Tattoos (and piercing) continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I finally got my nose pierced earlier this year and now I don't know why I waited so long. I'm now thinking about a Marilyn on the opposite side above my lip. I'm not sure if it will be too much, and also ridiculously painful. It seems there is a small window of space between facial muscles where it hurts a lot less for afterwards whenever you smile. The piercer I used is great, totally grumpy and odd, but a true expert, so I'd use her again. I dunno. It's so potentially painful and I don't like pain. Does anyone have one above their lip?

As for tatts, I still want my foot done. I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist, for my diabetes. Just can't bring myself to do something so permanent. And painful.
:shifty:

Angela Harlem said:
I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist,

:

That actually sounds cool. Way cooler than people who get their own names tattooed there like that. I never understood that. You planning on forgetting your name anytime soon? It's one thing if it's your kid's name, a parent or grandparent, etc. but your own name? Can anyone explain this to me?

I have a German Shepherd on my left foot. Got it last July (my friend got paw prints).
5887384451_97b2f0ceff.jpg

5913452409_a06126f5af.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a little snitch on the inside of my left heel. Not sure if I want the wings open or back.
7223302790_cb52a7d3bd.jpg

That actually sounds cool. Way cooler than people who get their own names tattooed there like that. I never understood that. You planning on forgetting your name anytime soon? It's one thing if it's your kid's name, a parent or grandparent, etc. but your own name? Can anyone explain this to me?

Haha, true, huh. It advertises the person as entirely narcissistic, which is of course a very attractive feature of a person, loving themselves so unconditionally. Do they want others to wish them and themselves a long, happy life together? :cute:

With the IDDM, is that something you would notice if you found someone passed out? I've got a medic alert dog chain, but I don't imagine it would be the most convenient way to get a fast idea of why I happen to be unconscious at some random place. And would most ambos recognise the abbreviation? A lot of diabetics like the whole word written, but it's such a long word, and an unattractive one at that. I think IDDM could be made much prettier. Plus, it's highly unlikely there will be a cure in my lifetime, thanks to all the research being funded by Roche, Abbott, medtronic, etc. Bastards.

Love your shepherd, lies. Why the snitch? Just because? I really like the last two.:up:

I've always wanted a tattoo but which one and where to get it has never fully been decided.

These are the choice decisions...

On my foot (less detailed):
44715d585b4b81d8738410c86be2691a.jpg

On my wrist:
paw prints (not unlike Lies' friends just smaller)

Along the side of my foot (by my heel/ankle):
Navi_Artwork.png

Love your shepherd, lies. Why the snitch? Just because? I really like the last two.:up:

I want something small and simple for that spot. I'm not really into hearts, stars, paw prints, clovers or the usual stuff. It's not even that I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (I am a fan, probably not considered huge) but HP has been part of my life for the past 13 years, and looking back I'll probably always feel those were the best 13 years of my life (age 14 to 27). My aunt used to write reviews of children's lit and pushed us to read the first HP before it was even released in the USA, so we have followed it from the very start, before it was popular at all (and at the time I thought it was going to be really dumb, but my mom would read it aloud to my younger siblings and I'd creep up behind the couch and listen). I tend to make strong associations between books, music, movies, even food and good events, people, places in my life. There are a lot of songs I'll listen to not because they are great songs but because they remind me of special moments. I'm sure everyone has that to some extent. That is what Harry Potter has become for me, something that was always there during some of the best and/or most important parts of my life. In some ways I feel I know some of the characters better than people who've come and gone from my own life. Also like I was saying, my mom read the first book to us. As a kid I *loved* being read to. I'm pretty sure that the first HP book was the last book my mom read aloud to me/us because we outgrew that, but it's still nostalgic for me since I credit my mom for my love of reading and for reading to us every day and showing me the importance of reading. That's just one of many good moments/feelings associated with HP.

