The Interference Recipe thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want chickpea burger with tahani. Should go great with the pita bread I just made. :drool:
How about falafel? If you serve them with the traditional tahini sauce, it fits the description pretty close. I don't actually follow a recipe, but this is roughly what I use (for 2 adults and 3 kids).

tahini sauce:

1 c. tahini
juice of a large lemon
about 1/2 c. water
chopped clove of garlic
about a tsp. cumin
salt & pepper to taste
pinch cayenne
several sprigs chopped parsley

Blend everything except the last two in a food processor (or a blender, or whip by hand) until creamy and smooth, then stir in cayenne and parsley.

falafel:

1 c. dried chickpeas
1/2 c. dried split favas (aka split broad beans, habas peladas)
about 4 chopped green onions
about 6 chopped cloves garlic
about 2/3 bunch chopped cilantro
about a tbsp. cumin
about 1/2 tsp. cayenne
about 1/2 tsp. pepper
couple tsp. salt
about a tsp. baking powder
(oil for deep-frying)

The night before you make the falafel, put the beans in cold water to soak. Be sure to drain them very thoroughly. Finely chop the beans in a food processor, then add the rest of the ingredients (except oil) and process into a *coarse* paste, checking for texture: take a bit in your hand and squeeze; if it crumbles, add a tsp. or so of water to the mix--you don't want it oozing water, though. If you don't have a food processor, this part can be done with a blender, meat grinder or a sturdy mortar and pestle. (Also, you can stop after this step and refrigerate or freeze the mix for later use.)

Take small lumps of the mix--a tablespoon or so--and press and pat with your hands into patties, about 1"-2" wide and 1/4"-1/2" thick (smaller = crunchier). Heat about an inch of oil in a deep heavy pan, until a small bit of the mix bubbles vigorously when dropped in. Fry 4 to 6 falafel at a time, turning occasionally, until deep golden brown (should take just a few minutes). Drain on paper towels or a rack.

Serve with warm soft pita, the tahini sauce, hot sauce (Louisiana-style works well, but so do lots of others), and whatever pickles and veg trimmings you like. If you don't want to bother with the tahini sauce, you could also use storebought tzatziki (the yogurt-herb sauce for gyros), which is very similar to a sauce used on falafel in some parts of the Middle East.

You can use all-chickpeas in falafel; I just think the chickpea/fava blend, which is actually more common in the Middle East, gives a better taste and texture. And if you don't want to deep-fry, falafel can also be pan-fried, though the texture isn't nearly as good IMO.

this thread was on page two :tsk:

blueberry pancakes:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch cream of tartar
2 cups fresh blueberries
Butter

Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, oil, milk, and vanilla extract.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Mix together until flour is just incorporated.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter just until incorporated. Let set for 15 minutes.

Heat a nonstick pan or cast iron griddle over medium heat. Brush with the butter and heat until the butter just begins to sizzle. Scoop scant 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan or onto the griddle and add blueberries. Cook until bubbles appear on the top surface and the bottom is golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Flip over and cook until the bottom is lightly golden brown, about 45 seconds. Remove to a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven.

end result (ignore the crappy cameraphone quality):
mailm.jpg

:bump:
so, my schedule is about to change drastically. i'm looking for a healthy breakfast on the go that can last me for 5 hours (i don't get a break, this is gross anatomy lab, i probably won't want to eat during it anyway!) i also won't be able to make anything that morning before hand. i really need something to just stuff in my bag and go.

i hate those processed shakes that are loaded with sugar, so i'd prefer to stay away from those. i'm looking for something i can eat on-the-go that isn't loaded with fats or sugars. any advice?

i'm also lactose intolerant, so i prefer to stay away from the yogurt. however, i do have pills to take if it ends up being my best choice. we'll call yogurt plan b. :)

There's soy yoghurt available here, that might be an option?

Otherwise, the healthiest breakfast is a self made sandwich. Don't go for white bread, dark bread and with more grains fill you up faster and will let you feel full for longer.
You can make them the night before, put the bread in a bag and in the fridge. That way it'll stay fresh.

i hate those processed shakes that are loaded with sugar, so i'd prefer to stay away from those. i'm looking for something i can eat on-the-go that isn't loaded with fats or sugars. any advice?

You can get some excellent shakes that aren't loaded with sugar, but you will have to go to a specialty store and probably pay 2x what you'd ordinarily pay for such a shake.

When I was in a real hurry, I'd always buy a carton of egg whites and the night before I'd chop up a half a red pepper and some onion and put them in a Ziploc baggie in the fridge. Then in the morning, I'd simply sautee that mix for like 2 minutes max, pour in some egg whites and the whole thing was done in less than 5 minutes. Loaded with protein, no fat, etc. You can always eat a piece of toast with it too if you want some more carbs.

:bump:
so, my schedule is about to change drastically. i'm looking for a healthy breakfast on the go that can last me for 5 hours (i don't get a break, this is gross anatomy lab, i probably won't want to eat during it anyway!) i also won't be able to make anything that morning before hand. i really need something to just stuff in my bag and go.

