Road Trips!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm itching to go on one right now! :drool: Preferably westward across the continental US with no specific plan but just connecting all the cities and towns I want to see. :drool: and probably ending in San Francisco or Seattle. I would need a ridiculous amount of time off for this to actually be possible though! :lol: :sigh:

The last road trip I was on was about 3-1/2 hrs to DC. And the longest I've been on was to Panama City FL, about 19 hrs away. But my friend drove the whole way. I suppose the longest I've driven is 4-1/2 hrs to Boston. :hmm:

What about you guys? Talk about some of your trips here. Who's driven the longest distance? :drool:

Furthest I've personally driven is 4.5 hours (335 miles). Furtherst I've ridden in the car is from Seattle to Detroit. I'm not sure how far that is, but it took two full days.

When I was a kid we used to drive from California to Nebraska every year to visit family there. It would take about 5 - 7 days. We would drive all day, and sometimes stop at landmarks like the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, etc before staying the night in a motel only to get up again in the morning and keep driving. When we were kids it was fun and we got to see a lot of neat things, things I wish I would have appreciated more now that I'm older and look back on it. We've got pictures though and its always fun to look back on.

In my adult life the furthest I've driven is from here (San Fran area) to Vegas (about 9 - 10 hours). I will never do that again lol. :crack:

I went on a road-trip from Chicago to Las Vegas and back just a couple of months ago. We spent a few days at Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and checked out the Grand Canyon, too. It was a blast.

I'm no longer friends with half of the people I went on the trip with, though, so that kinda sucks.

The furthest I've personally driven (food/gas/pee stops only lol) is a tossup between Toronto and Savannah, GA (15 hours) and Toronto and Fredericton, NB (14 hours). Actually Savannah is a bit further but you can drive a bit faster through some of those states..I don't mind it, I'm a road warrior. What I do whenever I'm going on a long trip is leave the night before the day most would normally start out on. What that does is gives me a 8-10 hour headstart so that I'm only wasting a bit of the following day driving. When you're doing a 1 week March break in Florida, for instance, that day saved is another day on the beach :hyper: Less traffic, too. :up:

I just drove from NM to Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago, and back. I can drive for many many hours without stopping except for quick pit stops, or to change an alternator :|

I guess the farthest I've driven was from NYC to NM.

Road trips. :drool:

We went to Florida a couple of times when I was a kid, which was like 12 hours. The usual road trips we end up taking (which are more often than not required, because there's nothing in my city) range about 3-4 hours.

As a kid we'd drive from just north of Vancouver BC to California. We'd often go as far south as San Diego. We'd generally do it in a few days, as my Dad would drive, and he didn't want to do it all in one fell swoop. We'd drive Vancouver to Seattle, and stay with my grandparents there, then Seattle to my aunt's place in Northern Cali. A few days later we'd head further south.

Road trips were always so much fun, despite how much my brother and I would fight. I feel sorry for my poor parents, having to put up with all our bickering. We'd often pass the time by seeing how much of The Princess Bride we could quote, which was hilarious.

I've driven from Vancouver to Kamloops (around 4 hrs), Edmonton (12 hrs), Seattle (2 hrs) and a few other places, but am due for a good road trip sometime.

When I was a kid we used to drive from California to Nebraska every year to visit family there. It would take about 5 - 7 days. We would drive all day, and sometimes stop at landmarks like the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, etc before staying the night in a motel only to get up again in the morning and keep driving.

How could you drive from California to Nebraska and stop at the Niagara Falls? Wouldn't that be a little bit out of your way? :scratch:

How could you drive from California to Nebraska and stop at the Niagara Falls? Wouldn't that be a little bit out of your way? :scratch:

:lmao: I was wondering the same thing! And 5 - 7 days from Cali to Nebraska? Did you follow the longest possible route or something? :wink:

Cool thread Zoot!

Last road trip for me, was from....LA to Solvang to Yosemite National Park to Sequioa National Park to Reno to Lake Tahoe to San Francisco then back to LA via PCH highway......in 3 weeks.

Good times.

Longest distance was probably Toronto to Key West which is about 1725 miles (2700+ km).

I've also driven to Cape Cod from TO (maybe 600 miles), and I've done a loop from LA to Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe to San Fran, down to LA, which was quite lengthy.

I've also done a road trip in Europe from Germany to Croatia which was some 700 miles.

I love road trips.

We took various routes every year so that we could stop and see things like that.

My last road trip was up to the Pacific Northwest - Oregon coast, Seattle area, out to the Olympic Peninsula and back. Last year I did a 2 week road trip out to the Rockies and back for the fall colors (~4000 miles). I actually prefer driving to flying, because driving really lets you see the landscape change on a much more intimate level (can't exactly pull the plane over to the side of the road to check something out ;)).

I'm considering doing a roadtrip to the southwest sometime next month, to do some hiking & photography in places like Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park & Zion again.

#1 rule of road trips: bring a camera. :)

I absolutely adore road trips. Be they planned or spontaneous, I find them to be incredibly exciting and invigorating.

I've done NYC - FL three times.

Did Phoenix - NYC with a girl I was head over heels for. She was moving back to NYC and did not want to drive alone. Trip from hell, as it turned out, but, I still got to see a lot of the country that I'd never seen prior to that drive.

Did NYC - LA a few years back, which was great.

LA - Vegas at least 20 times.

I did a baseball road trip with my Dad around the Midwest which was very special.

Did LA - Grand Canyon twice.

Diemen, I've yet to see Arches, but I have been to Zion. :drool:

Few things in life, for me, are like the sense of freedom and discovery that you have while traveling.

Nice thread, Zoots.

Few things in life, for me, are like the sense of freedom and discovery that you have while traveling.

So true. I think I'm going to have to squeeze in a road trip in the next few weeks thanks to this thread - even if it's an overnighter to Yosemite or something (come to think of it I haven't been to Yosemite all year... :hmm: ).

Cumulatively, I'd bet my this year's salary that no one on the boards has driven the miles like Martha! she's driven the hell outta her cars and has the pics to prove it...:yes:

:yes:

It's going to take her some time to put it in writing.

I love road trips! The longest one I ever did was from Seattle - Provo, UT in one day (it was an insane 14 hours in one day), and then from there it was:

Provo to Santa Fe (non-interstates, with a stop at Arches National Park)

Santa Fe to Ruidoso, NM (the shortest leg, to visit my aunt)

Ruidoso into Texas and heading north through Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas

Liberal, KS to ... whatever town I stayed in in Nebraska

Nebraska to Casper, WY

east across WY, through Grand Tetons/Yellowstone National Park, across the border into Montana

Montana to Seattle (another good 12-13 hours of driving)

It was a bit much for a one-week trip, but awesome.

Zoots, let me know if you make it to Seattle. :)

I would love to take a trip to the North West...around Seattle.:hmm:

Carlos, you have a family, yes? Does that make taking road trips harder? Would your kids enjoy driving all the way up the Pacific? Me, I was always really subdued in the car, as I've loved travel from day 1 it seems...but some kids cannot sit still and it becomes a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom