Social Responsibility - Good sites and resources - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Social Responsibility - Good sites and resources

Besides U2 being one of my favorite bands one of the things that attracted me to Interference was Bono's plight to bring awareness to the issues in Africa. Although I have short hair, I consider myself a green hippy kind of guy deep inside and think it's important that we all work to be socially responsible. When I use the phrase social responsibility I mean it in a pretty broad way. I mean being green (using less energy, trying to recycle, etc), helping other people in your local community and also raising awareness about global issues.

As Interference evolves (mostly the home page content) I'd like to feature more good things people are doing to help make our world a better place. That being said, if you know good links to sites that are on any socially responsible topics, please post them here. We will ended up writing a full article and also trying to partner with many of these sites so we can help each other bring awareness to the viewers of our sites.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Here's a bunch of different ones

AfricaAction.org
TomsShoes
Kiva.org

United Nations Online Volunteering

GreenDaily.com
CoolCities.us
Defenders of Wildlife

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Heifer International: Charitable Gift Giving that Makes a Difference | Heifer International

Play Pumps: http://www.playpumps.org
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Forum Administrator

Great, thanks for posting those. Now we need to find some volunteers to help review and write Bios on these organizations. In a perfect world we could then contact them and show them the Bio and create some banner ads for them to put in the rotation here on Interference. I am really excited to see how we can leverage our community to bring even more awareness to these great causes. If you are interested in volunteering (as much or little as your time allows) please send me a PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Babyface

Local Time: 10:58 AM
There's also Doctors Without Borders.

Also, Pants to Poverty, which I don't know anything about but was featured on the BBC News website recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
If you are interested in volunteering (as much or little as your time allows) please send me a PM.
Only premier members can do that.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:58 AM
You can also email him at andy @ socialknowledge.net
Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Would it also be beneficial to post sites or organizations we know to be scams or not living up to who/what they say they are?
Or is there a better place for visitors or others - to interference, that can check out scumbag like this?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-mad-drongo View Post
Only premier members can do that.
For now please send me an email as Sicy posted andy @ socialknowledge.net (remove the spaces). I hope we can open up PMs for regular members soon though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4u2 View Post
Would it also be beneficial to post sites or organizations we know to be scams or not living up to who/what they say they are?

Or is there a better place for visitors or others - to interference, that can check out scumbag like this?
Maybe we can search for a site that is good for reporting scummy/scammy charities and write an article about it but I'd rather see us keep things on the positive side of things. There is enough bad news out there, lets try to focus on the good stuff here.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Babyface

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Maybe we can search for a site that is good for reporting scummy/scammy charities and write an article about it but I'd rather see us keep things on the positive side of things. There is enough bad news out there, lets try to focus on the good stuff here.
That sounds safer. Let some other website get the threats of legal action for libel if a charity doesn't agree!

Are you just wanting to deal with charities, or also socially responsible businesses? One that springs to mind, unless it's changed drastically since the owner's death, is the Body Shop.

And also ACCION International and the Grameen Bank with their system of microloans for the poor.

Are you thinking about concentrating mostly on Africa or do you want to include organisations which help out anywhere in the world?

How long should these articles be? The standard 500 word sort of thing or do you want something more detailed?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofHarlem01 View Post
Here's another one to add to the list:

OneLaptopPerChild

More information on the organization: Here

I saw the founder giving an interview on tv a few months back and it seems like a really cool project. The computer they've designed for the kids is extraordinary!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is an organization I have some experience with:

Vacations For Veterans is a nonprofit organization created to provide recently wounded veterans of the United States Armed Forces with a week of free lodgings donated by a vacation homeowner.

Support Wounded Veterans
Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Nothing but nets: Home | Nothing But Nets Campaign
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Are you thinking about concentrating mostly on Africa or do you want to include organisations which help out anywhere in the world?
Anywhere in the world is fine. The goal is just to try and help bring some exposure and props to all these fine organizations who help make the world a better place. They could be here in the USA, Africa, or anywhere else.
Quote:
How long should these articles be? The standard 500 word sort of thing or do you want something more detailed?
500 words sounds great but even smaller blog like posts (two paragraph summary of a new article, website review will also work).

The plan right now is to develop our u2.interference.com portal and get that dialed in and a team in place to manage that over time. After that is done we have some work on the InterMedia section of the site and after that is done it will be time to create the Social Responsibility portal. We are going to need to build a team of people to manage this section (just like the other sections will have). We will need editors, writers, bloggers, etc.

So this thread is just like an early brainstorming session for what will become a new section of our site where we feature how we (the people of our earth) work to make our planet better.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Tags
social responsibility