Selling a car?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
So I have our car for sale. If I can't sell it, we can trade it in or sell it to my sister for $500, but I think I can get $1000 for it. I'm getting e-mails, phone messages, and people stopping by (it's on the front lawn). There are some things wrong with it. Neither of us know much about cars. I have been honest about what I know is wrong with it, and the cosmetic things people can see for themselves. Say someone comes back with $1000 cash. I have the title and I see where Phil signs it over to them, so I assume they take this in and get the new title in their name. I'm assuming we take off our plate because I will transfer it to our new vehicle. Beyond these things, is there anything else you do to complete the sale? Do I need some sort of contract that states I'm selling this car AS IS and I have stated the problems to the best of my knowledge but we're not responsible for the repairs?

I dont know where you live, but i believe you need to go over to the tag agency/DMV and get the car signed over in his name that way in the event "random dude" robs a bank or whatever and uses the $750 creme puff as a getaway car the law dogs don't come after you and your hubby. Then you would really be in the dog house

I would at least contact tag agent/dmv and ask them about what the laws are in your state or area.

Good Luck :)

We signed over the title but we kept our tag and plate, he had his own that he put on. He has 15 days to take the title to the SoS.

Phil called his dad and he said as long as the guy understands the car is sold "as is" we're not responsible. That was my main concern, that I don't know enough about cars to "guarantee" the condition of the car.

yeah but what if he never does take the title down to get it registered in his name? I think its still in your name then....i could be wrong because im not current on all of the laws, etc.

I have always heard its best for both parties to go down to the DMV together that way you can sign it over to him there on the spot and then he can get it in his name right there which clears you of any potential liability.

As for the condition of the car, don't worry about that too much. He is clearly buying an "as is" car and it is the buyers responsibility to check it out thoroughly before handing over the cash. As long as you disclose everything you know about it i wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom