question re: those who no longer have wisdom teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
mine were pulled today. was put under for it.
LOTS AND LOTS OF PAIN. i can't even sleep.
they gave me lame drugs. ibuprofen 400 mg.

how long did it take for you to feel better, by chance? a day till you noticed an improvement?
when could you eat again?
and when did you feel almost normal?

i only had three wisdom teeth, but as of this morning they're all gone.

thanks for your answers.

I feel your pain... Where you awake when you had them out? I was :|

My top two popped out pretty easy... my bottom two were impacted and he had to drill into them and split them apart :|

I'm not sure what disturbed me more - the pressure as he pulled them out or the popping and cracking noises as they broke apart :crack:

Anyhow, I was on Tylenol 3's afterwards, which did a good job of dulling the pain. It took about a week or so for the pain to subside...

hang in there.

I had all 4 of mine out a loooooong long time ago. They weren't impacted. They knocked me out, removed the 4, and I don't remember much else. Sorry, not much help here :happy:

I had two and I had them pulled at the dentist while I was conscious b/c it was WAY cheaper than "oral surgery". One was VERY embedded, worst one he'd ever seen. Anyway, the recovery was different. The one that came out nice was not sutured, the socket was left open, that one hurt more and took longer to heal. I was also a lot more careful about letting it clot. I could not suck on straws, could not rinse the area or let anything touch it for quite a while. The embedded one was sutured b/c of the damage to the tissue, but ironically it hurt a lot less, healed very quickly. I had the sutures pulled after three days and was just careful not to eat chips on that side of my mouth.

For the embedded one, the dentist laughed and gave me another shot of lidocaine before I left, but for both I went home with Tylenol. I took some in front of him b/c I think he thought I would need it, but didn't really take much after that. No prescriptions. I walked home after mine were done.

The first day it felt like throbbing pressure, then after that it was more of that acute itchy feeling you get when something is actually healing, like you want to reach back there and scratch it.

Interestingly, I only had three too.

The pain will depend on whether they were pulled out or cut out. The ones that are cut out are far more painful. I only had one that was like that, and it was not pleasant.

I would also suggest a regular rinse of warm water with salt added. Not all oral surgeons seem to mention this, but it seems to make it feel better and often prevents dry socket, which is not desirable at all!

thanks a lot everyone.
it's good to read your stories. makes me feel less sorry for myself... ha.

I got mine pulled 3 years ago. All 4 were compacted. I was put under for removing them. As soon as I woke up, I felt very hot and was pale. I went to bed when I went home and slept for a while. The next day all I ate was ice cream, potatoes, and apple sauce. I just hung out around the house and watched the 1st season of The 4400. There was some pain, but not a lot. The following day (Sunday), I went on a walk across Delaware with my dad. I felt ok, not great, but pretty well to be taking a long walk just 2 days after getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. But I was determined to take that walk, so I guess your body can cancel out the pain or discomfort if you are determined enough to do something. I went back to my boarding school that night. Ate just soft foods, like pasta and soup for the week afterward.

Hey Zoom, the pain should last no more than a couple of days...just keep those med coming.
Hope the pain goes away soon.

mine were pulled today. was put under for it.
LOTS AND LOTS OF PAIN. i can't even sleep.
they gave me lame drugs. ibuprofen 400 mg.

how long did it take for you to feel better, by chance? a day till you noticed an improvement?
when could you eat again?
and when did you feel almost normal?

thanks for your answers.

You're going to be in excruciating pain for at least a week, especially if any of your teeth had to be cut out. Sad, but true. You'll also probably lose a kilo or two because the process of chewing becomes akin to self-mutilation. I remember trying to eat a sandwich about five days after having all four of my impacted wisdom teeth removed and crying the whole time because each bite made me feel like I was going to die. I'm not even exaggerating.

Ibuprofen's better than other painkillers because it doesn't have as many side-effects. I was given codeine and it made me vomit over and over again. Vomiting after you've had your wisdom teeth removed is not enjoyable. Vomiting isn't enjoyable at any other time, of course, but it's far worse when your gums have been cut and stitched up.

Like melon said, warm salt water helps a bit.

I had all four out right after I graduated from college. Two of them were causing a lot of tenderness and occasional pain. My mom scheduled an appointment to get them out before I came off of their insurance plan, as I was no longer a student.

They knocked me out completely for it. I remember getting the shot, and then the next thing I knew, he was pulling off his gloves and saying "okay, you're all done." That is wild - the first time I'd been under anesthesia.

I remember lots of cotton in my mouth and drooling a lot, but I don't recall being in excrutiating pain. I'm sure I had some pain meds, but I don't remember it being that bad.

... which maybe means that it was so horrible, I blocked it out. ;)

I had 4 wisdom theeth, and I didn't want a narcosis, and the local anesthetics did hurt the most. At first it didn't work so I got two more injections...:sigh:
I can't really say when it went better cause my face felt numb a few days...lol! And I didn't eat cause I was scared of infection, but I think after a week it should go better though.

