The Interference Recipe thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd use a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, probably 2-3 teaspoons of coffee but maybe more like 2. As for nuts, I guess it depends on just how nutty you'd want it. Probably about a cup. Looks like a small recipe so I wouldn't go overboard with them unless you like things nutty :flirt: It was probably pecans in this recipe but any nut would do.

Oh cool! I'll be able to finally try these. Thanks! :)

You could be my new hero. I'm a whore for milk chocolate, and love white chocolate when it's a white choc. cheesecake or mud cake. Man, I need to do some baking!

If you could pass on this other recipe, I'd be very grateful! I've heard of a similar cake before, but never saw a recipe for it. It sounds great! If you can ever happen upon a more useful subsitute than xantham for GF cooking, you know you'll be worshipped the world over by coeliacs and those with gluten intolerances. A company here has created a product which does closely mimick the properties of wheaten flour, but it's really hard to come by.

I have the recipe but it's in weight not cups. Do you bake with cups or do you weigh things out? I'll have to convert it for you if it's cups. I always forget that all of my work recipes are by weight.

Ohhh this thread is back :drool:

Anyone have any good holiday-type recipes with pecans? Someone just gave me 4 pounds of them.

A Pecan Pie would be yummy! Or you could make individual pecan tarts. Pecans are yummy tossed into salads or cookies, fudge or a holiday Waldorf salad (with diced apples, mini marshmallows, cool whip, pkg green pistachio pudding, maraschino cherries, flaked coconut)

Ohhh this thread is back :drool:

Anyone have any good holiday-type recipes with pecans? Someone just gave me 4 pounds of them.

:drool: I have a lot of pecan recipes!!!! Lots

I've got a apple pecan upside down pie and a pecan pumpkin pie recipe too if you want. I'll add more later

easy Toffee

-1/2 c. pecans crushed
Layer a buttered 8x8 pan with pecans

Melt 1 stick butter and 3/4 c. packed brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil
turn heat down a bit stirring constantly for 7 min.
-pour mixture over the pecans (mixture will not reach all sides of the pan)
-Pour 1/3 c. chocolate chips over top immediately
-Cover pan with a cookie sheet or something that will hold in the heat and the chocolate will melt
-Spread choc. across toffee

refrigerate until ready to serve then break into pieces

So easy and yummy

Yams
Bake 5-10 yams 400 degrees for 1-1.5 hrs. ( depending on size I only used 5 at Thanksgiving because they were massive.)

Puree the yams with one stick of butter and pour into a casserole dish

Chop 2-3 cups of pecans
mix pecans with 1.5 cup brown sugar and 1/2 stick of butter (by hand is quick)

crumble that over the yams and bake for another 20-30 min at 400

Pralines one of the best foods EVER
1/2 lb. light brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 c plus 2 tbs evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp. butter
1 C chopped pecans

mix sugar, salt evap. milk and butter in saucepan. cook over low heat stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Stir in pecans and cook over medium heat until mix reaches soft ball (234-240 degrees) i'm not good at determining soft ball stage without a thermometer.

Remove from heat and stir rapidly until it thickens. drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper

Pecan Dreams

This is a paula deen
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 C. flour
1 pack of cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 c butter at room temp.
1 cup chopped pecans

Stir ingredients (reserve pecans) together using a fork or pastry cutter to mix in the butter and cream cheese until crumbly Press mixture into a greased 9 by 2 inch pan. Pour nuts over the dough and bake for 30 min at 350 degrees.

Allow to cool completely

Topping:
whip 1 C heavy cream and 2 TBS sugar together, using a mixer until stiff. Fold
1 C. almond toffee bits in and spread mixture over cake.

cut into squares and refrigerate

does it count if I took this out of a magazine? although I did make it for the first time last night to bring with me to a holiday party tonight and it was way yummy :love:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Crunch

MAKES 16 PIECES (I had a LOT more pieces than that, they must be thinking huge portions)
Prep Time: 25 min (plus chilling)
Cook Time: 10 min

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 sticks (8 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
One 16-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
3 cups crispy rice cereal
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups confectioners' sugar

1. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, melt half of the chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter over low heat. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup peanut butter, then 2 cups rice cereal. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan; refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Wash out the saucepan.

