Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9 Stories is one of the best short fiction collections I've ever read. It's staggering.

If you liked Franny & Zooey, you'd probably like Raise High the Roof Beams Carpenters/Seymour (An Introduction). It's pretty much the same Glass family stuff.

Rory's shirt. :heart:

I read Catcher after Lennon was shot. I was young at the time, maybe too young to get it (I doubt it though, I was a fairly precocious reader as a kid) but it didn't leave any impact on me at all, and now, I barely remember it. My daughter is much the same, she didn't like it and thinks that Holden is a whiner. She read it again a few years later to give it another chance, and couldn't get through it. She also said that she imagines that On The Road could have been narrated by an adult Holden, and feels the same way about it.

Maybe the attraction to the book is a guy thing?

Seymour: An Introduction is a crazy read and I love it. Along with Nine Stories and F and Z. My favorite in Nine Stories is easily "A Perfect Day for Bananafish"

But Catcher will always be my favorite. I seriously can flip to any page of that book and find something that will make me either smile or laugh out loud.

Did you read The Little Friend?y[/I]

I did. I thought it was only okay. I really prefered the atmosphere in The Secret History, and I thought it was a tighter work. I see a copy of The Little Friend in every charity shop I walk into (I bought my copy in one as well), so I guess a lot of people were disappointed in it.

I almost put American Gods on my list, but I have some reservations about Neil Gaiman. I love his ideas and I really like him as a person, but I don't like his writing style most of the time. It's a bit like the writing in the Stephen King I've read. I think the Sandman comics are the only time when he is perfect for me, and that's probably because he has fewer words to work with. I'm reading The Graveyard Book now, though, and enjoying it so far, so maybe I also prefer him as a children's author. :shrug:

Yeah, I like Gaiman a lot...but not enough to crack the Top Ten. Top 25, he'd be there....probably for the Sandman Comics. I guess that with writers like King or Gaiman, their imagination trumps what they might lack in traditional writing skill.....for me, at least.

I had heard that The Little Friend was disappointing, but wanted to hear what you thought.

My daughter is much the same, she didn't like it and thinks that Holden is a whiner. She read it again a few years later to give it another chance, and couldn't get through it. She also said that she imagines that On The Road could have been narrated by an adult Holden, and feels the same way about it.

Maybe the attraction to the book is a guy thing?

I feel exactly the same way as your daughter. I couldn't stand Holden because I generally hate the "disenfranchised upper middle class white youth" meme that is so prevalent in the book. I just couldn't relate to it at all. But I didn't mind Salinger's literary style as much as Kerouac's. On the Road was 10x worse for me, and I found nothing likeable about the book at all.

I've totally forgotten 'Perfect Day for a Bananafish' but know I absolutely adored it when I read it. I think I need to get it off the shelf and read it again.

Just wanted to say that I love the title of this thread! Good job, GAF! :hi5: Sorry I don't have anything else to contribute. Wish I read more. :reject:

I'd heard The Little Friend was disappointing when it came out, so I didn't read it until a year or so ago.

I don't know what people found disappointing about it, so maybe it was good to wait!

My favorite in Nine Stories is easily "A Perfect Day for Bananafish"

I've totally forgotten 'Perfect Day for a Bananafish' but know I absolutely adored it when I read it. I think I need to get it off the shelf and read it again.

That one is great, of course (they all are, really), but the one that hit me the hardest is For Esmé - with Love and Squalor. Where the shellshock soldier meets the little girl in the choir and her brother. My god, what a beautiful story.

Currently reading Don Delillo's Falling Man, just started, the structure is a bit strange but the writing is impeccable.

I haven't read any post-Underworld DeLillo, been trying to go back and finish off all the older ones. So far I've gone through White Noise, End Game, The Names, and Mao II (probably my favorite of his). Ratner's Star looks pretty imposing, but I own it. Maybe I'll try Players next?

White Noise is next on my list for him, I'm quite interested in Underworld but I doubt I'll find the time to tackle it in the near future.

I almost put American Gods on my list, but I have some reservations about Neil Gaiman. I love his ideas and I really like him as a person, but I don't like his writing style most of the time. It's a bit like the writing in the Stephen King I've read. I think the Sandman comics are the only time when he is perfect for me, and that's probably because he has fewer words to work with. I'm reading The Graveyard Book now, though, and enjoying it so far, so maybe I also prefer him as a children's author. :shrug:

I guess that with writers like King or Gaiman, their imagination trumps what they might lack in traditional writing skill.....for me, at least.
I think NSW's point is key for me. Compelling plot and characterization almost always trumps writing style for me. With King, maybe it's because I've been reading him for so long, since I was a kid (I think I came across Carrie when I was 10 or 11), there's almost something familiar and comforting about reading him, almost like conversing with a dear friend. Also, I've found that I have very limited tolerance for supposedly brilliant writing that fails to hold my attention by being what I view as an almost masturbatory exercise in language usage without telling a compelling story. In the past year alone I've read and would place Ulysses, Mrs. Dalloway, and Tropic of Cancer into this category.

I feel exactly the same way as your daughter. I couldn't stand Holden because I generally hate the "disenfranchised upper middle class white youth" meme that is so prevalent in the book. I just couldn't relate to it at all. But I didn't mind Salinger's literary style as much as Kerouac's. On the Road was 10x worse for me, and I found nothing likeable about the book at all.

Very good point. Maybe back when they were published, the whole "disenfranchised upper middle class white [male]" thing wasn't as prevalent as it is today, so they gained some sort of mythic popularity that's been perpetuated since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom