Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
That's not what I was taught!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post

United States — Area (Total): 9,826,630 SQ KM
Australia — Area (Total): 7,686,850 SQ KM
I'm just saying your map is a bit distorted. And I think Cydewaze's total area includes Alaska...but that just proves my point that they are similar in size.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #108
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
And got lost in Aberdeen, home of Kurt Cobain.
That's excellent.

I would love to go there.

Sorry to hear that your trip was such a bummer.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
I would love to go there.
Because of the Cobain connection? Or just because? While the area in general is nice (due to the proximity to the ocean and all the trees and such), I can't really give much to recommend it. From what I've seen (admittedly only from my car window and the occasional pit stop), it seems run-down and sagging, and not in the charming Americana small town way.

I'm a fan of small and smallish towns, especially on road trips, but this is one of those that only strikes me as one I'd like to drive through as fast as possible.

... if I could only make it through without getting lost! (And I always get stuck behind logging trucks.)
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #110
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Because of the Cobain connection? Or just because?
Because of the Cobain connection.

I love going places where things happened.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #111
Blue Crack Distributor

Gotcha. I don't know what "historic" places there are to see ... or even what's still there from when he lived there.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #112
Neon Zebra

I would go anyway.

Heck, I've gone to a vacant lot to see where Chris McCandless once lived in a trailer.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #113
Refugee

Local Time: 07:31 AM
When I was in Italy this summer, we took a Vespa (little scooter) from the Tuscan coast all the way into Florence, it was a perfect summer day, and we rode through mountains, sunflower fields, farms, open road, highways, it was a 2 1/2 hour ride, and besides the butt itch of the seat, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
Heck, I've gone to a vacant lot to see where Chris McCandless once lived in a trailer.
Wow! Well, if you ever make it up this way, let me know.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #115
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Wow! Well, if you ever make it up this way, let me know.
That would be fun!

I wrote about my trip to the McCandless lot in my journal.

beegee's possible federal offense
Old 09-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonelistener View Post
I'm just saying your map is a bit distorted. And I think Cydewaze's total area includes Alaska...but that just proves my point that they are similar in size.
That's bullshit. I can't believe you'd say something like that. Do numbers control your entire life? I know well and good that my picture is to scale, as I am an astronaut geographer.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
i road trips!!!

I drove practically cross country from Jersey to Arizona. 16 states in 16 days. it was incredible!!!

soooo in the mood for another trip!!!
You could always drive from NJ to Chicago

The longest road trip I have ever been on was from Chicago to Delaware. Make that trip a few times out of the year and it usually ranges between 12-13 hours.

Another trip was from Chicago to MN and that one was 7 hours in the winter. Want to do more roadtripping!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #118
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Every few years my older brothers and I take a road trip back to our hometown in Mississippi to visit friends (BB King is also from our hometown, and a couple times we were able to time our trip with his annual outdoors 'homecoming' gig in nearby Indianola, which was awesome). Usually I drive from Indiana to Pennsylvania to pick up my next oldest brother, then we drive through West Virginia and Virginia to our oldest brother's home in the mountains in North Carolina, then from there we take backroads through Tennessee and sometimes Alabama to Mississippi. It's always interesting to see which places seem to have changed or not changed the most since we were kids (Virginia gets our most-visibly-changed award; West Virginia and Mississippi are in a tie for least-changed).

One time we took the kids on a long camping/road trip up into Ontario, over to Quebec, then down through the Adirondacks on our way back. Exhausting at times, but very memorable--lots of great wildlife-spotting in Canada (moose, bear, wolves, whales) and the town in the Adirondacks we stayed in was lovely.

I didn't do much of the driving either time, but in India I've 'road-tripped' from Chennai to Kolkata via Varanasi, as well as all along the west coast from Mumbai southwards--not a trip for travelers who require lots of creature comforts nor for nervous drivers, but IMO, by far the best way to see the countryside if you've got the time. It's probably a bizarre thing to choose as a memento but in my office, I've got a framed photo I took in some tiny one-street town in Kerala somewhere which greeted visitors with a gigantor vertical billboard, all in screaming electric pastels like those old Bollywood-movie billboards, only this was of a beaming, chubby-cheeked, thoroughly affable-looking Josef Stalin. My travel companion and I stopped to get gas there and we did ask the lady behind the counter about the sign, but neither of us understood enough Malayalam to make out her answer, except that her attitude was clearly an exasperated, "oh that ***damn thing."

I'd love to do a road trip across the Great Plains and into the Rockies someday--I've seen next to nothing of the West.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I'd love to do a road trip across the Great Plains and into the Rockies someday--I've seen next to nothing of the West.
I love the Plains - they're beautiful in their own way. And you have to see the West - desert, mountains (like, big, pointy, snow-capped mountains, not the big rolling hill type mountains elsewhere) ... heck, we've even got a rainforest out here!

I love the diversity of geography in America.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
in India I've 'road-tripped' from Chennai to Kolkata via Varanasi, as well as all along the west coast from Mumbai southwards--not a trip for travelers who require lots of creature comforts nor for nervous drivers, but IMO, by far the best way to see the countryside if you've got the time. It's probably a bizarre thing to choose as a memento but in my office, I've got a framed photo I took in some tiny one-street town in Kerala somewhere which greeted visitors with a gigantor vertical billboard, all in screaming electric pastels like those old Bollywood-movie billboards, only this was of a beaming, chubby-cheeked, thoroughly affable-looking Josef Stalin. My travel companion and I stopped to get gas there and we did ask the lady behind the counter about the sign, but neither of us understood enough Malayalam to make out her answer, except that her attitude was clearly an exasperated, "oh that ***damn thing."
Haha that's interesting! Was this when you visited India or did you live there? I'm originally from Chennai but have only traveled by train over there.