2. In the saucepan, combine the remaining 2 sticks butter and the salt; melt over medium heat, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining peanut butter and the confectioners' sugar. Spread half of the peanut butter mixture over the cereal layer. Top with the remaining 1 cup cereal.

3. In a small bowl, microwave the remaining chocolate at medium power until melted, 1 1/2 minutes. Stir into the remaining peanut butter mixture. Spread evenly on the cereal-topped peanut butter layer, refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes (I left mine in the fridge for at least an hour, the top was a little soft when I first tried cutting into it). Cut into 16 pieces.

here are two more recipes that have been passed around among my siblings.

PUMPKIN COOKIES

1 c. sugar
1 c. butter or margarine
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pumpkin
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 c. raisins

Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla; mix. Add pumpkin; mix. Sift in flour, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Add nuts and raisins if desired. Drop teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (I always use a Silpat or parchment on my cookie sheets, though...) Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. (Check after 10 but I've found they sometimes take longer than 12...)

Makes about 5 dozen.

Pumpkin Mousse

2 small boxes fat-free, sugar-free vanilla pudding
2 cups skim milk
1 cup to 1 can pumpkin, to taste (I usually use a whole 15 oz. can)
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I tend to add a little more than that)
1 cup Cool Whip Lite (I generally defrost it first but the original recipe actually doesn't specify)

Mix first four ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in Cool Whip. Refrigerate at least one hour.

just cuz you love da lemon bars!

This is what we call.........VICTORY!

I'll take 2 please.

How come no recipes for Lemon Bars? WTF kind of shit is that.

are you blind Beav? :wink:

This is my absolute favorite lemon bar recipe. I got it out of a book by Magnolia bakery in NY. I've never been to the bakery but the friend that gave me the book swears by this place everytime he goes to NY to visit.

Crust:
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t grated lemon zest

Topping:
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temp
1 cup lemon juice
6 cups grated lemon zest

preheat oven to 350* F and grease a 12 x 18 baking sheet

For the crust: combine all of the crust ingredients in a large bowl and use the mixer on low speed. Form the dough into a ball then spread evenly onto the pan. Cover the crust with wax paper and press down to make an even crust. (a bottle of pan release spray such as Pam works great for this. Just roll it up on down the pan until your crust is even). Bake for about 20 min until golden brown then let cool a bit.

Meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar, juice and zest until combined. Pour onto the crust. Bake for about 20 minutes. Once this is completely cool you can dust it with confectioners' sugar and cut.

I've made this recipe using oranges and limes as well. I think lime is probably the most requested flavor by my family when I say I'm going to make a citrus bar. I've never mixed flavors but I've been meaning to do so to see what sort of flavor I come up with.

This is my absolute favorite lemon bar recipe. I got it out of a book by Magnolia bakery in NY. I've never been to the bakery but the friend that gave me the book swears by this place everytime he goes to NY to visit.

Crust:
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t grated lemon zest

Topping:
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temp
1 cup lemon juice
6 cups grated lemon zest

preheat oven to 350* F and grease a 12 x 18 baking sheet

For the crust: combine all of the crust ingredients in a large bowl and use the mixer on low speed. Form the dough into a ball then spread evenly onto the pan. Cover the crust with wax paper and press down to make an even crust. (a bottle of pan release spray such as Pam works great for this. Just roll it up on down the pan until your crust is even). Bake for about 20 min until golden brown then let cool a bit.

Meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar, juice and zest until combined. Pour onto the crust. Bake for about 20 minutes. Once this is completely cool you can dust it with confectioners' sugar and cut.

I've made this recipe using oranges and limes as well. I think lime is probably the most requested flavor by my family when I say I'm going to make a citrus bar. I've never mixed flavors but I've been meaning to do so to see what sort of flavor I come up with.

The post fills me with rage. FUCK.

It's nothing personal arw, it's just the way I react to Lemon Bars. And the better they sound, the madder I get, and I am fucking pissed right now.

The post fills me with rage. FUCK.

It's nothing personal arw, it's just the way I react to Lemon Bars. And the better they sound, the madder I get, and I am fucking pissed right now.

just go to the store and buy some lemons, lots of them, and make this recipe. I think that might cure your rage......

here are two more recipes that have been passed around among my siblings.

