School? Academics? Jobs? Everyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ :yes:

I don't think that you're bad at procrastination... you must be damn good if you're working on an assignment that's 3 months late. Haha. :wink:

PM me your maths stuff or post here and I might be able to help. We did a shore study but it was on seaweed distribution.

Its a lot to post, so I cant really. But I need to interpret graphs and stuff. Its fairly obvious that theres a trend, but I somehow have to squeeze loads of info from it. :scratch:

I have NO idea what the sciences behind limpet size changes are either. :| Yeah, they modify their shapes for various reasons, but have nothing to write about, because I dont know how it happens. Something to do with calcium I imagine. :huh:

I hope I dont get an arse kicking tomorrow from the teacher. :uhoh:

Feeling a bit more content, as it turned out my coursework (though its still unfinished) wasnt as bad as I thought, and the teacher said Im good at writing "this sort of stuff". :D I find more formal writing easier.

Which leads on to my next problem, I have to write 2 pieces for English, which BOTH (together) total 2500 words. I thought I knew what I was doing, but after trying them, they both didnt turn out very good. :slant: Now I dont have a clue what to do...

Which leads on to my next problem, I have to write 2 pieces for English, which BOTH (together) total 2500 words. I thought I knew what I was doing, but after trying them, they both didnt turn out very good. :slant: Now I dont have a clue what to do...

I might be able to help you out. What seems to be the problem? Do you have a decent thesis statement?

Working 5-6 nights a week while taking 4 classes is waaaaaaaaaaaay harder than I expected it to be. I knew it would be difficult, just didn't know it would be this demanding. :crack:

My English class is only half a semester(runs until March 15th). So while I have more work to do, I'll be done with the class by mid-march. :)

I am seriously freaking about Biological Principals. And it doesn't help that my professor doesn't explain anything either. :|

I might be able to help you out. What seems to be the problem? Do you have a decent thesis statement?

Well the specification is neigh impossible to understand. Basically I have to write 2 pieces, 1250-ish each (to make 2500) and write a 1000 word commentary on the 2.

It can pretty much be anything, but not a story. Both pieces should be different, eg, cant have 2 letters, it should be like a letter and an article.

Im just having a hard time getting a topic and a form. I was working on a letter but the teacher didnt seem all that impressed with it, so Im having a rethink. Its hard to come up with an idea without it turning into directions or a list. :huh:

I could have done a review of NLOTH, but its not going to be out in time. :grumpy:

I haven't heard back yet about my Physical Geography exam, but I got my College Algebra exam back, after taking it last week, and I got an 84% outta 100%. :happy: The professor had all the exam grades sprawled out on his desk, and it turns out that I was one of the top five grades on the exam. :huh:
I studied pretty damn hard and pulled off a solid B, so I guess I have my work cut out for the remainder of the semester.

I have to write two papers for next week. One for Philosophy of Religion and one for my English 101 class. One of the reasons why I hate 3-day weekends. Professors and teachers take that as a cue to assign more schoolwork for us lazy students.

Assfaces. :angry:

I haven't heard back yet about my Physical Geography exam, but I got my College Algebra exam back, after taking it last week, and I got an 84% outta 100%. :happy: The professor had all the exam grades sprawled out on his desk, and it turns out that I was one of the top five grades on the exam. :huh:
I studied pretty damn hard and pulled off a solid B, so I guess I have my work cut out for the remainder of the semester.
Woo! :applaud:
Assfaces. :angry:
:lol:

You must get exam results pretty quick, It takes about 3 months to get our results. I did one in Jan and I think the results come back mid March. :huh:

You must get exam results pretty quick, It takes about 3 months to get our results. I did one in Jan and I think the results come back mid March. :huh:

Yikes, 3 months?? I'm so glad that the norm at my university is 10-15 working days for getting our results. Sometimes, it takes somewhat longer, but not longer than a month!

I'm no good at math, but if someone needs help with writing papers/letters or something (cultural topics like literature/history/media preferred) then I can help out, or with some foreign languages like German, French or Spanish.

Well, ours are sent away and marked, so I spose it takes a while to process. Do yours get marked by the uni/school?

Still annoying though. :grumpy:

Yup they do. It might be that our groups may be usually smaller than at your uni/school? But it's really annoying to have to wait so long to get your grades back, I agree :grumpy:

Well the UK has different exam boards for subjects. So if you're studying say, English, you could be doing a different course from another school or college. It'd still get you the same qualification, but its just different content.

You cant get the opportunity to get your paper back and see what you did wrong or anything either. I think you can actually, but you have to pay for it. They really need to revise the system for exams though, its so annoying.

I also sometimes follow courses from different faculties, but here in Holland they luckily have one system which handles all the grades.

Wow it does suck though that you cannot view what you did wrong or anything unless you pay for it! You should be able to view your test results properly, I think that's only right :|

Well the UK has different exam boards for subjects. So if you're studying say, English, you could be doing a different course from another school or college. It'd still get you the same qualification, but its just different content.

You cant get the opportunity to get your paper back and see what you did wrong or anything either. I think you can actually, but you have to pay for it. They really need to revise the system for exams though, its so annoying.

You can get copies of your scripts, and so can your school, when the exam is over. It's costly (for the two exam boards I know anything about) but you could always check the marking scheme and examiner's report when they're released. Your teachers will have access to them.

I cant remember anything Ive written to be able to do it from memory. But Im not in a position to be able to pay for every exam I fail or want to do better at either. :/

Yup they do. It might be that our groups may be usually smaller than at your uni/school? But it's really annoying to have to wait so long to get your grades back, I agree :grumpy:

I also sometimes follow courses from different faculties, but here in Holland they luckily have one system which handles all the grades.

Wow it does suck though that you cannot view what you did wrong or anything unless you pay for it! You should be able to view your test results properly, I think that's only right :|

That long wait only applies to exams taken in the last three years of school. Exams aren't sent away at univeristy as far as I know. At ours we always got our results back within 2-3 weeks. When the Dutch take the Havo (?) exams I thought they had to do national exams that are sent away for marking? I'm guessing youse have to wait for your marks too like they do in the UK? :scratch:

I cant remember anything Ive written to be able to do it from memory. But Im not in a position to be able to pay for every exam I fail or want to do better at either. :/

I never got scripts back, I don't know anyone who did. :shrug:

That long wait only applies to exams taken in the last three years of school. Exams aren't sent away at univeristy as far as I know. At ours we always got our results back within 2-3 weeks. When the Dutch take the Havo (?) exams I thought they had to do national exams that are sent away for marking? I'm guessing youse have to wait for your marks too like they do in the UK? :scratch:
yup :up:
I do think its the same over here as in Britain
by the time you get the results you've forgotten what you learned in the first place

Some tests are being sent away for marking here but that depends only from which faculty they come from (those marks can take somewhat longer like I said, but usually not longer than a month or so). Usually the tests are being marked by the 'indoor' professors. Then it takes 2-3 weeks like you said to get our results back.

I never got scripts back, I don't know anyone who did. :shrug:

I think if you didnt have to pay a lot more people would. :slant:

Due to the amount of processing that goes with it, its not really worth the exam boards while to give them back withoutu charging though. Its a shame you cant even just photocopy your exam before you hand it in.

Could anyone help me out with some philosophy?

I gotta write a paper about David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, and his main points. I have to identify the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes. Alongside that, I have to give my opinion, whether I agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design, yes or no), and so on.

:|

My philosophy paper isn't going well because it requires so much mental energy. Haha. It's due tomorrow so I'm probably gonna be up all night with Red Bull in my hand... constantly.

My english paper, however, is going well. It's due Thursday so Wednesday night I'm gonna be up all night with Red Bull in my hand... constantly. Again. Hah. It's supposed to be on freedom from something, or just an argument in general. We have to relate it to one or more of the four topics that were available: economy, freedom, education, democracy.
There's a student doing animal rights, others doing slavery, others doing the economic struggle our nation is going through....

.... I decided to do the legalization of (medical) marijuana... and how it'd help the economy. Is that a little far-fetched?

Here are my argumentative points:
cash crop, employment opportunities, support agriculture, clean out the overpopulated prison system with marijuana charges, decrease the amount of money the United States has put into drug/marijuana prevention, help the economy with money flow, statistics of alcohol/painkillers/other legally acceptable substances related accidents in comparison to marijuana related accidents, medical care would improve for those with severe illnesses, there's no drug tax...., and some others that I can't remember. Of the topics, I was going to relate it to freedom of choice and economy.

Any help for a thesis statement? I'm terrible with introduction and conclusion paragraphs. Also, any ideas on another topic I could choose? I thought about abortion, euthanasia, minimum wage and the working poor, death penalty, obesity, and other "hot topics". None of them are of great interest to me, but the marijuana thing is of incredible interest.

So... yeah. Is my topic an :up: or :down:? Would it be a good topic for argumentation?

I can help with politics. Of course I was schooled in the States, so we're only taught American politics.

I study politics (in England), and I studied UK and European politics in the first year and American in the second :hmm: Did you not study any aspects of other countries politics, if only as a comparison with American government?

Could anyone help me out with some philosophy?

I gotta write a paper about David Hume's Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion, and his main points. I have to identify the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes. Alongside that, I have to give my opinion, whether I agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design, yes or no), and so on.

:|

That sounds really interesting :up: I read Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion quite a while ago because of some work I was doing on Cicero (and this was based on De natura deorum) - while I have a better understanding of the bracketed work, I could perhaps help you on some of the fundamentals. What is the exact wording of the question you were given, or is it just a discussion? If so, in terms of what specific aspect? One of the views, the differing views in relation to one another, or how he presents them... etc.

So... yeah. Is my topic an :up: or :down:? Would it be a good topic for argumentation?

Marijuana is always a debatable topic, so you probably wont have a shortage of source/research material. And you'll be able to have a good oppurtunity for persuasion. I say its a good choice. :up:

Ive ended up writing a speech about recycling and waiting to do a NLOTH review. I need to rethink my recycling one apparantly, because my audience isnt right. :grumpy:

^thanks a lot Ellena! thank you for motivating me! :wink:

What is the exact wording of the question you were given, or is it just a discussion? If so, in terms of what specific aspect? One of the views, the differing views in relation to one another, or how he presents them... etc.

Here's the actual rubric/lectured information: it's supposed to be an opinionated paper while containing all of the arguments in the text.

- Identify main points of Hume's argument. What are the four arguments that Philo makes to Cleanthes?
- Do you agree with Humes (ex. intelligent design)?

So far I'm thinking that the four arguments are all amongst empiricism (?): "intelligent design"-- the world as a "perfect machine", fideism, the problem of evil, and maybe the ontological idea. I don't even actually know. Haha.

Now that I think about it.... I guess I'm struggling with this. :slant:

By the way, thank you for your help! :)

.... I decided to do the legalization of (medical) marijuana... and how it'd help the economy. Is that a little far-fetched?

Here are my argumentative points:
cash crop, employment opportunities, support agriculture, clean out the overpopulated prison system with marijuana charges, decrease the amount of money the United States has put into drug/marijuana prevention, help the economy with money flow, statistics of alcohol/painkillers/other legally acceptable substances related accidents in comparison to marijuana related accidents, medical care would improve for those with severe illnesses, there's no drug tax...., and some others that I can't remember. Of the topics, I was going to relate it to freedom of choice and economy.

Personally, I think you overestimate the effect that medical marijuana would have - if it becomes an acceptable drug to be used, then it would be subject to FDA regulation and would most likely not be grown by average people because they could not comply with the regulations. Additionally, the patient population for which marijuana is a viable option is rather small - not nearly enough to impact the economy in any significant way.

Back
Top Bottom