The Interference Recipe thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok well this photo does it no justice at all, but it was delicious. We decided to just leave the cake as is and let people put the Baileys sauce on if they wanted because some of us prefer just the cake. (Half the cake is still in the baking pan here) The cakes also rose nice and high but of course the photos make them look flat. They weren't. We just made the 2 8in rounds and the extra made warm cupcakes from the oven to die for.

Guinnesschocolatecake3-17-2010.jpg

but topping off this meal tonight, it was amazing :drool: Thanks for the recipe!

Guinness3-17-20101.jpg

:up: looks like a yummy St Patty's day meal! I'm glad you made the cake. It's worth a trip to the store for that pint!

I'm very proud of myself. I just threw together something fantastic for dinner just by improvising. I cut up part of a huge chicken breast and cooked it in about a tablespoon of butter with sliced portabella mushrooms, a little garlic powder and Italian seasoning, and shredded parmesan and provolone cheese added at the very end.

Portabella mushrooms make everything better.

I made Irish Soda Bread for Easter dinner, and it reminded me that I hadn't yet posted the recipe here--keep it for next year. :D

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup oats, uncooked
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
2 cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, put 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup, then add milk to make 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, oats, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk gradually, mixing with your hands as the dough becomes stiff. Pat dough into a large circle loaf and place on a buttered baking sheet. Cut an X across the surface of the loaf about 1/2 inch deep. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet about 30 minutes. Serve warm with butter. Makes one big round loaf.

To go with your Irish Soda Bread:

Shepherd's Pie

1 pound ground beef
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole kernel golden sweet corn, drained
1 can 914-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
Boxed mashed potatoes for 6 servings
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Brown beef in large skillet; drain. Stir in undrained tomatoes, carrots, corn, and peas. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package instructions. Drop potatoes in mounds atop the meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.

So, I was randomly given brisket. I've never ever cooked anything like this before, any advice on how to do this well, and fairly easily?

So, I was randomly given brisket. I've never ever cooked anything like this before, any advice on how to do this well, and fairly easily?
Hmm, haven't had brisket in years, but I more or less remember how to do it. The most important thing is to cook it slowly and gently--for example, if oven-roasting, about 4 hours at around 300F for a 4-lb. brisket, until it gives easily when a knife is inserted, should be about right. Also, if you're the type who always trims fatty cuts of meat, don't trim brisket until after cooking; otherwise, you risk it cooking up flavorless and tough. Ideally, it should really be marinated first with whichever seasonings you're planning to use, then after cooking refrigerated for actual serving a day later (very gently reheated), when the flavors have had more time to meld...but you're probably straying beyond "fairly easy" territory at that point.

The classic Southern Jewish preparation for brisket, which was the way I always had it growing up, involves oven-roasting it with Coca-Cola (which tenderizes it very nicely) and a French onion soup-type stock. Pat dry and lightly salt the brisket, give it a nice sear in its own fat in an ovenproof stockpot, remove, drain off most of the fat, then gently saute a couple onions and carrots and several cloves of garlic in the remaining fat, until browning. Add about half a cup of cooking sherry and deglaze (bring it to a boil, then allow to reduce to a glaze, scraping the browned onions and garlic off the bottom as it reduces). Put the brisket back in the pot, along with enough Coke, water, and good-quality soy sauce (a 3:3:1 ratio should be about right) to almost cover the other ingredients. (You could also add, to your taste, some paprika, cayenne, peppercorns, bay leaves, or whatever else you like at this point.) Then cover the stockpot and put it in the oven to roast, checking occasionally to see if it needs more water.

Also, while I've never made the below recipe, only eaten the time-consuming slow-smoked original version, I can vouch for the overall quality of the blog it's from:

Homesick Texan - Oven-Roasted "BBQ" Brisket

I don't think hubby goes to all that trouble :wink: Maybe he'll see this thread when he gets home. I think he puts water in the bottom of the roasting pan or pyrex dish, along with onions. I'm sure a French Onion Soup mix would work too. But the rest I'm not sure. We just had one the other night too :hmm: :scratch:

Someone randomly gave you a giant slab 'o beef? :wink:

This is as easy as it gets:

Take 2 onions. Chop one up any way you like. Spread on bottom of large pyrex baking dish (large enough for the meat).

Take brisket. Salt & pepper liberally. Put in dish on top of onions, fat side up (or down, doesn't matter). Sprinkle paprika on top of meat. Take other onion, slice thinly(1/4 inch thick max) and lay slices single layer on top of brisket. If some onion is still left, just chop and put rest in around the meat. Pour in water around meat (not on top of your onion covered beef masterpiece) at least one inch high (near top of meat) and your ready for the oven.

These are easy and any or all can be added to dish. One pack onion dip mix (mix into a little water to dissolve powder). Couple tablespoons catsup(also mixed into some water first). One or two carrots and/or celery sliced (or whole). Couple cloves of garlic, whole or crushed.

Throw in 300 degree oven and cook 3 hours. Check water at this point (or earlier if your nervous. It's gotta have water). You want maybe 1/2 inch in there still cuz this is your gravy/au jus. Add water if needed. You can add potato chopped into large pieces at this point if you want, just spread in water around brisket. (If you find you have too much water at the check time, the potato will do a good job of bringing that down). Cook another hour or two. You'll know it's done cuz it will just kinda fall apart when pushed. I find 5 hours is usually good. Enjoy!

As Yolland mentioned, it's better the next day. You can let it cool, throw it as is in the fridge (dish and all) and slice it the next day. Then reheat.

Yolland your recipe sounds amazing, but I'm going with Hardy's here. Don't think I can screw this up too badly XD

Have you cooked this yet?

If not, as Yolland mentioned, it's gotta be covered. Otherwise the meat will dry out. If you use a pyrex dish, aluminum foil works just fine.

And if there are leftovers, chop it up and heat it with your favorite bbq sauce. Get a roll and voila.... killer bbq beef sandwiches :up:

We love that soda bread recipe!

I think my favorite thing I had in Ireland was at Jola's in Kinsale: chicken breast stuffed with tomato basil and pistachios, mashed potatoes, cabbage with fennel, and cauliflower. Or maybe it was at Paddy's in Killarney: roast pork loin, turnips, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and soda bread. :drool: So much good food, so little time . . . .

^OMG I am right with you, MsPurrl! We ate in Kinsale and Killarney and I have to say the chicken and porkk were the BEST I have EVER tasted in all my life! Same with the veggies. I was in England last month and the food was the same, excellent everywhere we went, even the Indian and Nepalese food we had was far superior to that I've had here in the States. The fruits and veg in Sainsburys and Tescos and at Farmer stands were so huge colorful and delicious than what we get in the states. Not sure what that is all about, but I can say I ate so well on both my trips to the UK. Add to the list Meat Pies, Bubble & Squeak, mushy peas, Fish & Chips, fresh scones, cream tea, Hot full Irish and English Breakfasts....the list is endless!! :heart:

Back
Top Bottom