So Danny might be storming the shores of America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Danny, that's me.

With Nan's inheritance and what not, we've got a bit of money lying around, and Dad has got his heart set on travelling to the States. I was more for Europe, but it's primarily what he wants to do I guess.

So what I'm saying is, I've got or have/had no real desire to go to America, I just don't know what it's like or what I'd want to do...

I know that there's quite an American contingent on this here board, so if you'd be so kind, can you provide some touristy things to do in the U S of A that would be fun or appealing to a could-care-more-could-care-less 19 year old boy? Places to go, basically reasons to bring me around to the idea of going to America?

Seriously, not sure why you'd think there's nothing to do here of interest. Any idea where you'll be headed?

Seriously, not sure why you'd think there's nothing to do here of interest. Any idea where you'll be headed?

it wasn't that, sorry if it seemed that way. i'd just prefer to go to europe i think, obviously there'd be plenty to see and do.

all i know at the moment is we're going to Disneyland.

it wasn't that, sorry if it seemed that way. i'd just prefer to go to europe i think, obviously there'd be plenty to see and do.

all i know at the moment is we're going to Disneyland.

No, I get it, it's just this ideal that people seem to have about visiting the States vs. Visiting Europe. Sure there's going to be more to see and do over there as far as historical significance is concerned, but, you can still find plenty of fun here as well.

Anyways, I don't know that much about Cali save that San Diego is BEAUTIFUL. If you're going anywhere in the Midwest or Texas though, I am all over that.

america's awesome. boom, there's your reason.

cities i recommend: chicago, new york, atlanta, boston. i picked those because not only is there a lot of sightseeing, but they also have great public transportation, so that's not an issue.

in chicago, there's fun things like navy pier, sears tower willis tower sears tower, aquarium (and nearby museums), architecture tours, and the magnificent mile if you care to shop any.

in new york...god, where to start. i've never been so i'll let someone else say what's good there, though you really can't go wrong there.

in atlanta there's not as much stuff, but i picked it because it's in the south, so i gotta represent. i will start by saying i fucking love buckhead, but i'm not sure you guys would find anything of interest there, except maybe seeing the governor's mansion. :lol: but otherwise there's the world of coca-cola museum, aquarium, cnn, and tons of museums.

boston is a good city to visit to experience the sort of old america. there's a metric fuckton of museums. the freedom trail, faneuil hall/quincy market...tons of things.

plus, all these cities have football and baseball teams in case you wanted to catch any games to take in the americana stuff. though i wouldn't suggest going to chicago, new york, or boston during football season, as it gets a bit cold in autumn/winter.

oh, and i beg of you, please please please please don't just visit california and say you've visited the usa. that's like visiting sydney and saying you've been to australia. you have, but hardly.

I've never been, but New York, man. New York. Chicago. Boston. Mount Rushmore/Paha Sapa. All the famous battle sites - Saratago, Yorketown, Oriskany, Little Big Horn. Some of the most amazing natural landscapes on the planet, all over the country. Hollywood. Where most of your favourite celebrities have walked. Where a lot of them have died. Where a bunch of guys signed a constitution for a country that could, sadly, perhaps never be as good as what they idealised. Where everything happens. Honestly, I'm a massive history buff, particularly in Mediterranean history, and I've long thought I'd rather visit America than Europe.

But you should probably make a fake ID first.

DC! DC isn't quite as big as NYC, and not nearly as clean as DT Chicago, but it's fabulous. There's SO MUCH TO DO. Most of the museums are free, too! If you end up in the Adam's Morgan area, you will likely run into Blelvis (Black Elvis!)

Mia raises a good point, D.C. was a blast to visit, but I'm glad I only spent a day there, I don't know what my cousin did there when she spent a week.

San Francisco, Boston, New York are my three favourites.

I do like DC quite a lot, and there is tons to do there but it's very hot and humid in the summer.

I don't much care for LA, but there are some nice things in southern California, and you can always hop over to Arizona or Nevada (both of which I enjoyed).

I actually very much like the American south, but wouldn't recommend it in the summertime.

First off, anyone coming to Atlanta, stay away from Buckhead, there is nothing there but mansions and high end shops and the financial district. If you have loads of money to spend then go to Buckhead, it is also going through a rebuilding period, so it is a bit of a mess at the moment.

If you are coming to Atlanta to party, you go to Midtown and/or the Virgina Highland's area. The hip clubs are in Midtown near the Four Seasons Hotel. Atlanta also has a number of great restaurants too. Touristy things to do in the city: The High Museum of Arts, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, MLK Center, The Carter Center, The Coke Museum, tour CNN, The Georgia Aquarium, ZooAtlanta (not a great Zoo), if you are here in the Spring or Summer, go to a Braves game, if you are here in the Fall, go to a Hawks, Thrashers or a Falcons game. If you like NASCAR, go to Atlanta Motor Speedway or drive over to Alabama to Talladega.

Outside of the city is Stone Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain. There are Civil War battlefields to tour north of the city, such as Kennesaw Mountain and Chickamauga. There is also Lake Lanier for recreation.

You can go down to the coast to Savannah as well Jekyll & St. Simons Islands and head right over the border to Hilton Head.

Drive to north Georgia and you can be in the beautiful North Georgia Mountains.

There is also Athens, go over there. Cool university town and obviously a good music scene over there.

The Georgia Music Hall of Fame at the moment is in Macon.

California is a lovely state, with all climate zones and all kinds of different people. We have a little history here as well. If you really are going to Disneyland, make sure to PM me. I live nearby and I like lunch.

There are U2 sites in SoCal, and the areas around them are lovely enough to interest non-fans. They're also a little in the middle of nowhere, my favorite place to be.

Utah is a don't-miss state. If you want to see "The West" then you must go to Utah. As far as scenery is concerned, it's on the top of the list.

Montana is incredible for scenery and Western landscapes as well. Yellowstone Park should be in the top 3 places you go. DO NOT miss it.

You really must go to DC if you head east. Virginia is beautiful and full of history.

I've been to 49 states and I like history, so I can help out if you need it.

Danny, boy!! You're coming over to the land of sexpportunity? Then you have to swing by New York. It's a must. I'll take you over to McLaren's, introduce you to the group and then you can be my wingman for the night. I'll show you how it's done.

It's going to be awesome and- because I'm awesome - legen.......wait for it.....dary.

oh, and i beg of you, please please please please don't just visit california and say you've visited the usa. that's like visiting sydney and saying you've been to australia. you have, but hardly.

Sorry I couldn't afford too? :wink:

Ohh the US, I wanna go back, I loved it.....

L.A. and New York City are the places to be. I have to run for now but I'll be back with some more details.

Philadelphia gets no love.

because its a shithole :sexywink:

Seriously though, if you are going to come to America dont take everyone's advice and just hit all of the big cities. There's a lot more to this country than that...try the wide open spaces too. Some might say "boring" but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you ever liked the old western movies (or even if you didn't but liked some of the scenery) try and visit the west like Utah (already mentioned, but Zion National park) or Arizona for the Grand Canyon, Wyoming for Devils Tower, Yellowstone, theres Pikes Peak in Colorado, and of course Hollywood in CA and the Pacific Coast Highway. And while we're at it the Redwood forest in northern CA is beautiful and the trees are giant and older than dirt. Washington state has beautiful forests, lakes, mountains like Mt. Rainer, and active volcanos.

If you want to do the east coast then there are a bunch of cities along the eastern seaboard for your shopping pleasure but if you want away from that mess try North Carolina for its beaches and lighthouses, same for South Carolina. Also the Blueridge Parkway in North Carolina is one of the most scenic drives in the land. And there is always Florida.

I guess my point is that if you want to see the sites you dont always have to pay for some big commercial man made ttraction, the beauty of god's own creation is unmatched. Enjoy.

Glad someone mentioned the Pacific Northwest. Stunning stuff to see out here. Then you could hop over the border and see Vancouver and say you've been there, too!

I'm a big proponent of the national parks. See those. Skip Disneyland.

Back
Top Bottom