Tattoos (and piercing) continued... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Tattoos (and piercing) continued...

I finally got my nose pierced earlier this year and now I don't know why I waited so long. I'm now thinking about a Marilyn on the opposite side above my lip. I'm not sure if it will be too much, and also ridiculously painful. It seems there is a small window of space between facial muscles where it hurts a lot less for afterwards whenever you smile. The piercer I used is great, totally grumpy and odd, but a true expert, so I'd use her again. I dunno. It's so potentially painful and I don't like pain. Does anyone have one above their lip?

As for tatts, I still want my foot done. I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist, for my diabetes. Just can't bring myself to do something so permanent. And painful.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem
I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist,

:
That actually sounds cool. Way cooler than people who get their own names tattooed there like that. I never understood that. You planning on forgetting your name anytime soon? It's one thing if it's your kid's name, a parent or grandparent, etc. but your own name? Can anyone explain this to me?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I have a German Shepherd on my left foot. Got it last July (my friend got paw prints).

I'm thinking of getting a little snitch on the inside of my left heel. Not sure if I want the wings open or back.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
That actually sounds cool. Way cooler than people who get their own names tattooed there like that. I never understood that. You planning on forgetting your name anytime soon? It's one thing if it's your kid's name, a parent or grandparent, etc. but your own name? Can anyone explain this to me?
Haha, true, huh. It advertises the person as entirely narcissistic, which is of course a very attractive feature of a person, loving themselves so unconditionally. Do they want others to wish them and themselves a long, happy life together?

With the IDDM, is that something you would notice if you found someone passed out? I've got a medic alert dog chain, but I don't imagine it would be the most convenient way to get a fast idea of why I happen to be unconscious at some random place. And would most ambos recognise the abbreviation? A lot of diabetics like the whole word written, but it's such a long word, and an unattractive one at that. I think IDDM could be made much prettier. Plus, it's highly unlikely there will be a cure in my lifetime, thanks to all the research being funded by Roche, Abbott, medtronic, etc. Bastards.

Love your shepherd, lies. Why the snitch? Just because? I really like the last two.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I've always wanted a tattoo but which one and where to get it has never fully been decided.

These are the choice decisions...

On my foot (less detailed):

On my wrist:
paw prints (not unlike Lies' friends just smaller)

Along the side of my foot (by my heel/ankle):
Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post

Love your shepherd, lies. Why the snitch? Just because? I really like the last two.
I want something small and simple for that spot. I'm not really into hearts, stars, paw prints, clovers or the usual stuff. It's not even that I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (I am a fan, probably not considered huge) but HP has been part of my life for the past 13 years, and looking back I'll probably always feel those were the best 13 years of my life (age 14 to 27). My aunt used to write reviews of children's lit and pushed us to read the first HP before it was even released in the USA, so we have followed it from the very start, before it was popular at all (and at the time I thought it was going to be really dumb, but my mom would read it aloud to my younger siblings and I'd creep up behind the couch and listen). I tend to make strong associations between books, music, movies, even food and good events, people, places in my life. There are a lot of songs I'll listen to not because they are great songs but because they remind me of special moments. I'm sure everyone has that to some extent. That is what Harry Potter has become for me, something that was always there during some of the best and/or most important parts of my life. In some ways I feel I know some of the characters better than people who've come and gone from my own life. Also like I was saying, my mom read the first book to us. As a kid I *loved* being read to. I'm pretty sure that the first HP book was the last book my mom read aloud to me/us because we outgrew that, but it's still nostalgic for me since I credit my mom for my love of reading and for reading to us every day and showing me the importance of reading. That's just one of many good moments/feelings associated with HP.

It wouldn't have to be a snitch, I just can't think of any other distinctly Harry Potter symbol that would fit where I want it (and match the same style and level of detail as the shepherd). The lightening bolt is too simple, and so far I don't like any of the spells/catch phrases associated with HP.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Acrobat

The Deathly Hallows are too simple too. I thought about getting that symbol tattoo'd but I just bought a necklace instead. I couldn't think of anywhere subtle it would fit. A sorting hat would work too.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem

Haha, true, huh. It advertises the person as entirely narcissistic, which is of course a very attractive feature of a person, loving themselves so unconditionally. Do they want others to wish them and themselves a long, happy life together?

