Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I don't have the skillz, time, or patience to make this... so you must have posted this just to torture me

but seriously that sounds amazing wow.
ah the life of a Pastry Chef...all in a days work.

But really, the cake minus the ganache stuff, is completely easy to make. It takes longer to boil the guinness and butter than anything else. The ganache is still easy but really not necessary. I just needed to kick it up a bit for work. Trust me, this cake is worth the effort.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #32
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnok View Post
One last recipe.

I make this ahead of time when I can throw a few extra potatoes in to bake when I have the oven going. This soup is even better when made and reheated the next day.

Baked Potato Soup

2 tbsp. butter
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 baking potatoes (about 2-1/2 lbs.)*
2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 oz.)
6 cups milk (use 2 percent reduced fat if you prefer)**
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided (use reduced fat if you prefer)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Cracked black pepper (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash.

3. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.

4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour into the vegetables; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).

5. Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

6. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil).

7. Ladle 1-1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 tsp. cheese, 1-1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tbsp. bacon. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired.

Serves 8.

I think I got the recipe from Cooking Light. I've made changes when I didn't have all the proper ingredients, you can substitute chicken broth for some of the milk or more potatoes for thickness instead of sour cream ( I usually use powdered for taste) It's also good with some fresh corn thrown in.

This sounds really good! I've been looking for something different to make the roommates so I'll see if they would be interested in something like this.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
ah the life of a Pastry Chef...all in a days work.

But really, the cake minus the ganache stuff, is completely easy to make. It takes longer to boil the guinness and butter than anything else. The ganache is still easy but really not necessary. I just needed to kick it up a bit for work. Trust me, this cake is worth the effort.

welll ... I'll bet I could convince my hubby to make it for me... I need to try this. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #34
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
You can do anything with white chocolate that you can with dark but using it is a little trickier because white chocolate technically isn't chocolate as it contains no cacao, which is the essential ingredient to dark and milk chocolate. It's made up of cocoa butter, milk, and sugar. Due to the cocoa butter, it can be called "chocolate." So when making ganache, you need to add more pieces of white choc to it to stiffen it up. Otherwise you'll just make white chocolate soup!

I don't have it on me but I can get this for you if interested....I have a recipe at work for a flourless chocolate cake. It's basically a mix of butter, chocolate, sugar, eggs, and liquor for flavor. Any liquor can be added, or not at all. We have this on hand at all times at the resort I work at just in case there's someone who can't have gluten and doesn't want just a fruit bowl for dessert It's a very dense cake so you can't eat a lot of it at once. But it definitely does the trick for a sweet fix for anyone!
You could be my new hero. I'm a whore for milk chocolate, and love white chocolate when it's a white choc. cheesecake or mud cake. Man, I need to do some baking!

If you could pass on this other recipe, I'd be very grateful! I've heard of a similar cake before, but never saw a recipe for it. It sounds great! If you can ever happen upon a more useful subsitute than xantham for GF cooking, you know you'll be worshipped the world over by coeliacs and those with gluten intolerances. A company here has created a product which does closely mimick the properties of wheaten flour, but it's really hard to come by.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Arw, your stuff looks beautiful! Two questions - do you have any good recipes for desserts that are easy to make but are eggless? I have a friend who has an egg allergy and we're always trying to figure out how to make cookies, etc for him.

I'm in a baking mood, people, keep 'em coming!

(I forgot my 2nd question!)
Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #36
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Arw, your stuff looks beautiful! Two questions - do you have any good recipes for desserts that are easy to make but are eggless? I have a friend who has an egg allergy and we're always trying to figure out how to make cookies, etc for him.

I'm in a baking mood, people, keep 'em coming!
I have some sweet dough recipes that could easily be used to make a sugar cookie. I'm off for the next few days so I'll have to wait to get my recipes when I go back to work.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Cool, thanks, no hurry!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
All this talk of cake reminded me of a recipe someone sent me the link for not too long ago - cake in a mug that you microwave for 3 minutes! What could be better? The problem is, you're sitting around, you think to yourself "gee, I'd like some cake!" and this way you can have it in like 5 minutes. Good for instant gratification, not so good for the waistline.

Anyway, here's the recipe. If you click on the link, the site has pictures you can follow. A child could make this, it's so easy.