It wouldn't have to be a snitch, I just can't think of any other distinctly Harry Potter symbol that would fit where I want it (and match the same style and level of detail as the shepherd). The lightening bolt is too simple, and so far I don't like any of the spells/catch phrases associated with HP.

The Deathly Hallows are too simple too. I thought about getting that symbol tattoo'd but I just bought a necklace instead. I couldn't think of anywhere subtle it would fit. A sorting hat would work too.

Angela Harlem said:
Haha, true, huh. It advertises the person as entirely narcissistic, which is of course a very attractive feature of a person, loving themselves so unconditionally. Do they want others to wish them and themselves a long, happy life together? :cute:

With the IDDM, is that something you would notice if you found someone passed out? I've got a medic alert dog chain, but I don't imagine it would be the most convenient way to get a fast idea of why I happen to be unconscious at some random place. And would most ambos recognise the abbreviation? A lot of diabetics like the whole word written, but it's such a long word, and an unattractive one at that. I think IDDM could be made much prettier. Plus, it's highly unlikely there will be a cure in my lifetime, thanks to all the research being funded by Roche, Abbott, medtronic, etc. Bastards.

I'd probably have checked your blood sugar by the time I noticed it to be honest, because I'm programmed at this point to think oh hey, unconscious person who seems to be unconscious for no apparent reason, they're probably a diabetic. It's the easiest unknown unresponsive thing to figure out (assuming hypothetical ambulance personnel has a working glucometer)I tend to think I wouldn't necessarily read the tatt if I saw it while starting an iv (which is probably when I'd actually see it, and by that point ive already figured out its because im giving you D50 rather than narcan). I've definitely seen a fair number of people with their own names on their wrists, so clearly I've been reading more of these than I think. Agreed about the whole word written out, i wouldnt think that would necessarily be a lot more obvious--unless it was written on giant block letters and drew all kinds of crazy attention to itself, then I guess it would. if there is anyone on an ambulance in the US, Aussieland, or any other English-speaking country that doesn't know the abbreviation, chances are they were going to kill you anyway. Pretty basic knowledge.

The Deathly Hallows are too simple too. I thought about getting that symbol tattoo'd but I just bought a necklace instead. I couldn't think of anywhere subtle it would fit. A sorting hat would work too.

I want something that is, for me, symbolic, rather than something that is already a symbol. The snitch was always part of the story, from the beginning to the end.

I finally got my nose pierced earlier this year and now I don't know why I waited so long. I'm now thinking about a Marilyn on the opposite side above my lip. I'm not sure if it will be too much, and also ridiculously painful. It seems there is a small window of space between facial muscles where it hurts a lot less for afterwards whenever you smile. The piercer I used is great, totally grumpy and odd, but a true expert, so I'd use her again. I dunno. It's so potentially painful and I don't like pain. Does anyone have one above their lip?

As for tatts, I still want my foot done. I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist, for my diabetes. Just can't bring myself to do something so permanent. And painful.
:shifty:

Hey Anna, I don't have my piercing above the lip, but I have snakebites and they hurt a hell of a lot less than I was expecting. The worst part is when they screw the ball on. It can feel really weird for a day or two and it might get in the way a little while you're eating, but it's just a matter of getting used to it really. I can't imagine your one would be too much different. I say go for it!

While I'm here, here are my lip piercings (ignore that stupid expression on my face). I also have each earlobe pierced four times each. I used to have my helix pierced, but I got it done at a really shoddy place and it never healed properly, so I took it out. Next on my list is my eyebrow, and I'm currently planning my first tattoo - it's going to be of my first cat, and I'm getting my amazingly super talented friend to design it for me. Hope to get it around November this year.

photoon260512at923pm.jpg

This is what I want to get soon. I "drew" it using my laptop touchpad onto a stock photo of a foot, so some of the lines are heavier than I intended. It's an outline of a snitch with my grandma's initials. If possible, I'd prefer to have the initials written in script as part of the wings feathers but I'm not sure if that level of detail is possible in this size.

