Road Trips!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I flew to LA for my California-Arizona-Nevada road trip that took just over 3 weeks. :)

What did you like better, that or New England/northeast?

I'm not that into mountains or deserts, maybe I would change my mind (but I dunno...I wasn't too impressed with the dry-er mountains and desert type areas we saw in Africa). I love a (sandy) coast or a forest. I would like to see Yosemite or go waaaaay north to Banff.

That's awesome.

Not many people have heard of it because it's such a tiny place.

I stayed at the motel that's built out of a big ol' giant tree ... or something like that. It was nice to lie in bed and listen to the foghorn out on the ocean.

I love roadtrips like you don't even know :heart: Long ones or short ones, doesn't matter. I've dropped everything last minute to run off somewhere many times(back in the days when I had a car :sad: ). Drove 14 hours to North Carolina to see friends once. Going with friends is fun, but I also love putting on music and going alone. I can drive for hours, easy, lol. Oh, I have stories.. :hmm: lol

Furnace Creek Resort and Golf; thought about it but never made the trip! wanna hook up????? :yes:

I drove past it, it looks so strange out there, such a fancy place in the middle of nowhere.

But they do have a pool heated by a natural spring so, HELL YES.

When I was a kid we used to drive from east of Cincinnati to Boston to visit my maternal grandparents every year. Usually we'd take a couple of days, but once in a while we'd push and do it all in one. I enjoyed those trips.

Although I don't often get the chance to take off too much now (damned responsibilities :angry: ) I have in the past several years done a couple "follow a band" road trips which I enjoyed a lot.

The first one was east of Cincinnati (about 50 miles east) to Detroit, then to Chicago, then to Milwaukee, then to Minneapolis, then to Kansas City, then home. Approx. 2200 miles (should have been 2100 miles but I got lost in every single damned city :crack: ) in six days. And the last leg, from KC home (about 630 miles), has been the longest distance I've driven at one time.

The second "follow a band" road trip was much more compact: Columbus to Indianapolis to Cincinnati to Cleveland to Chicago to Milwaukee then back to Columbus in six days. It was only about 1500 miles. Got lost in Chicago again :rolleyes: (during Friday afternoon rush hour which made it even more fun!), but managed to do pretty well in the other cities (I didn't get lost in Milwaukee only because I had a friend with a good sense of direction with me. I swear I would have ended up in the lake without her).

With the exception of Chicago to Milwaukee and back to Chicago on the second trip, both of these trips were solo. I really like driving alone. :yes:

When I was a kid we used to drive from east of Cincinnati to Boston to visit my maternal grandparents every year. Usually we'd take a couple of days, but once in a while we'd push and do it all in one. I enjoyed those trips.

Although I don't often get the chance to take off too much now (damned responsibilities :angry: ) I have in the past several years done a couple "follow a band" road trips which I enjoyed a lot.

The first one was east of Cincinnati (about 50 miles east) to Detroit, then to Chicago, then to Milwaukee, then to Minneapolis, then to Kansas City, then home. Approx. 2200 miles (should have been 2100 miles but I got lost in every single damned city :crack: ) in six days. And the last leg, from KC home (about 630 miles), has been the longest distance I've driven at one time.

The second "follow a band" road trip was much more compact: Columbus to Indianapolis to Cincinnati to Cleveland to Chicago to Milwaukee then back to Columbus in six days. It was only about 1500 miles. Got lost in Chicago again :rolleyes: (during Friday afternoon rush hour which made it even more fun!), but managed to do pretty well in the other cities (I didn't get lost in Milwaukee only because I had a friend with a good sense of direction with me. I swear I would have ended up in the lake without her).

With the exception of Chicago to Milwaukee and back to Chicago on the second trip, both of these trips were solo. I really like driving alone. :yes:

Which bands were you following?

I, too, love driving alone but also enjoy driving with my friends.

That's awesome.

Not many people have heard of it because it's such a tiny place.

I spent a night in Crescent City a couple years ago on a road trip to spend some time in Redwood NP. I love the landscape up there. I can't think of a better way to spend a morning than getting up early and taking a walk through a secluded redwood forest as the sun starts to filter through the trees. :up:

Which bands were you following?