Make Cake in a Mug - Wired How-To Wiki

Chocolate Cake in a Mug

You'll need:

A microwave oven
A large microwavable mug
A tablespoon for measuring
Cooking spray

4 Tablespoons flour
9 Tablespoons hot chocolate mix
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons water
3 Tablespoons oil
1 pinch of salt

Spray a little cooking spray into the mug.

Measure out the flour and hot chocolate mix into the mug. Stir.

Crack the egg into the mug. Stir a bit after adding the egg so the cup doesn't overflow.

Add water and oil.

Stir until thoroughly moistened. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the mug with your spoon to avoid any leftover pockets of dry ingredients.

Put the mug in the microwave on high and set the timer for 3 minutes.

Makes enough for one enormous serving.

Buying hot chocolate mix in bulk saves having to rip open the little packages.

As it's cooking, it will rise waaay out of the mug, but it goes back down once it's done. When it's finished, turn the mug over and put the cake on a plate and cut it lengthwise to cool for a few minutes. You can have it warm, or let it cool completely. You can also add chocolate chips to the mixture before putting it into the microwave. The recipe says that it's one big serving, but it's so dense that I'm not sure who could eat it all in one go. And also, I buy sugar free hot chocolate mix, and it turns out totally fine with that.
I've made this with 3 tablespoons of applesauce instead of the 3 tablespoons of oil--and it's great!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #39
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Chocolate Guinness Cake

2 cups Guinness
2 cups (4 sticks) butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder

4 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
1 T baking soda
1 t 1/2 salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sour cream

Preheat oven to 350*. Butter or spray three 8 inch pans or muffin pans. If using cake pans, line with parchment paper. Also butter or spray paper.

Bring stout and butter to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat and then whisk in cocoa powder. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly.

In a seperate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Beat eggs and sour cream in a large bowl. Add stout mixture to eggs mixture. Beat to combine. Slowly add flour mixture and fold to blend. Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake about 35 to 45 minutes and then cool completely before removing from pans. Reduce the baking time to 20 minutes if using muffin pans. Use a cake tester to check to see if it's done. If it comes out clean then it's ok to take it out of the oven. This cake is very moist so it's hard to tell if it's done just by looking at it.

This cake is super easy to make an unbelievably delicious! I've had many people who don't like guinness eat this cake and can't get enough of it.

I made it at work this past weekend for the weekly Sunday brunch. I dipped the mini's in chocolate ganahce and then added a Bailey's Irish Creme white chocolate ganache

To make white chocolate ganache simply heat 1 cup of heavy cream to a boil. Then turn the heat off and add at least 2 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips, stir until melted. Add Bailey's to taste. White chocolate does not set up as thick as dark chocolate so more chips can be added to make a thicker ganache. Let this set up for a while before using on the cake. You can use it as a filling in the middle of the cakes. To make chocolate ganache for dipping, use 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate and then dip when melted. The above amounts are not exact to this recipe but as a general rule of thumb, dark chocolate is 1 part cream/2 parts chocolate while white chocolate is 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate.

I made 40 of the mini's and a larger display cake for brunch. Yum!

oh wow.

Can you please tell me what measurement cups are?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
OMG the Guinness cake looks amazin! I already want to lick the picture!

sounds good to try too, as I hear Guinness would be good for me as its fattening, must try over the hols! thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #41
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
oh wow.

Can you please tell me what measurement cups are?
do you measure everything out using the metric system? So you'd need this in grams?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
Galeonbroad

Quote:
do you measure everything out using the metric system? So you'd need this in grams?
Well if you had it that'd be great. If I had anything like ounce or so I could convert it, but I have no clue what cups are.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #43
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well if you had it that'd be great. If I had anything like ounce or so I could convert it, but I have no clue what cups are.
here's a website that will do ounces or grams. Liquids always convert evenly so 1 cup of liquid is 8 oz.....a pint of Guinness is 2 cups. But dry ingredients do not convert to an exact amount like liquids.

Cup to Gram Conversions - Allrecipes
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Galeonbroad

Quote:
here's a website that will do ounces or grams. Liquids always convert evenly so 1 cup of liquid is 8 oz.....a pint of Guinness is 2 cups. But dry ingredients do not convert to an exact amount like liquids.

Cup to Gram Conversions - Allrecipes
Thank you
That works for the flour, sugar and butter, but what about the cocoa powder?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #45
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Thank you
That works for the flour, sugar and butter, but what about the cocoa powder?
use the confectioners/powdered sugar option