So it needs to be something you can just grab and eat on the train or in the car? Thinking... :hmm:

Ah I was gonna say oatmeal until you said on the go so i guess that doesn't work, although I do the instant (plain only because there's no added sugar and I hate it too sweet), microwaves in 2 minutes, and I eat it in the car sometimes, tho it isn't very convenient. But it keeps me full for hours and I sometimes slice fresh strawberries on it and that makes it :drool:

thanks so much for all your tips, everyone! i should have also mentioned that i'll be at the gym right before class, so i really do only have a few minutes to eat something filling inbetween.

this week i'm going to try hard boiled eggs, fruit, and a granola. let's see how it goes.

Tossed salad can be stored the night before, in an air tight container. Slice the tomatoes, but don't add them to the lettuce until morning. Also, single serving packs of salad dressing can be purchased at most supermarkets.

Anyone know anything healthy to help gain weight? I know most people are trying to lose I on the other hand am trying to gain, I lost 10 pounds without even trying I eat like crazy, and my doc didnt like that. I've also been a couple pounds under but dropping from 110 to 99 in a couple of months is bad:reject:

Anyone know anything healthy to help gain weight? I know most people are trying to lose I on the other hand am trying to gain, I lost 10 pounds without even trying I eat like crazy, and my doc didnt like that. I've also been a couple pounds under but dropping from 110 to 99 in a couple of months is bad:reject:

I have no actual science background for this at all, but I would say you should try eating things with good fats in them and lots of protein:

Nuts, avocados, beans, olives

(Oh! If I could get a doctor's order to eat guacamole :happydance: )

Mark

Any ideas about an easy grilled steak marinade?

If you don't mind a bit of asian influences, an easy marinade I know is:

4 tbsp Sake(Dry sherry could be used as well)
4 tbsp Soy Sauce
4 tbsp Mirin(Japanese cooking wine, can be found at an Asian toko, otherwise just use more Sake)
1-2 tbsp sugar

It's best if you can put the meat in it the night before, that way the taste goes into the meat.

When I was in a real hurry, I'd always buy a carton of egg whites and the night before I'd chop up a half a red pepper and some onion and put them in a Ziploc baggie in the fridge. Then in the morning, I'd simply sautee that mix for like 2 minutes max, pour in some egg whites and the whole thing was done in less than 5 minutes. Loaded with protein, no fat, etc. You can always eat a piece of toast with it too if you want some more carbs.

Or stick it all into a flour tortilla, wrap it in foil, and it's good to go.

Does anyone know any good stovetop desserts that can be made without dairy (I'm allergic)? We're in Hong Kong for the year with only a two-burner stovetop, a wok, and a stockpot to work with--no oven--and I'd like to come up with a few desserts to serve on occasion. All I really know how to do off the top of my head are a few deep-fried, fritter-type things, and then there's fruit salad of course, but I was hoping for something with a more 'comfort food'-type flavor and texture.

this one´s if you like it spicy

Original Jamaican Jerk Chicken

1 chicken or, alternatively, 6 chicken filets (about 2 pounds)
1 fresh Scotch bonnet pepper
4-5 cloves of fresh garlic
1 onion
Pimento
Jerk Seasoning (Karjos Easispice)
Browning sauce (Benjamin´s)
Hot Pepper sauce (Geddy´s)

1 day before.
Cut and clean the chicken -> should be midsized pieces, without skin. Bones only if you like, at the jerk stands they will sel it with bones but it´s finer without
or: cut the chicken filets in midsized pieces (3 or 4 pieces per filet)

put butter in the pan/ casserolle/ whatever u use. chicken goes inside.

then put a lil salt and the Easispice seasoning over. Make sure to use enough of seasoning and add some extra pimento. mix it.

cut the scotch bonnet pepper into little pieces (u may a glove to cut it, it´s so hot it may burn your hands), same for the garlic. add it to the jerk pot. mix it.

What is Scotch Bonnet pepper?

cut onion into rings, add it, mix it.

add a few sprinkles of browning sauce, mix the whole thing up with your hands until all the meat sucks the marinade.

-> into the fridge for a night.

next day give the prepared chicken an extra shot of jerk seasoning on the top. grill it on naked flame, if you have the chance. if not, into the oven at 180 degrees for 3/4 of an hour. when it´s in the oven, add a little beer or white wine after 20 minutes. this is going to be a yummy spicy browning chicken sauce.

sidedishes: rice and/or beans is the original sidedish, add cooked or grilled potatoes, it´s a good combination. some onions and mushrooms fried in oil recommended as well. a salad (tomato/corn) is fine for chilling when it gets too hot.

sauces: before of serving, sprinkle some geddy´s hot sauce over chicken. OR alternatively use fresh green or red scotch bonnet pepper sauce :combust:

Back
Top Bottom