I'm not sure what disturbed me more - the pressure as he pulled them out or the popping and cracking noises as they broke apart :crack:

yeah I had that too, awful! ok mine didn't broke but the last one was pretty insistent, and I remember the doc. mumbling and my head was lifted every once a while, cause he didn't get it out. :happy:

I had all four of mine removed. I bruised up a bit and was in a lot of pain, but after a couple days, it started getting better. I found that using a heating pad helped me a lot too.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

Mine were impacted and had to be cut out when I was 16. The swelling was so bad that I couldn't make the rest of my top and bottom teeth meet in order to chew/bite anything. This meant only solid foods. I couldn't even chew the noodles in my soup, I had to cut them in tiny pieces with my spoon first. Mashed potatoes came my food of choice for the following week.

I think maybe the dentist did my stitches weird though (the nurse who removed them remarked on it.) It seemed that I had a stitch on each side running through the inside of my cheek from the top to bottom gum, which probably made the swelling/discomfort worse. When I had my stitches taken out after a week, there was a huge improvement, and I was able to chew and function relatively normally once again.

As for pain, I had some kind of narcotic prescribed (vicodin?) but between barely eating and inadvertently swallowing blood, taking the pill made me really sick to my stomach/throw up, so I had to just deal with it.
If the medication you were prescribed isn't working/isn't strong enough, try calling the dentist back and telling them. Maybe they'll give you something stronger.

I had 4 taken out when I was in college, all 4 were impacted. I wasn't able to eat too well for about a week after until I had my stitches taken out. The morning after the procedure, I woke up with a blood soaked pillow - that was good times. Oh, and if anyone doesn't take the general anesthesia, you are insane. There is no way on God's green earth that anyone should be awake to watch those suckers get pulled.

I either had 2 or 3 compacted.

Honestly, I didn't find it particularly painful, the only thing that bothered me a lot was eating. I know that I was on liquids or mushy food like scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes for at least 3-4 days because otherwise it would bleed.

Mine were impacted and had to be cut out when I was 16. The swelling was so bad that I couldn't make the rest of my top and bottom teeth meet in order to chew/bite anything. This meant only solid foods. I couldn't even chew the noodles in my soup, I had to cut them in tiny pieces with my spoon first. Mashed potatoes came my food of choice for the following week.

I think maybe the dentist did my stitches weird though (the nurse who removed them remarked on it.) It seemed that I had a stitch on each side running through the inside of my cheek from the top to bottom gum, which probably made the swelling/discomfort worse. When I had my stitches taken out after a week, there was a huge improvement, and I was able to chew and function relatively normally once again.

i think this is the same thing as me. i can't close my teeth, but at i think i can feel something with my tongue back there that would indicate there's something preventing them from closing... not that i'm THAT swollen.

i am, though. just hopefully not that bad.

gibson girl, your story depresses me. that's horrible. even though i'm in the midst of all this, i think it's safe to say my story won't be anywhere near as bad yours.

Yeah. It was a miserable experience that I would never wish upon anyone. Hopefully you won't feel like you're dying when you move on to solid foods. That was the fucking worst.

At least the nitrous oxide was fun. It wore off fairly quickly, but Jesus, those were the best twenty minutes of my life. Everything was great. Everything was hilarious. Although looking back on it, I guess it IS kind of disturbing that I laughed hysterically and uncontrollably when I first noticed that my shirt was covered in blood...

ha i wasn't even on that shit when i did the same thing at midday! i saw myself in the mirror, and laughed (on the inside, not the outside... that causes pain) that i looked like an infected from 28 days/weeks later.

bloody mouth. blood everything. it was gross.

i should mention that i didn't go on to attack anyone or spread what in all appearances looked to be the rage virus.

I had mine out about 12 years ago. I can't remember if I was awake or not, but I had some kind of IV sedation in the chair. No hospital. Everyone said I was crazy to do it that way but I don't really recall much of it. Some weird light floating above me and the distant and far-away sound of me saying "argh!" :lol: I don't recall much of it. The dentist said I was OK until they got to one tooth which was impacted and had a bunch of problems.

The pain was, again, something I don't recall too much of. I think the first 24 hours were hell, but then the pain subsided to bad toothache pain. I dosed myself up on panadeine forte for a few days and then had normal paracetemol until I was eating normally.

Oh, and if anyone doesn't take the general anesthesia, you are insane. There is no way on God's green earth that anyone should be awake to watch those suckers get pulled.

I wanted to be awake but my doctor didn't agree with me. Would have been fun to watch... :reject:

I got the four of them removed this summer. Only one was impacted, the other ones were half out. Once I was awake, I was up and running :happy:

Back
Top Bottom