With the IDDM, is that something you would notice if you found someone passed out? I've got a medic alert dog chain, but I don't imagine it would be the most convenient way to get a fast idea of why I happen to be unconscious at some random place. And would most ambos recognise the abbreviation? A lot of diabetics like the whole word written, but it's such a long word, and an unattractive one at that. I think IDDM could be made much prettier. Plus, it's highly unlikely there will be a cure in my lifetime, thanks to all the research being funded by Roche, Abbott, medtronic, etc. Bastards.

I'd probably have checked your blood sugar by the time I noticed it to be honest, because I'm programmed at this point to think oh hey, unconscious person who seems to be unconscious for no apparent reason, they're probably a diabetic. It's the easiest unknown unresponsive thing to figure out (assuming hypothetical ambulance personnel has a working glucometer)I tend to think I wouldn't necessarily read the tatt if I saw it while starting an iv (which is probably when I'd actually see it, and by that point ive already figured out its because im giving you D50 rather than narcan). I've definitely seen a fair number of people with their own names on their wrists, so clearly I've been reading more of these than I think. Agreed about the whole word written out, i wouldnt think that would necessarily be a lot more obvious--unless it was written on giant block letters and drew all kinds of crazy attention to itself, then I guess it would. if there is anyone on an ambulance in the US, Aussieland, or any other English-speaking country that doesn't know the abbreviation, chances are they were going to kill you anyway. Pretty basic knowledge.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
The Deathly Hallows are too simple too. I thought about getting that symbol tattoo'd but I just bought a necklace instead. I couldn't think of anywhere subtle it would fit. A sorting hat would work too.
I want something that is, for me, symbolic, rather than something that is already a symbol. The snitch was always part of the story, from the beginning to the end.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

I've always thought if I ever got the nerve to get a tattoo, I'd love to have this:

But I am the biggest needle wienie in the world!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPurrl View Post
I've always thought if I ever got the nerve to get a tattoo, I'd love to have this:

But I am the biggest needle wienie in the world!
Impossible, that would be my brother.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
Everything happens so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
I finally got my nose pierced earlier this year and now I don't know why I waited so long. I'm now thinking about a Marilyn on the opposite side above my lip. I'm not sure if it will be too much, and also ridiculously painful. It seems there is a small window of space between facial muscles where it hurts a lot less for afterwards whenever you smile. The piercer I used is great, totally grumpy and odd, but a true expert, so I'd use her again. I dunno. It's so potentially painful and I don't like pain. Does anyone have one above their lip?

As for tatts, I still want my foot done. I now also want a small, fine, flourish style IDDM on my wrist, for my diabetes. Just can't bring myself to do something so permanent. And painful.
Hey Anna, I don't have my piercing above the lip, but I have snakebites and they hurt a hell of a lot less than I was expecting. The worst part is when they screw the ball on. It can feel really weird for a day or two and it might get in the way a little while you're eating, but it's just a matter of getting used to it really. I can't imagine your one would be too much different. I say go for it!

While I'm here, here are my lip piercings (ignore that stupid expression on my face). I also have each earlobe pierced four times each. I used to have my helix pierced, but I got it done at a really shoddy place and it never healed properly, so I took it out. Next on my list is my eyebrow, and I'm currently planning my first tattoo - it's going to be of my first cat, and I'm getting my amazingly super talented friend to design it for me. Hope to get it around November this year.

striving for mediocrity in a world of excellence
Slopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post

Along the side of my foot (by my heel/ankle):
HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeongirl View Post
hey! Listen! Hey! Hey! Listen!

watch out!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

This is what I want to get soon. I "drew" it using my laptop touchpad onto a stock photo of a foot, so some of the lines are heavier than I intended. It's an outline of a snitch with my grandma's initials. If possible, I'd prefer to have the initials written in script as part of the wings feathers but I'm not sure if that level of detail is possible in this size.