PUMPKIN COOKIES

1 c. sugar
1 c. butter or margarine
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pumpkin
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 c. raisins

Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla; mix. Add pumpkin; mix. Sift in flour, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Add nuts and raisins if desired. Drop teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (I always use a Silpat or parchment on my cookie sheets, though...) Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. (Check after 10 but I've found they sometimes take longer than 12...)

Makes about 5 dozen.

Pumpkin Mousse

2 small boxes fat-free, sugar-free vanilla pudding
2 cups skim milk
1 cup to 1 can pumpkin, to taste (I usually use a whole 15 oz. can)
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I tend to add a little more than that)
1 cup Cool Whip Lite (I generally defrost it first but the original recipe actually doesn't specify)

Mix first four ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in Cool Whip. Refrigerate at least one hour.

I love pumpkin. LOVE it. :love: We made so many pumpkin things at work in Oct and Nov that I thought I was going to turn into a pumpkin! My favorite is the pumpkin souffle with cinnamon anglaise :drool:

just go to the store and buy some lemons, lots of them, and make this recipe. I think that might cure your rage......
just out of curiosity, how many lemons do you think one would need to buy for that much zest? whenever i zest i can just eyeball it so i've no idea how much zest anything yields. :reject:

OK for those of you that have a scale at home........

FLOURLESS Chocolate Cake

Butter 1#
Chocolate 2.5#
Sugar .63#
Eggs 1.87#
Grand Marnier, Chambord, Rum or any othe liquor to taste

Melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler, add liquor. When mixture is almost done, mix together eggs and sugar. Don't do this too early or your eggs will clump up. Let choc mixture cool a bit and slowly add to your eggs. Bake 325*F. Baking times will depend on what type of pan you choose. 15-20 minutes if it's small cupcakes but probably closer to 30 for a baking pan. For best results in getting it out of the pan, always spray with pan release, line the bottom with parchment paper, then spray again.

Peanut Butter Mousse

Cream Cheese 1#
Sugar 1#
Peanut Butter 1 # 3 oz
Heavy Cream 26 1/2 oz

Beat cheese and sugar then add pb. Once blended, slowly add cream and whip until light and fluffy.

just out of curiosity, how many lemons do you think one would need to buy for that much zest? whenever i zest i can just eyeball it so i've no idea how much zest anything yields. :reject:

I think I've used about 6 large lemons. I juice them as well for the base part of the recipe so I generally pick up a few extra just in case. I always throw in lemons in water or diet coke so I don't mind if I have extra. But I'd go with 6 for sure. Limes is another story......I think I've doubled that if not more. They're so much smaller than lemons.

I love pumpkin. LOVE it. :love: We made so many pumpkin things at work in Oct and Nov that I thought I was going to turn into a pumpkin! My favorite is the pumpkin souffle with cinnamon anglaise :drool:

I'm a pumpkin-aholic too! I've made the mousse 3 times since Thanksgiving alone...although they were for various get togethers, so I have a good reason to make it... :)

I think I've used about 6 large lemons. I juice them as well for the base part of the recipe so I generally pick up a few extra just in case. I always throw in lemons in water or diet coke so I don't mind if I have extra. But I'd go with 6 for sure. Limes is another story......I think I've doubled that if not more. They're so much smaller than lemons.
thanks :) and yes they are! it doesn't help too that limes are so stingy giving up their juice. microwaving helps though, of course.

Buckeyes

BuckeyeCandy.jpg

1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 16-ounce package powdered sugar
1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Melt margarine. In a medium-size bowl, mix peanut butter, melted margarine, vanilla, and sugar with hands to form a smooth dough. Mixture will be very stiff. Shape dough into balls, using about 2 teaspoonsful for each ball. Place on wax paper and put in refrigerator. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in microwave. When smooth, pour into a small bowl or cup. Remove peanut butter balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball and dip it into the melted chocolate so that three-fourths of the ball is coated. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove pick. Repeat with all balls. Refrigerate on wax paper 30 minutes or longer, until chocolate is firm, not sticky. To store, remove balls from baking sheet and place in plastic containers, with wax paper between layers to keep separate. Refrigerate until read to serve. Makes about 5 dozen candies.