The Church both times. :) The second time Rob Dickinson was also along as the opener, so that was a wonderful extra bonus. He's a hoot and simply wonderful with fans. Someone saw him recently and told him they had seen him last when he toured with the Church. Rob said it was the most fun he'd ever had touring. I think that was because of the female road crew. :D

I've been on lots but my most memorable was San Diego to Vancouver Brithish Columbia. I drove my 69 Camaro and my friend drove his Corvette. We made the trip up straight through non-stop (something like 1400 miles) in 1 day (20 some hours) :crack: That was in 1986, we were on our way to the World's Fair - Expo 86. It was fantastic. Spent a few days at the Worlds Fair, did sightseeing in BC. We ran out of money somewhere in Canada... it was an interesting trip home :lol: But what a great roadtrip!! I still think about it all the time.

The Church both times. :) The second time Rob Dickinson was also along as the opener, so that was a wonderful extra bonus. He's a hoot and simply wonderful with fans. Someone saw him recently and told him they had seen him last when he toured with the Church. Rob said it was the most fun he'd ever had touring. I think that was because of the female road crew. :D

Very cool. I almost saw Dickinson before I moved to Chicago...forget why I had to skip the show. He was playing a very very small venue, it would have been great.

Following a band around for a bit is fun.

I LOVE road trips. I prefer to be the map holder because I'm a control freak and like to follow where we're going. I have a gigantick atlas of the US that I highlight my routes for every trip I go on. My last few big trips have put me in the driver's seat, which can be fun too but I'd rather watch the map and the sights. I drove from Minneapolis to Cleveland a few years ago...stayed the night on the way there but on the way back, we just really wanted to get home. I drove 14+ hours straight :crack:

I've been on more road trips than I can count. Tons from Minneapolis to all over Wisconsin and lots of times to Chicago. Also Ohio to Memphis. Also did some really weird routes a few years ago to see U2 in random places that I probably wouldn't ever visit on one trip. Plus lots of trips around Southern CA starting from LA or San Diego. Some of the LA trips involved road trips to Joshua Tree, Palm Springs, and Vegas. Also have gone from Phoenix to Joshua Tree and Vegas. I've spent a lot of time on I-10 from LA to Phoenix in the last 6-7 years. So I guess I've done a lot of Midwest and Southwest trips but never anything on the east coast. I've been there but just flew to a specific city and stayed put. I'd love to take some sort of train trip around Europe one day.

My next big road trip will be to drive home from Phoenix, where I currently work, to my real home in Minneapolis. As soon as I find a job and a road trip buddy, I'm out of here. But in the mean time, more trips down I-10 towards LA coming up. I can't wait to get in the car and drive through the mountains and desert :drool:

What did you like better, that or New England/northeast?

I'm not that into mountains or deserts, maybe I would change my mind (but I dunno...I wasn't too impressed with the dry-er mountains and desert type areas we saw in Africa). I love a (sandy) coast or a forest. I would like to see Yosemite or go waaaaay north to Banff.

I liked the Southwest better as a road trip because it's so different and you won't see it anywhere else in the world. Just a very unique landscape. Grand Canyon is beautiful and the California deserts are really lovely.

But I also very much like water and forests so I enjoy that as well, although I prefer to stay more put in those areas and do things like hiking, etc. If you go to Banff, make sure you go north to Jasper, that's less of a tourist trap and almost everyone I know who has been to both has preferred it.

Wow, I'm feeling the Crescent City love. When I left So Cal I was either going to move up there or here to Southern Nevada. I think I made the right choice. I really should get back up there for a visit, though.

The "Racetrack" has been on my list of places to go and take pictures for a while. :up:

Isn't that just the most amazing thing you've ever heard of? I missed it on my trip even though it was the one place I wanted to see the most. Because of the route I took (entering from the west in California and driving east across the valley back into Nevada) it was just too far out of the way. I did have a good reason for that, though, so no regrets.

However, as soon as the weather cools, back I go.

My Wife and I recently drove 8 hours straight from Toronto to Hershey Pennsylvania and did not kill each other so that was a plus :up:

I actually had a really good time and the scenery through the mountains was really impressive... the various road kill - not so much...

Back
Top Bottom