So what's there to do in Dallas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Assming you are going to the SB, there is plenty to do. :up:

Big D is just that, BIG. Near Jerryworld there is a Six Flags (if its open in feb, that is) and plenty of nice hotels you could stay. I know there is a Humperdinks sports bar near six flags thats a decent place for lunch or dinner + beverages. Also there is the museum downtown Dallas where JFK was shot, i cant remember the name of it at the moment. Plenty of other shit... maybe go see the Mavs, etc. Lots of nightlife too in and around Deep Ellum or lower Greenville. Im sure Impy-error could certainly correct me where i am wrong and add much more to this since he is from there.

One word of caution, traffic sucks, but its probably not as bad as what you are used to. I think you will have a good time though.

there's gotta be u2 fans in texas... what's one to do when holed up in dallas in the middle of the winter?
I spent a week there in May a couple years back, and it's by far the most boring city I've ever been to. There was literally nothing going on after 6:00 any night, and I was all around the city.

Can't speak for the middle of winter.

Then you didn't know where to go for the music scene. Not sure how into smaller bands you are, Headache, but if there's any bands you like on this site: GRANADA THEATER: Dallas Historic Live Music Venue and Event Space then that's a nice little venue to visit, imo.

I'm more familiar with Fort Worth, that's where I lived while I was in Texas. If you ever have an interest in all things Texas (Read: Rodeo and cowboy shiz) then you might want to head over to the Fort and check out The Stockyards. Lots of bars there too.

Then of course, there's all the sports venues already mentioned.

I spent a week there in May a couple years back, and it's by far the most boring city I've ever been to. There was literally nothing going on after 6:00 any night, and I was all around the city.

Can't speak for the middle of winter.

thats because nothing starts "happening" till probably 11 or later, you were most likely already in bed by then. :sexywink:

thats because nothing starts "happening" till probably 11 or later, you were most likely already in bed by then. :sexywink:
I had to commute back to my hotel around midnight most nights and there was just ... nothing. Nobody on the trains, nobody in the streets going somewhere, empty restaurants. It was seriously bizarre.

I had to commute back to my hotel around midnight most nights and there was just ... nothing. Nobody on the trains, nobody in the streets going somewhere, empty restaurants. It was seriously bizarre.

well if you are talking the weekend, then i agree that is a bit odd. However, if it was during the week, then not so much. People go to work early in the morning so most are home by midnight i would assume.

My experience would be about the same, Mrs. G, though in FW I think you'd find your fair share of bars closing earlier on weeknights, which might be the norm everywhere, I don't know, I haven't been much of a bar-hopper in my two legal years.

Totally slipped my mind that you were headed to DFW, but I'm glad to give you some advice.

Are you staying in Fort Worth, Dallas, or Arlington? The JFK museum Garrison mentioned (Sixth Floor Museum) is pretty unreal, but might be a pain to get to if you're in FW or the Agg. Highly recommend that to any out of towner. Plus you could easily make an afternoon/evening of that if you go to dinner and hit some bars in the West End after the museum. And since it's not October, you won't have to worry about any toothless Okies running around the West End looking for a fight.

As far as the bar scene goes, they'll close at 2 AM in both Tarrant and Dallas counties. The bar scene in Arlington almost universally blows, so you'd be better off kicking it around Sundance Square if you're in FW or uptown in Dallas. They'll both be hopping given the Super Bowliness of it all. And like Garrison said, Humperdinks is tops for a bar near the Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium, although a lot of people seem to like the Sherlock's on Collins.

I'm happy to give you some restaurant recommendations in all three cities if you're looking for anything in particular.

And yes, Dallas is a big time strip club city, if you're like me and into that sort of thing.

I know nothing of Mckinney avenue, i always thought the hip places were in lower greenville. Then again, i did a search for both McKinney avenue & lower greenville and some of the same clubs come up.

Bing Maps

From looking at the map they seem to be near Highland Park area, which is a wealthy area probably the richest in town (Troy Aikman has a house there i believe). For note, i believe that GWB has a home nearby in Preston Hollow or something like that.

Also University Park is nearby, which is a haven to lots of college students, which is always fun.

Im certainly not in the Dallas loop though, your best bet is to go on what the locals are telling you. Hotel staff would be a good indicator too.

Back
Top Bottom