The Interference Recipe thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well if you had it that'd be great. If I had anything like ounce or so I could convert it, but I have no clue what cups are.
If you don't want to do it by weight, here are very close approximations of cups and spoons to millilitres.

1 cup = 250 ml
1/2 cup = 125 ml
1/3 cup = 80 ml
1/4 cup = 60 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml

You can pretty much figure out anything else you need from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
I've made this with 3 tablespoons of applesauce instead of the 3 tablespoons of oil--and it's great!
Awesome, thanks! I'll try that. Anything to save calories and make it healthier.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 PM
I've always liked to bake and this is a cookie I've made for over 30 years. One day (when my parents were away *) I decided to make cookies from a recipe I found in the newspaper. It was called Mocha Nut Butterballs. However, I didn't have any cocoa, I didn't have any nuts (in more ways than one ), and I was damned if I was going to put coffee in cookies. So I ended up with a very simple buttery little cookie. Easy to make and quite tasty.

Butterballs (they are actually just flat little cookies)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla, then mix in flour and salt.

Lightly shape heaping teaspoonfuls into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 325F. The bottoms should be just barely beginning to brown. Remove to cooling rack.

* this cooking-while-the-parents-are-away episode turned out much better than the time I made bread. I always liked to sample what I was making (ie, I liked to eat raw cookie dough etc.) and did the same with the raw bread dough. That was when I found out just what a perfect environment the human stomach is for raw yeast doughs. I'd only eaten a small chunk of bread dough (because to be honest, it wasn't all that tasty raw), but in the middle of the night I vomited up massive quantities of VERY yeasty smelling glop. I remember hearing my mum (who got the lovely task of cleaning it up ) ask "what in the world did she eat?"

I never did that again.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I've always liked to bake and this is a cookie I've made for over 30 years. One day (when my parents were away *) I decided to make cookies from a recipe I found in the newspaper. It was called Mocha Nut Butterballs. However, I didn't have any cocoa, I didn't have any nuts (in more ways than one ), and I was damned if I was going to put coffee in cookies. So I ended up with a very simple buttery little cookie. Easy to make and quite tasty.

Butterballs (they are actually just flat little cookies)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla, then mix in flour and salt.

Lightly shape heaping teaspoonfuls into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 325F. The bottoms should be just barely beginning to brown. Remove to cooling rack.
These sound great! You wouldn't happen to still have the original recipe with the cocoa, nuts, and coffee though would you?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
These sound great! You wouldn't happen to still have the original recipe with the cocoa, nuts, and coffee though would you?
You know I never actually made the original recipe. And of course now that I'd like to try it the original recipe is long gone.

Anyone want a recipe for Baklava? I used to make this every Christmas and it always got rave reviews. It is quite time consuming though (you have to brush every single piece of phyllo dough with melted butter), but if someone thinks they may use it I'll post it.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
You know I never actually made the original recipe. And of course now that I'd like to try it the original recipe is long gone.

That's ok... we could probably experiment a bit and get something good.... or maybe a pro (arw ?) could suggest the amounts that might work?

By the way... anyone else having trouble with the quote function today? All day today whenever I quote I have to go back and edit because it doesn't work the first time... seems it leaves off the [ / part at the end.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #51
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
That's ok... we could probably experiment a bit and get something good.... or maybe a pro (arw ?) could suggest the amounts that might work?

I'd use a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, probably 2-3 teaspoons of coffee but maybe more like 2. As for nuts, I guess it depends on just how nutty you'd want it. Probably about a cup. Looks like a small recipe so I wouldn't go overboard with them unless you like things nutty It was probably pecans in this recipe but any nut would do.

Here's a tip for using nuts in baked goods.....lightly coat them in veg oil and then toss them in a little bit of salt. Put them on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes. You'll be amazed at how much extra flavor you'll get. Most recipes will call for salt so don't go too crazy on the salt with the nuts.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
I'd use a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, probably 2-3 teaspoons of coffee but maybe more like 2. As for nuts, I guess it depends on just how nutty you'd want it. Probably about a cup. Looks like a small recipe so I wouldn't go overboard with them unless you like things nutty It was probably pecans in this recipe but any nut would do.

Here's a tip for using nuts in baked goods.....lightly coat them in veg oil and then toss them in a little bit of salt. Put them on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes. You'll be amazed at how much extra flavor you'll get. Most recipes will call for salt so don't go too crazy on the salt with the nuts.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #53
arw
Blue Crack Addict

This is my absolute favorite lemon bar recipe. I got it out of a book by Magnolia bakery in NY. I've never been to the bakery but the friend that gave me the book swears by this place everytime he goes to NY to visit.

Crust:
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t grated lemon zest

Topping:
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temp
1 cup lemon juice
6 cups grated lemon zest

preheat oven to 350* F and grease a 12 x 18 baking sheet

For the crust: combine all of the crust ingredients in a large bowl and use the mixer on low speed. Form the dough into a ball then spread evenly onto the pan. Cover the crust with wax paper and press down to make an even crust. (a bottle of pan release spray such as Pam works great for this. Just roll it up on down the pan until your crust is even). Bake for about 20 min until golden brown then let cool a bit.

Meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar, juice and zest until combined. Pour onto the crust. Bake for about 20 minutes. Once this is completely cool you can dust it with confectioners' sugar and cut.

I've made this recipe using oranges and limes as well. I think lime is probably the most requested flavor by my family when I say I'm going to make a citrus bar. I've never mixed flavors but I've been meaning to do so to see what sort of flavor I come up with.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #54
Neon Zebra

Char, I'm making your mac and cheese right now.

It's the perfect night for it
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
This is my absolute favorite lemon bar recipe.
I will be trying this one
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
This is my absolute favorite lemon bar recipe. I got it out of a book by Magnolia bakery in NY. I've never been to the bakery but the friend that gave me the book swears by this place everytime he goes to NY to visit.
I might have to try that - we're having a Christmas potluck next week and I've been tasked with making desserts; my boss' fave is Lemon Meringue pie so if this is lemon-y hopefully he'll appreciate the effort!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #57
Neon Zebra

My family LOVED your recipe, Char!

But I think I just gained five pounds
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #58
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
My family LOVED your recipe, Char!

But I think I just gained five pounds

I'm glad they liked it! I've been totally nervous since you said you were making it!!

I hear you about the 5 pounds too, lol. That's pretty much why I only make it during the holidays.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
ah the life of a Pastry Chef...all in a days work.

But really, the cake minus the ganache stuff, is completely easy to make. It takes longer to boil the guinness and butter than anything else. The ganache is still easy but really not necessary. I just needed to kick it up a bit for work. Trust me, this cake is worth the effort.
I have the same recipe (I think) for the Guinness cake, but I make cupcakes with it, and do a glaze - they look like little mini pints of Guinness when I made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAW View Post

I'm glad they liked it! I've been totally nervous since you said you were making it!!

I hear you about the 5 pounds too, lol. That's pretty much why I only make it during the holidays.
I seriously have all of the ingredients for this and am debating making it this weekend. Damn you, Char!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post
I have the same recipe (I think) for the Guinness cake, but I make cupcakes with it, and do a glaze - they look like little mini pints of Guinness when I made them.

What a cute idea!!