix, for some reason cake mix started going thick. :)|) It didnt have anything bar coconut in, so I cant figure out why this happened.

cake turned out pretty crumbly and tasted odd. Disapointment. I am cry.

Is there any non-cake-wrecking coconut flavouring you can use for cakes? :(

Did your recipe specifically call for "creamed coconut," MooMoo? And did it direct you to reconstitute it in water first? (assuming you were using a recipe) I ask because I use creamed coconut in curries pretty often when I can't get decent fresh coconuts--you use it in small amounts to thicken the curry--but I've never personally heard of using it in baking. It's basically just coconut cream (aka thick coconut milk, from the first pressing) with the water taken out, so that it's in block form; then you soak it in a specific proportion of hot water to yield reconstituted coconut cream. I'm sure you could use it successfully in baking--like maybe as a partial substitute for butter?, in a cake where a coconutty flavor is desirable--but you'd want to be sure the proportions were correct.

Coconut cakes often use grated coconut and coconut milk in the batter, or you could just make a basic layer cake and sprinkle grated coconut over the frosting and maybe a little coconut milk over the layers. Or you could try adding a couple teaspoons of coconut extract to the cake and/or frosting, in tandem with some grated coconut.

Ive made cake before with dessicated coconut no problem, but it doesnt really give any flavour.

The recipe didnt ask for creamed coconut no, I just thought Id give it a go. I just wasnt expecting it to thicken the way it did. Wont be using it again.

I need to work on my icings and fillings, Im sure I can coconutise those ok. I only really know how to make buttercream filling or water+icing sugar (which I never use) though. :/ I need more ideas. :( If I could learn to do something with fresh cream it'd be useful, since thats nearly always in the fridge.

^ Would any of your local libraries have a copy of Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert? It has a recipe for 'Coconut Palm Cream Cake' featuring a filling of heavy cream whipped with sugar and shredded coconut. I haven't tried this particular recipe (though every other recipe of hers I've tried worked out well) but it sounds really coconutty and interesting. It's a 2-layer cake with toasted shredded coconut and either palm or coconut sugar in the batter. The layers are brushed with a simple rum syrup and the coconut-cream filling spread between them, then you can either just sift powdered sugar over the top or else caramelize some more coconut or palm sugar over it, if you have a propane torch. If you're interested but can't find the recipe, I could type it up for you (in American measurements, sorry...). It sounds pretty straightforward; the only tricky part might be finding the palm or coconut sugar (I've never seen coconut sugar here, although palm sugar, which goes wonderfully with coconut, is usually easy to find at Asian markets).

Last edited:
:drool: OMG that cake sounds heavenly. I love coconut. Almost had a slice of coconut cream pie after dinner out with a friend tonite but opted for a nice hot cappuchino instead since we were so cold.

Back
Top Bottom