I've always liked to bake and this is a cookie I've made for over 30 years. One day (when my parents were away :D ) I decided to make cookies from a recipe I found in the newspaper. It was called Mocha Nut Butterballs. However, I didn't have any cocoa, I didn't have any nuts (in more ways than one ;) ), and I was damned if I was going to put coffee in cookies. So I ended up with a very simple buttery little cookie. Easy to make and quite tasty. :)

Butterballs (they are actually just flat little cookies)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla, then mix in flour and salt.

Lightly shape heaping teaspoonfuls into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 325F. The bottoms should be just barely beginning to brown. Remove to cooling rack.

I've made these a couple of times since typing out the recipe here and thought I should add this note:

If the dough is a little sticky to roll into balls add in a bit more flour. It might take a tablespoon or two above the 1 3/4 cups. Just that little extra flour makes a big positive difference in this cookie. :)

Buckeyes

BuckeyeCandy.jpg

1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 16-ounce package powdered sugar
1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Melt margarine. In a medium-size bowl, mix peanut butter, melted margarine, vanilla, and sugar with hands to form a smooth dough. Mixture will be very stiff. Shape dough into balls, using about 2 teaspoonsful for each ball. Place on wax paper and put in refrigerator. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in microwave. When smooth, pour into a small bowl or cup. Remove peanut butter balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball and dip it into the melted chocolate so that three-fourths of the ball is coated. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove pick. Repeat with all balls. Refrigerate on wax paper 30 minutes or longer, until chocolate is firm, not sticky. To store, remove balls from baking sheet and place in plastic containers, with wax paper between layers to keep separate. Refrigerate until read to serve. Makes about 5 dozen candies.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm fairly certain I'll be making these soon!

I wonder though, is there anything that could be added to the melted chocolate other than solid shortening? I'd hate to buy a package just to use two tablespoons of it, and have the rest thrown out.

I really love this pie. you can use a pre-bought pastry and pie filling if you wanted to make it much simpler. It's like a pecan/pumpkin pie combo :drool:

Winning Pie: Pumpkin Praline
Emeril’s Thanksgiving Contest 2000
Good Morning America

The winning recipe is Pumpkin Praline Pie
by Beth Ann Woodward from Spring, Texas.

Servings: 8

Ingredients for crust:
Either *home-made (see below) or
store-bought refrigerated crust
(Beth prefers Pillsbury)

Ingredients for praline layer:
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons softened butter

Ingredients for pumpkin filling:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup evaporated milk

Ingredients and directions for *home-made crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon shortening - or
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon lard
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons ice water
(add the extra 1/2 tablespoon if it is too dry)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and use a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie
plate. (**If using a metal pie pan, increase temperature to 400 degrees.)
2. With pastry blender, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs. (It will look like cornmeal. Add ice water (it must be
very cold) one tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly. Dough should be just
moist enough to hold together in a ball. Make sure it is not sticky. Form
into ball and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Place dough on lightly floured surface and flatten slightly. Roll into
10-inch circle, rolling from the center out. Lay the crust gently into 9-inch
deep-dish glass pie plate. Press into pan and crimp edges decoratively.

Directions for praline layer and filling:
1. In food processor, add pecan pieces, dark brown sugar, and butter.
Process until ingredients hold together like a paste, making sure the
pecans are a fine "meal." Press very firmly into bottom only of the pie
crust so it will not float up during baking.
2. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy with hand-mixer or standing
mixer. Then with mixer on low, or stirring by hand, add in order the
rest of the ingredients. Beat only until well mixed. Pour slowly into
praline lined crust.
3. Bake in oven checking after 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust to
prevent oven browning. Pie is done when filling is set but still slightly
jiggly in center, depending on oven 45-55 minutes total. Remove
from oven and let cool on counter until room temperature. Chill
in refrigerator.
4. Garnish with whipped cream and caramelized pecans, if desired. (*see recipe for caramelized pecans below) Cut pie into eight servings and
garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and 2 caramelized
pecan halves.

Optional: caramelized pecans:

16 nice pecan halves
3 tbsp white granulated sugar

1. In a non-stick skillet, add pecan halves and sugar. Cook over low
heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until sugar melts and begins
to caramelize.
2. When pecans are nicely coated, remove from heat and cool.

I have the recipe but it's in weight not cups. Do you bake with cups or do you weigh things out? I'll have to convert it for you if it's cups. I always forget that all of my work recipes are by weight.

I've got digital scales, so it should be fine! Thanks arw!!
:up:

Back
Top Bottom