The Interference Recipe thread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #406
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:47 PM
OK will do! She wants to make it on Wednesday. I need to buy another 8in pan though because I only have 2.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #407
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 AM
do you have anything bigger than 8? You could always just pour a little more batter into each pan if they are larger....OR, just bake 2 and then put them in the freezer for an hour to chill, pop the cakes out when they are cold, then bake the rest of the batter

Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #408
Blue Crack Distributor

I was actually going to ask you if it would work to use two 9 in pans. Or even just do two 8 in and make a tray of cup cakes to go with the smaller cake. (I loooove warm cupcakes straight from the oven with no frosting )
Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #409
Blue Crack Distributor

Time for my annual "what I made my daughter for her birthday" post. She's been stressed with exams lately and didn't have time to instruct me much, so one one occasion when I asked her, she said "something with chocolate and cherries" (which was the theme last year, if I remember correctly - she's so predictable), and then another time, she said "some sort of cheesecake." So, I put it all together, and came up with this: a cheesecake with a chocolate brownie bottom, then the cheesecake layer, then a chocolate ganache, then a topping of cherries - I wanted to make my own, but after checking a couple of stores for cherries in juice, I couldn't find any, so I had to go the canned pie filling route - and then topped with some truffles made with the leftover ganache.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #410
arw
Blue Crack Addict

yeah I really don't know why this cake calls for 3 8 inch pans. I only had 1 spare can of Guinness at work the other day to make this (I have a Guinness date cake on our restaurant menu which is unbelievably good.) so I was able to make 4 7 inch pans and had a tiny bit of batter left over.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #411
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Time for my annual "what I made my daughter for her birthday" post. She's been stressed with exams lately and didn't have time to instruct me much, so one one occasion when I asked her, she said "something with chocolate and cherries" (which was the theme last year, if I remember correctly - she's so predictable), and then another time, she said "some sort of cheesecake." So, I put it all together, and came up with this: a cheesecake with a chocolate brownie bottom, then the cheesecake layer, then a chocolate ganache, then a topping of cherries - I wanted to make my own, but after checking a couple of stores for cherries in juice, I couldn't find any, so I had to go the canned pie filling route - and then topped with some truffles made with the leftover ganache.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #412
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
omg
Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #413
Blue Crack Distributor

arw, maybe you can offer some advice about this. How do you make truffle balls without them melting all over your hands? Is the solution a melon baller?

These melted so fast that I had to keep sticking my hands in freezing cold water between each one. Helped a bit, but wasn't very comfortable.

For the rest of the dinner we had pizza, panzarotti (with a tomato and basil dipping sauce) and focaccia, all made from scratch, with the dough recipe I posted earlier, and caesar salad. It turned out well.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #414
arw
Blue Crack Addict

yeah that's how we make them at work. I use a melon baller/small cookie scoop. I also have a bowl of ice water to dip the scoop in to keep it cold and clean. But you also then have to wipe off every drop of water since water will ruin your chocolate. So it's a long, tedious process but if you're only doing a few I wouldn't worry about using ice water.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #415
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw View Post
yeah that's how we make them at work. I use a melon baller/small cookie scoop. I also have a bowl of ice water to dip the scoop in to keep it cold and clean. But you also then have to wipe off every drop of water since water will ruin your chocolate. So it's a long, tedious process but if you're only doing a few I wouldn't worry about using ice water.
Thanks. I'll have to remember to pick one up when I'm out.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Anybody got a good recipe for chocolate frosting? I tried making some the other day for brownies, but it didn't turn out very good.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #417
War Child

I like Hershey's One Bowl Frosting:

ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #418
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Does anyone have a good recipe for Mushy Peas? Believe it or not I fell in love with them in England and a can of them I was bringing home was confiscated in customs....I think the rotty old woman was just hungry as she allowed me to keep my big box of PG Tips tea. I want to make mushy peas and I am on the hunt for a recipe.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #419
Blue Crack Distributor

Ok well this photo does it no justice at all, but it was delicious. We decided to just leave the cake as is and let people put the Baileys sauce on if they wanted because some of us prefer just the cake. (Half the cake is still in the baking pan here) The cakes also rose nice and high but of course the photos make them look flat. They weren't. We just made the 2 8in rounds and the extra made warm cupcakes from the oven to die for.

but topping off this meal tonight, it was amazing Thanks for the recipe!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #420
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 03:47 PM
man this thread is making me hungry . . . . . . that cheescake, those spuds, that guinness