7390848414_4b18e343e1.jpg

7390736582_690337a3ae.jpg

This is what I want to get soon. I "drew" it using my laptop touchpad onto a stock photo of a foot, so some of the lines are heavier than I intended. It's an outline of a snitch with my grandma's initials. If possible, I'd prefer to have the initials written in script as part of the wings feathers but I'm not sure if that level of detail is possible in this size.

7390848414_4b18e343e1.jpg

You should be able to if you find a good tattoo artist. My daughter has this one and was also hoping the detail could be done in the size she wanted. From your example pic there doesn't seem to be too much size difference. Her artist really took his time, and they were both very happy with it. :)

tattoodarktowerfound.jpg

Very nice tattoo , love the placement as well! Must have been a nasty spot.:hmm:

does anybody know anything about those ear lobe expander/tunnel things?

my son has got an 8 mm tunnel right now, but is wondering how big he can go but still have the option of it healing up if he changes his mind later on - i think he's fine as he is and would be worried if he goes any bigger, but he kind of thinks the bigger the better lol

does anybody know anything about those ear lobe expander/tunnel things?

my son has got an 8 mm tunnel right now, but is wondering how big he can go but still have the option of it healing up if he changes his mind later on - i think he's fine as he is and would be worried if he goes any bigger, but he kind of thinks the bigger the better lol

Pretty much, the larger you go, the less chance you have of your ears returning to normal. It's possible to stretch up to an inch and still return to normal eventually, but it really varies from person to person. The most important part about ear stretching is to take it SLOWLY - never ever skip sizes, and if it hurts, you're probably doing it fast. Use oils to massage the ears, watch out for lobe thinning/blowouts, and make sure you're using the correct jewellery. I expect your son probably knows all that already though :)

Pretty much, the larger you go, the less chance you have of your ears returning to normal. It's possible to stretch up to an inch and still return to normal eventually, but it really varies from person to person. The most important part about ear stretching is to take it SLOWLY - never ever skip sizes, and if it hurts, you're probably doing it fast. Use oils to massage the ears, watch out for lobe thinning/blowouts, and make sure you're using the correct jewellery. I expect your son probably knows all that already though :)

cheers! thanks so much for that! i didn't think about oils - will suggest that for sure! yeah, his friend had a blowout and his lobe looks really unpleasant now and he'll apparently need cosmetic surgery to fix it - i think that made my son think twice about pushing it too far too fast lol

Once you've got gauges the diameter of electrical tape rolls, you're going to look ridiculous regardless of what you do. That's pretty much all I know.

cheers! thanks so much for that! i didn't think about oils - will suggest that for sure! yeah, his friend had a blowout and his lobe looks really unpleasant now and he'll apparently need cosmetic surgery to fix it - i think that made my son think twice about pushing it too far too fast lol

Jojoba oil is meant to be good, and you can buy oils especially formulated for ear stretching to maintain nice healthy lobes! Yeah blowouts are disgusting and pretty much always come from stretching too fast. There are lots of nasty pictures out there of what can go wrong :lol:

Once you've got gauges the diameter of electrical tape rolls, you're going to look ridiculous regardless of what you do. That's pretty much all I know.

Dude they're not called "gauges" ugh. A gauge is the unit of measurement that determines the thickness of the jewellery. The act of ear stretching is called stretching, oddly enough!

Dude they're not called "gauges" ugh. A gauge is the unit of measurement that determines the thickness of the jewellery. The act of ear stretching is called stretching, oddly enough!

That's what we lazy Americans call them.

Slopsy said:
Not all of you it seems, I see Americans bitching about that term all the time!

Probably the ones who have them care about calling them by their rightful name. I generally tend to think they look ridiculous. Your cat ink, however, does not look ridiculous. Not bad at all. :up:

Back
Top Bottom