Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #361
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit toys View Post
Applesauce?
Hmm, well, personally I love homemade applesauce, but I suspect my kids would turn up their noses at the thought that it constitutes "dessert." I was more thinking along the lines of things like those old-fashioned American desserts--not sure what they're called--where you pour batter over stewing fruit in a stockpot and it cooks in the heat from the fruit, or those old-fashioned British "puddings" which are actually more like dense, moist cakes which are steamed rather than baked. Flour-based stuff, in other words. I don't necessarily need a precise recipe, and I don't mind tinkering a bit to make something that usually involves butter or milk nondairy; my problem is that I've never even eaten, let alone made, either of those types of desserts before, so I'm unclear as to what basic type of batter I'm supposed to be mixing up.

There's always rice pudding, too, and I know how to make that on a stovetop with coconut milk; the problem there is that we're already eating rice with almost every meal here, so I think that might feel like overkill.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #362
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Yolland, unfortunately I can´t bake. Otherwise I would have receipts for you but desserts are usually where I feel like visiting the Italian gelateria.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #363
has a

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Does anyone know any good stovetop desserts that can be made without dairy (I'm allergic)? We're in Hong Kong for the year with only a two-burner stovetop, a wok, and a stockpot to work with--no oven--and I'd like to come up with a few desserts to serve on occasion. All I really know how to do off the top of my head are a few deep-fried, fritter-type things, and then there's fruit salad of course, but I was hoping for something with a more 'comfort food'-type flavor and texture.
This got me thinking. I don't have any specific recipes. Applecrisp should be easy with a butter substitute.

These look good though:

Vegan Dessert Recipes | ChooseVeg.com

Mark
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Does anyone know any good stovetop desserts that can be made without dairy (I'm allergic)? We're in Hong Kong for the year with only a two-burner stovetop, a wok, and a stockpot to work with--no oven--and I'd like to come up with a few desserts to serve on occasion. All I really know how to do off the top of my head are a few deep-fried, fritter-type things, and then there's fruit salad of course, but I was hoping for something with a more 'comfort food'-type flavor and texture.
how about some raw vegan recipes?

for example, you can make stuffed dates:

pit them, put walnut inside, and then roll it on some shredded coconut.

it's not stove top, but that doesn't mean it isn't yummy!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #365
War Child

Quote:
I was more thinking along the lines of things like those old-fashioned American desserts--not sure what they're called--where you pour batter over stewing fruit in a stockpot and it cooks in the heat from the fruit, or those old-fashioned British "puddings" which are actually more like dense, moist cakes which are steamed rather than baked. Flour-based stuff, in other words. I don't necessarily need a precise recipe, and I don't mind tinkering a bit to make something that usually involves butter or milk nondairy; my problem is that I've never even eaten, let alone made, either of those types of desserts before, so I'm unclear as to what basic type of batter I'm supposed to be mixing up.
Ah, okay, like a cobbler. I found this recipe. You would need a heavy Dutch oven type pot. That could be done on a stovetop.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #366
The Fly

Local Time: 10:31 PM
What about coconut pudding? Its sweet and you can get the Chinese style from the supermarket in Hong Kong (I'm pretty sure). Its a good substitute for diary.

Theres a few options in the link below, I know its not what you're thinking of but its something to consider when you feel like a change.

Coconut Pudding Recipes - Holiday/Seasonal Cooking
Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #367
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit toys View Post
I found this recipe. You would need a heavy Dutch oven type pot. That could be done on a stovetop.
Oh! Thanks for that! Yes, that sounds quite similar to what I was thinking of. Looks like it's basically a biscuit dough, which should be doable.

I probably will make a coconut pudding and some of these other ideas at some point too, it's just that I've been racking my brains trying to think of what might hit the spot for my homesick kids when they crave pie, cookies or cake, none of which I can actually make without an oven. Thanks all!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #368
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:31 AM
I remember years ago making a stovetop cake from rice and/or coconut. I can't remember now it's been so long but it was a recipe from a Chinese cooking class I took about 30 years ago! I do remember it definitely had a cake like consistency though, so it might also satisfy your kids I'll see if I can find the recipe or maybe someone actually knows what I'm trying to think of!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #369
The Fly

i know what you're talking about with the coconut cake but I'm not 100% sure how to make it. I did find this recipe for a chocolate mousse tort which is dairy free. The kids might like this

Free Recipes - Chocolate mousse torte recipe | cuisine.com.au
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #370
ONE
love, blood, life

Anyone got a good and authentic recipe for Baklava?

I have used the one form taste.com.au (below), and it just sint quite what you get in the Turkish restaurants.

Ingredients
375g (1 packet) filo pastry
180g butter, melted & cooled
2 tsp water
filling
150g walnut pieces
150g unsalted pistachios
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
honey syrup
1 375g jar honey
165g (3/4 cup) sugar
250mls (1 cup) water
1 lemon, rind finely grated and juiced
Method
Preheat oven to 180°C To make the filling, spread the walnuts on a baking tray and lightly toast in the preheated oven for 5-8 minutes or until aromatic. Cool.
Combine walnuts, pistachios, sugar and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor and process using the pulse button until they are finely chopped.
Remove the filo pastry from its packet and lie flat on the work bench. Cover with a dry tea towel and then a damp tea towel. (This will keep the filo from drying out while making the baklava.)
Brush a shallow 18 x 28cm cake tin with some of the butter. Take 1/3 of the sheets of filo. Brush the top sheet generously with butter and fold into thirds to make a rectangle the size of the tin. Place in the base of the buttered tin and brush surface with butter.
Continue layering with the left over 1/3 of pastry. Spread 1/2 of the nut filling over the filo to cover. Layer 1/2 of the remaining filo sheets as before. Spread left over nut filling over filo and top with the remaining layered buttered filo sheets. Lightly brush top with remaining butter.
Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern into the top layer of filo and sprinkle with the water. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes longer or until the filo layers are cooked through.
Meanwhile, to make the honey syrup, combine honey, sugar, water, lemon rind and juice in a saucepan and stir over high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and maintain over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the syrup has thickened slightly.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. When cooked, remove baklava from the oven and immediately pour the cooled syrup evenly over the surface. Stand to cool completely. Cover with foil and store at room temperature in the tin for up to 2 weeks.
Cut into diamond shapes to serve with espresso coffee or as a dessert with whipped cream.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #371
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Anyone got a good and authentic recipe for Baklava?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post

Anyone want a recipe for Baklava? I used to make this every Christmas and it always got rave reviews. It is quite time consuming though (you have to brush every single piece of phyllo dough with melted butter), but if someone thinks they may use it I'll post it.

I've been on a pumpkin kick lately. Pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin spice cake, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins.

Pumpkin. I'm afraid I'm going to find myself in a pumpkin patch, just gnawing on them.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #372
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank you VP! Indra, I would love the recipe if you have time
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #373
Forum Moderator

What fell short about the recipe you used, dan? Texture, sweetness level, spices missing, etc. ...?

I make baklava all the time back home, though I've never actually used a recipe (sorry!), and in any case I've never made the Turkish variety, which is quite different from the Greek or Lebanese varieties that are more common here. Your recipe looks to me like the Greek variety (which is the style I most often make, though I use olive oil instead of butter, no pistachios, and some cloves in addition to the cinnamon). But the Turkish baklavas I've seen use a thicker type of phyllo made with eggs (and lots of it--many layers), a sugar-only syrup (no honey), and a pistachio filling which often includes a type of clotted cream, but no other nuts and no spices. Granted, Turkey's a big place, so it could well be that that's actually a style unique to some particular region which most Turkish-Americans happen to come from, but I was just wondering if maybe that's also the style you're aiming for, and therefore part of the reason why you found that recipe dissatisfying.

I'll also be interested to see indra's recipe though, good luck with it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #374
Galeonbroad

VP Care to post a couple of pumpkin recipes? My mother wants to buy a couple for decoration and asked me if I knew any good recipes, since the soup my dad made of them in the past was horrible.

I thought of this thread immediately, since in N-A it's quite a popular thing for Halloween right? I'd be most interested in sweet dishes if possible, cakes cookies and muffins sound good to me!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #375
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Ooohhh, my mom and I toiled for about 4 hours making about 4 trays of baklava last year. It was quite expensive, but since we gave them out as gifts it worked out great... and it was delicious!
One slight difference in the syrup is that we used a slice or two of orange and some cinnamon sticks. We also buttered each individual filo sheet, or maybe 2 at a time in order to get it extra fluffy.
I don't know where my mom got her recipe from, but it's likely old as her Turkish roots go back to her grandmother/great-grandmother.

I just read the whole thread as I'm on the prowl for this year's Christmas ideas. I've toyed with attempting petit fours for a while now and I think I might actually do it this year.

We made these Halloween cupcakes last year and I'll probably do them again for my party this year: