The Frightfully Ghoulish Halloween Thread 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice.

As I've gotten older, Halloween has really started to become my favorite holiday, and one of my favorite times of the entire year.

I've sort of just learned to appreciate the whole atmosphere of the holiday, and the season. The weather, the colors, the imagery, the smell of leaves (burnt or not), the cheesy and campy horror movie marathons on TV (I'm excited to see what movies AMC will be showing on their annual "Fear Fest" this year), listening to Halloween themed music, everything.

I think I shared a similar sentiment in your Halloween thread last year, JT. Anyway, it's just awesome. Love, love, love this shit. Probably looking forward to Halloween more this year than I ever have.

All that said, I don't have any fucking clue what my costume will be. If anybody has any cool ideas, I'm all ears.

How much you looking to spend, Gaffer?

I love the old horror movie marathons too. Probably my favourite holiday as well. I'm throwing a party this year. I'm looking forward to spookifying the house

Like! That's one of my favorite movies. :love:

Me too! I watch it every Halloween (got started early this year and watched it last week)

How much you looking to spend, Gaffer?

Not very much, ha.

Probably somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks, I guess.

Also, I've only seen the first half of American Werewolf In London, but I really enjoyed it. Caught it on TV around Halloween time. Hopefully I can catch the full thing this season.

Me too! I watch it every Halloween (got started early this year and watched it last week)

Hey JT, what are some of the other movies that you watch every Halloween? Can you make a little list or something? I'd be very curious to see what your traditional "must watch" movies are at that time of year. I'm going to try to watch a ton of horror movies this Halloween, and wouldn't mind some suggestions.

That goes for anybody else, as well.

Rocky Horror. Have to watch it every Halloween. Same with Ghostbusters (but not the crappy sequel with Peter MacNichol) and The Addams Family (but not the crappy sequel with Peter MacNichol...I'm sensing a trend here...). Halloween is, for me, for watching bad horror films, too. Like Communion with Christopher Walken and the Coppola version of Dracula, stuff that'd be on MST3K if it were still around.

Speaking of, this is what I'll be going as for Halloween.

7hu2U4T6Cp6bpo526tNWuzQYo1_500.jpg

Been Tish for nearly every Halloween for twenty years. Maybe I'll change things up and go as Wednesday this year.

Hey JT, what are some of the other movies that you watch every Halloween? Can you make a little list or something? I'd be very curious to see what your traditional "must watch" movies are at that time of year. I'm going to try to watch a ton of horror movies this Halloween, and wouldn't mind some suggestions.

I usually try to watch some that I havent seen as well, but I try to leave room for

An American Werewolf in London
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original. Might be my favourite pure horror movie)
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead
Psycho
28 Days Later
Nosferatu
House of 1000 Corpses

Some of the really old classics are fun to watch too:

Frankenstein
The Mummy
The Wolfman
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Any of the Hammer Horrors

And anything with Vincent Price in it.

I also slip in an episode or two of The Hilarious House of Frightenstein (Maybe only Canadians will remember that show. Was my favourite when I was about 5)

Hilarious House of Frightenstein Opening - YouTube

Got Tiger Edge out of hiding! w00t!

I hang out in FYM from time to time. :wink: I read a lot, I just don't bother to post. This seems like an innocent enough thread for now though.

Anyway, I watched the original TexasCM a few years back when I first starting liking horror. It nearly made me vomit. Not from the gore, but that scene where the girl is stuck in the chair just screaming for minutes and minutes :vomit:
It just got me nauseated. The only other movie to ever get me nauseous is Hostel. The honey mustard eye scene. :yuck:

Other Halloween favorites/films:
The Shining, The Omen, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary as the standards
Shaun of the Dead
Quarantine (I've not seen [REC] yet though)
Four Rooms
White Dog
Hocus Pocus :)dance:)
The Witches
Motel Hell (pretty bad, but a good movie to MST to)
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1997 version, for maximum MST effect)
Troll 2 (even better if paired with Best Worst Movie)

In October I also try to check out as many episodes of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" on YouTube as possible. It's more of a nostalgia than horror thing.
(Notable eps for me: "The Tale of Laughing in the Dark", "The Tale of the Super Specs", "The Tale of the Full Moon", "The Tale of the Curious Camera", "The Tale of Station 109.1")

on this year's plate: Westworld

The only "Must-Watch" on Halloween for me is the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Everything else pretty much depends on mood/what's on. I fill up on cheesy horror though, that's for sure. I usually try to wait to start til October though, just the (weird) way I am.

However, Friday evening, I will definitely be seeing American Werewolf in London. I'm not sure why I still haven't seen that one.

Hey, Jive, did you ever get a better picture of your costume from last year? I was always kind of curious to see a full body shot of that one.

Eh, changed my mind and ended up watching My Soul to Take. Reviewed it in the review thread, but yeah, it does the job.

Hey, Jive, did you ever get a better picture of your costume from last year? I was always kind of curious to see a full body shot of that one.

If you creep facebook you can see some full shots. I don't tag myself in many pictures, so they aren't buried very deep. The only problem was the Flash really reflected differently off the seams of the mask than it did at any other part, so the pictures make it look shittier than it actually did. The seams weren't invisible, but they were a lot better than they look there

My brother, his wife, my son, and I are going to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. My brother and my son are going as Walter and The Dude from "The Big Lebowski", but my sister-in-law and I have no ideas . . . .

I'm going to try and watch at least one horror movie per day from here on out. Today, I finally see Trick 'R Treat.

Oh hell, this movie's as good as everyone says it is. A little disjointed, but definitely a quality Halloween flick.

My brother, his wife, my son, and I are going to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. My brother and my son are going as Walter and The Dude from "The Big Lebowski", but my sister-in-law and I have no ideas . . . .

:up: Disney during October is brilliant. Well Disney during any holiday season is brilliant, but the Halloween/Fall decorations are top notch!
They will not allow masks though, so keep it in mind.

I've been meaning to go back and watch some of the original The Night Stalker series with Darren McGavin as reporter Carl Kolchak:

The Night Stalker (TV 1972) - IMDb

darren-mcgavin-kolchak-the-night-stalker.jpg

Jive, which incarnation of Jack are you going as?

Either the Jack that first appears at the hospital or the second time when he's sort of green and just starting to decompose. I'm leaning toward the latter

Jive Turkey said:
Either the Jack that first appears at the hospital or the second time when he's sort of green and just starting to decompose. I'm leaning toward the latter

Latter would be easier and maybe more recognizable, bit the former, if you can pull it off, would be creepier.

I'm worried about having to match skin tone. I'm pretty good at all the other stuff, but I've never tried to match skin tone before and imagine it takes quite a bit of skill. And besides, if I'm decomposing Jack, at least if people havent seen the movie, they'll just think I'm a zombie

And I've already started decorating my house for the party (I'm a huge nerd, I know).

Back
Top Bottom