R.I.P. Circuit City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
Just heard on the news that Circuit City was unable to find a buyer. They will be liquidating their assets and closing all remaining stores.

Personally, I haven't shopped there in quite some time. I feel bad for all of the people that will be out of work, though.

They are supposed to start liquidating inventory as early as tomorrow, so if you're in the market for a new TV...

That's a shame. I knew that they closed a few stores around where I live, but I didn't know that they were that deep in the red.

I worked there in the late 90's, when they still had great salespeoeple receiving commission. They had their own business identity then, and stood out from Best Buy. Then, as Best Buy grew and became the #1 electronics retailer, CC decided that they needed to be more like BB, so they ditched the great salespeople and went with cheaper, younger labor. That was the beginning of the end.

Customer service sucks at Circuit City ... I work in a mall ... I remember how scared my boss was when a CC moved into town about a year ago ... However, we get customers nearly every day that tell us horror stories about their shopping experiences at Circuit City ... I've been in there a couple times, and had to actually walk up to employees to get help ... I guess they are taught not to engage the customers unless the customer comes up for help ... WOW !!!

I'm not really saddened nor surprised by this news. Their prices along with Best Buy and other consumer electronic stores are terrible in comparison to those prices found online. For me, the only purpose these stores serve is actually see and hold an item before purchasing from amazon, b&h, etc.

Don't be fooled by the signs that say 10-30% off liquidation sale either. The liquidation companies jack up the prices before taking the markdown so you save nothing the first few weeks of the sale.

I'm bummed for the people that are losing their jobs, but definitely NOT upset that we are losing one of our biggest competitors. :D

more commissions :drool:

I'm sad for those losing their jobs, but every single time I've shopped there I've had an unpleasant experience.

I am the Kiss of Death...I parked in front of our Circuit City on Wednesday afternoon and asked BAW, "WTF, I thought those guys were closing!" within 24 hours, bye-bye...

I may wander in and look for another wine fridge...sell the one's I have and consolidate my inventory...:hmm:

I worked at cc back in the late 90s in the warehouse part of the store. They had great salespeople. Like phan said when they went non comission they started to suck and now have failed. The last time I stepped foot into a cc I was going to buy a bliu ray player the sales guy was like sony is good for live action samsung blu ray players are good for animation. I left and bought at video only, and at a much cheaper price. The stores were un orginized and staffed with young kids and clueless managers. Like martha said I miss good guys.

The only drag for me is that Circuit City was closer than Best Buy. The nearest Best Buy is 20-25 minutes away.

I never shopped at CC because their DVD and CD aisles were always a mess. Nothing was in order so you could never find what you wanted. Maybe that's because they got rid of the good salespeople and hired instead the lousy ones.

But yeah, its a shame thousands of people are going to lose their jobs. Just what the world needs!

Went to two CC's today; BAW stocked up on Wii equipment; no wine fridges for me...but I did see how they reduced the prices for the first couple days...
Everything is 10% as marked...Items marked Clearance, also 10% additional off...however, everything marked, for example, a Canon camera, Sale $499..that's it, no less at the cashier...

However, starting in two or three days, its 30% and upward until everything is gone...The CATCH, is those SALE items will be jacked back up to Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price...so that, Canon camera marked $499 will soon become $750 "less 20%" and so it only looks like you're getting a deal...

I nearly paid $1199 minus 10% for a 47" Vizio Plasma TV = $1,080 + tax....

I came home and priced it out, Sam's Club has it for $998, everyday price, glad I hesitated.

:rant: I hate when stores do that reverse "sale" calculation and psychology on consumers! Guess they are fervently attempting to make as much revenue as they can before closing the doors. Oh well...RIP CC is what I say! :wave:

I had a car stereo put in at a CC a few years ago, and it came with a warranty I think it's still under, and they told me I could bring it to any CC before I got rid of the car and they'd take it out and put the old stereo that came with the car back in :|

I feel badly for the 30,000 people who are out of jobs now. When my dad told me about this last night, I kept telling him he was wrong, that only a handful of stores were closing. It's a shame that things fell apart so quickly.

I've always hated CC. I think they were way overpriced compared to Best Buy. The only thing I ever bought there was a case for my iPod nano that I could only find on the Apple website. Of course it was more expensive there but I didn't have to pay the shipping and could get it that day instead of waiting for mail.

For those of you that are World Market shoppers, there's a few states that have stores completely closing due to low performance. I worked at one in Minneapolis last year that was always super busy. It's one of the stores closing. The ones in Phoenix aren't nearly as busy and they're staying open. So stayed tuned on that. I won't be surprised if they're all going to close soon. I love that store so I really hope not.

Ditto.

I haven't shopped there in years because they never ever had the actual item that was in the ad. Their company policy seemed to be bait and switch.

Word.

But the biggest problem is that Best Buy will now have virtually no national competition.

CC opened a store last summer that was minutes from me, but it wasn't but a couple of month's later they decided to close all stores in Atlanta. It's a shame.

Were the wii prices pretty good?

Almost everything was 10% off and they had a few things on clearance. I got a Guitar Hero controller for $19.99 but everything else was just regular price, minus the 10%. Almost everything was pretty picked over too, especially the actual Nintendo brand stuff. They mostly had the generic stuff left.

We went there today. I only looked at cameras. They wouldn't sell me a D90 body-only. Theirs had a nice lens on it, but not the one I want. I'm going to call this week and ask about the display model. The kid said they would probably start selling them tomorrow. The camera deals weren't anything special and the sale was only 10%.

Back
Top Bottom