Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #166
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Does anyone have a lemon cake recipe?? I looked at the sites I usually use and all the "recipes" are boxed white or yellow cake mix with some lemon flavoring added. I am not using a boxed cake mix.
you'd be surprised at how many boxed cakes we make at my work when we're in a hurry. I hate it but it's easier to just add water, which is all our mixes require, than to measure everything out when we're baking in huge quantities. But when I'm baking at home I just absolutely refuse to use a box

As much as I don't like Martha Stewart's personality, the Martha Stewart trademark has some amazing things. The recipes are written by Pastry Chefs but just have her name slapped on the book. I think you'd enjoy the book "Martha Stewarts Baking Handbook" or better yet, a book by Wayne Gisslen called "Professional Baking." That one is a Le Cordon Bleu cookbook. I learned all of the ins and outs of recipes through these two books. On top of the technical aspects of recipes and baking techniques, they include lots of recipes and variations of the recipes. The Le Cordon Bleu baking book is something I will probably use as a reference for many years to come.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #167
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Thank you, I'll look at those books! They sound great. I got "The Professional Pastry Chef" by Bo Friberg for my birthday. It seems pretty cool so far, I haven't had time to make much from it yet though.

neutral @ interference.com
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #168
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Please excuse the crappy camera phone pics but these are the cake balls I made today. I'm giving these out for Valentines, if I can ever finish enough of them.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #169
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Cake balls. The best kind of balls.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #170
War Child

Oooh, those look good! Recipe?

Here's the layer cake:

Blueberry-Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

2 cups plus 6 tablespoons cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh blueberries (about three 4.4 ounce packages)

1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
Lemon peel strips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch diameter cake pans with 1 1/2 inch high sides. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, butter paper. Dust pans with flour. Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Transfer 1 tablespoon flour mixture to large bowl. add fresh blueberries and coat. Set remaining flour mixture and blueberries aside.

Stir whole milk, vanilla extract and grated lemon peel in small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in another large bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture in 3 additions each, just until blended. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter equally among pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks, 10 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen. Turn cakes out onto racks to cool completely. Peel off parchment paper.

Transfer 1 cake layer to platter. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over cake layer. Top with another cake layer, spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with third cake layer. Spread remaning frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish cake with lemon peel strips, if desired.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and buter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until just firm enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #171
The Fly

Are those red and white sprinkles on the cake balls? Or are they mini candies? Those look yummy.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #172
The Fly

Not sure if it's been posted, but does anyone have a recipe for red velvet cake? I made some killer lemon zest icing, but the cake was kinda dry and flat
Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #173
New Yorker

Goddamnit, my cake volcanoed again.

WHAT am I doing wrong??!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #174
arw
Blue Crack Addict

what kind of cake?

you're probably over filling the pan.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #175
New Yorker

Nah, it wasnt even half full.

Its something like this, just a basic sponge cake mix:

6oz (175gm) Self Raising flour
6oz Caster Sugar
6oz Margerine
1tsp baking powder
3 eggs
vanilla essence

I remember my cookery teacher saying it was to do with a certain ingredient, but I cant for the life of me remember which. People have been saying its baking powder, but I deliberately didnt put a whole teaspoon in to see if it was.

Doesnt help that my oven is shite, and even though I turn it down to compensate for fan oven settings, it STILL burns stuff. Can you microwave cake?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #176
arw
Blue Crack Addict

margarine in a sponge cake? Does it call for that? Well does it even call for butter? I've never made a basic sponge cake with any fat, including egg yolks.

However, if your recipe does call butter/marg here's a huge difference between butter and margarine so that could be the problem. Margarine contains huge amounts of water and will kill just about any cake recipe that calls for butter.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #177
New Yorker

...Im sorta surprised at your surprise at not needing butter. Pretty much any cake mix Ive seen uses either marg/butter. (Im in the UK though, if that makes a difference to cake mix...)

It does call for margerine, but butter can be used if you dont have any. Its a victoria-sponge type sponge cake if that clears anything up.

Ill have to try and fix it cos Im expected to make another tomorrow. Damn cake-eating family.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #178
arw
Blue Crack Addict

the sponge cakes that I've made do not have butter. It's a light fluffy cake with only egg whites, sugar, flour and a few other ingredients but never any fat.

I looked up Victorian sponge cakes and they all say to use butter, not margarine. That's the only thing I can come up with to cause your cake to explode.....
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #179
New Yorker

Right, I did it again tonight, but turned the oven waaaay down to 110-120C.

It turned out really good! I was actually in disbelief that it was such a good shape and colour, I thought it mustnt have cooked in the middle.

Bet it tastes like crap now.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #180
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn up the AC View Post
Not sure if it's been posted, but does anyone have a recipe for red velvet cake? I made some killer lemon zest icing, but the cake was kinda dry and flat
This might be too late (guessing you were wanting it for Valentine's Day) but i have one now. I have a coworker that makes a really wonderful and moist red velvet cake. I was lucky enough to get the recipe from him this week (been wanting to get it for awhile ) and I can send it to you if you like. I was a little shocked to see it has 3 cups of oil for the fat, though. This will definitely be a very special occasion recipe.